Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

what happened to the big/nice UA planes for transcon routes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what happened to the big/nice UA planes for transcon routes?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1K, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by RNE
You can always upgrade to FC.
i AM talking about F....seats are awful...pretty much just like all of CO was

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Even in First the seats are awful! Even better I get a proud to be Continental flight crew! No thanks! This route is going down to 319/320/737. This is unheard off. This flight was 747's, 777, 767's. The least should be multiple 757's but no it looks almost exclusive 319/320.

Is this due to the 767's being out of service for the refurb project? I know ORD-IAH now get a 3 class 767 at the same time as the ord-sfo used to be.

You have 3 redeye flights. Is that really needed? The Hawaii 777 should turn around and do hnl-sfo-ord-sfo-hnl, like it used too.
EXACTLY...

WTH? have always had a couple big planes...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 27, 2012 at 10:06 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 27, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by tuolumne
[COnforming moderator edit to original quote.]

Second, you are unwilling to admit to yourself and others that the fleet planners making said decisions have made serious lapses in judgement already. Why do you and the other loyalists then assume we must all get on or knees and service them with praise? These morons are quickly discovering their small ball tactics that worked with an airline 40% of the size are wreaking havoc on an actual global airline.
morons? how so?

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Aug 28, 2012 at 8:04 am Reason: See above.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:04 am

I demand 744 service between ORD and MDW/RFD!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:01 am
Suspended

Second, you are unwilling to admit to yourself and others that the fleet planners making said decisions have made serious lapses in judgement already. Why do you and the other loyalists then assume we must all get on or knees and service them with praise? These morons are quickly discovering their small ball tactics that worked with an airline 40% of the size are wreaking havoc on an actual global airline.
Of course fleet and network planners can make mistakes - they're human just like everyone else. However, we should remember they have oodles of actual data, statistical models, and years of experiences to support their decision. It is understandable to feel disappointed in having a smaller aircraft placed on a route you fly frequently, but it makes no sense to imply the network planners are stupid, emotional, or retaliatory in their actions.

Oh, CO was 78% of the size of UA (91% if looking at the number of aircraft) prior to the merger. Not sure where the 40% came from.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
It is pretty apparent from any impartial observer that pmCO had a severe shortage of wide body aircraft.
pmCO had less widebody aircraft than UA. I don't think anyone is disputing that - unless there's a post I've missed?

Do you have any evidence that they had a shortage, let alone a severe shortage?

WN has lots more 737s than UA. Does UA have a severe shortage as a result? Can you explain the logic here?

Of course the cheerleaders will not and have never fully acknowledged this crucial fact
Anyone who doesn't agree with you is a cheerleader? Right.

, one that makes this whole "pmUA had an inefficient fleet" appear like the nonsense it is. The fact is it was CO, not UA, with the "inefficient fleet". Having less than a third of the wide body lift of pmUA, CO was forced into lots of 'creative' fleet planning that resulted in sub-optimal efficiencies.
Again - explain the logic here. CO had less widebody aircraft than UA, and now that the combined airline is using its combined widebody fleet more efficiently (fitting eligible aircraft with winglets, adding light weight IFE on the 744s, switching the aircraft used on specific routes) that means that it is "nonsense" because... CO had less widebody aircraft before. Have I got that right?

pmUA had a high load of premium-dense intl. equipment, too high for some markets (ex-MAD), but the implication that they needed to put more in the desert in order to be more efficient (and take away the 3-cabin intl. rotation from "over entitled elites) - what a load bogus trash.
They should be put in the desert if they have too many. That's not a difficult concept. If you have excess fleet capacity to the extent that you're sending 747s and 777s on a material number of domestic trips then yes, you probably (a) have too many or (b) should be finding new international routes where they can be used and actually make money for the airline.

As for the stroke of genius supposedly in he new fleet planners - yeah, alright. The new "fleet planners" had the mandate to initiate an extreme new efficiency program no matter the associated risk profile. The cross fleeting program, along with the CDG and HKG debacles, have been a direct result of their fine work. The current operational performance proves how that risk came back to bite them in the .... The real world isn't a vacuum.
Do you know what fleet planning is? It doesn't mean using the aircraft that you want to have on a specific route for you as a passenger. It is an exercise in extracting the most $ out of a set of aircraft. Just because you didn't like the change of aircraft on a few route does not make them debacles by any stretch of the imagination.

How does the "current operational performance" have anything to do with switching aircraft on CDG and HKG routes? I didn't get the connection.

Wow - nice to see we can have a civilized, adult conversation here without anyone resorting to calling people "morons" - oh, wait a minute...

It is a generally accepted fact in the US airline industry that CO fleet planners were the best in the industry, and that the airline made much more progress than its peers in the areas of analytics, business intelligence, and fuel efficiency programs. Nobody has said anything more than that - but yet you take such dislike to this comment that you resort to calling them "morons" and then try to describe the otherwise civilized, rational discussion as "get[ting] on [o]ur knees and servic[ing] them with praise".

If you don't like that your aircraft got changed on a specific route then write a letter and complain - I'm sure it will be taken care of
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:40 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
I don't believe the widebodies on domestic routes were a result of improper utilization by PMUA at all. They were positioning flights in some cases, and in others, allowed the a/c to have higher utilization (rather than just sitting for hours at one of the international gateways).

COdbaUA has a different utilization strategy. So far, it does not appear to me to be working out better than PMUA's.

It's not a question of whether or not I as a pax get to fly them domestically, have a better shot at the u/g, etc., but of the awful delays propagating through the system at the drop of a hat these days due to the way aircraft are being utilized (and this is not limited at all to widebodies).
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by exerda
I don't believe the widebodies on domestic routes were a result of improper utilization by PMUA at all. They were positioning flights in some cases, and in others, allowed the a/c to have higher utilization (rather than just sitting for hours at one of the international gateways).

COdbaUA has a different utilization strategy. So far, it does not appear to me to be working out better than PMUA's.

It's not a question of whether or not I as a pax get to fly them domestically, have a better shot at the u/g, etc., but of the awful delays propagating through the system at the drop of a hat these days due to the way aircraft are being utilized (and this is not limited at all to widebodies).
As you say yourself, one issue has nothing to do with the other. As you can read above in this thread, for some people it really is because they don't like their aircraft being changed.

Regarding the reliability issue - there has been a huge increase in mx-related cancellations and other issues in the past few months; much more than existed on either pre-merger entity. Partly this is because of increased utilization, part of it is because of more deferred maintenance, part of it is the inefficiency of having two maintenance operations. All of these seem fixable, so hopefully we see an improvement in this area.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 28, 2012 at 10:44 am Reason: unnecessary
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:53 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by sxf24
Of course fleet and network planners can make mistakes - they're human just like everyone else. However, we should remember they have oodles of actual data, statistical models, and years of experiences to support their decision. It is understandable to feel disappointed in having a smaller aircraft placed on a route you fly frequently, but it makes no sense to imply the network planners are stupid, emotional, or retaliatory in their actions.

Oh, CO was 78% of the size of UA (91% if looking at the number of aircraft) prior to the merger. Not sure where the 40% came from.
Well, if CO was 78% of the size UA, then the people working on CO were working on an airline that was 44% of the size of the two when combined.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:23 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Originally Posted by star_world
I'm saying that PMUA placed less of a priority on fleet efficiency than several of its peers did, notably CO.
With respects, is this a fact or is this an opinion?

I ask as what was efficient for pmCO might not be efficient (or even practical) for pmUA and vice-versa. Also what other peers (AA? DL? WN? etc.) did place a greater emphasis on fleet efficiency and how did the unique aspects of their operations serve to define their concept of efficiency?

The influence of the fleet planners from the CO entity (generally considered as the best in the US industry)
Again, is this a fact or is this an opinion?

I myself I don't know either way as I've never worked in the industry nor had any formal training w/r/t to fleet planning, but I'd very curious as to the metrics your aware of used by the industry that suggest pmCO planners are the best.

The overhaul of the seating on the A319, which is an inefficient aircraft, to attempt to improve its operating metrics
How exactly is it inefficient? Based on what metrics? (For example is the fuel burn on a 319 with IAE's materially higher than on a 73G with CFM's? or do other factors outside the the mechanics of the plane, such as ALPA or AFA contracts, impede UA's 319's efficiency?)

If you have an abundance of premium-cabin-equipped longhaul aircraft and you don't have suitable international routes to operate them on, you have too many of them. Sell the excess aircraft or put them in the desert. The alternative approach, which UA adopted in the past, was to keep elite FF members happy by operating them on a fairly high number of domestic routes and handing out upgrades.
Are you sure this was their business logic and we're you present or privy to pmUA information that confirmed route planning guidelines were largely driven by FF feedback and upgrade percentages?

FWIW I'm inclined to agree with sbm12's comment:
Originally Posted by sbm12
Do you really believe that it is related to better serving the specific routes versus a simple fleet utilization calculation? I don't.
...and echo it in that the reason pmUA and pmCO had widebodies operating between the hubs was mainly due to operational reasons related to maximizing the efficiency of the operation (such as positioning aircraft, scheduled MX, cargo, crews, and whatever factors we as customers don't see) and *not* because of the ignorance or inefficiency of the pmUA route planners or to pander to FFers.

Originally Posted by J.Edward
In fact, pmCO did the same with regular rotations of 76's and 77's between IAH and EWR (it's just that we never saw them to the extent of UA, or even AA, as pmCO just did not have the multiple hub footprint of pmUA.)
And now they are being phased out on UA. I don't think that is a deliberate attempt to annoy elite FF members; rather I think it is due to finding more profitable uses for these aircraft.
To be clear, I too doubt UA is cherry picking A/C on select routes to annoy FF members, but again I'm not sure you can draw as strong a correlation here as your post implies.

And speaking of IAH widebodies, actually *more* are scheduled to be rotated through domestically in order support international services. For example looking at the newly uploaded Q4 flight schedule (specifically 11/8) they're two 76 services to EWR, 1 76 service to ORD, 1 76 service to SFO from IAH. This is *not* to say they're doing domestic turns, rather this is the optimum plan based on positioning aircraft/crews/cargo/etc. based primarily on international demand and very similar to the philosophy pmUA followed prior to the merger.

And that's the point I was trying to make in my earlier post: UA did not do domestic turns with widebody A/C -- that is to say they did not assign widebodies to just bounce back and forth between domestic city pairs with two notable exceptions (more on that in a bit) but rather the regular widebody rotation through the pmUA network was the optimal use of the aircraft considering the route planning/aircraft positioning/cargo/whatever considerations of the airline and not due to the ignorance or pmUA route planners which is what I hear you hinting at in your posts (and if I'm mistaken, please correct me.)

You can achieve a comparable level of domestic capacity using short-haul aircraft in higher quantities at a much lower cost.
If you have the gate capacity, the crew capacity, the runway slots, and whatever else are needed on a per flight basis, then yes, you can certainly run two flights vis-a-vis one large one. However if you're constrained (e.g. does EWR or ORD have that many spare gates or runway space in the evenings) on any of these then you run the risk of leaving fare paying passengers behind as you'll either have to cannibalize an existing flight's resources or fly the route with an aircraft too small to meet paid demand.

And to follow up with widebodies exclusively used for domestic turns: the only two instances I know of pmUA widebodies being assigned exclusively to domestic routes are the 763 subfleet (aka ghetto-birds) and an old 744 UA pulled out of the desert to shuttle between SFO and ORD. To that end, I think retooling the domestic 763s for international service makes sense (especially if they can go to the pmCO side an open up new routes) and bounce onto HA service when the 77As/753s/752s/73's can't cover the demand. I am not sure what happened to the 744 but I don't think it's still flying domestic turns (guessing it went back to the desert, was converted to the new international product, or sold.)

Also w/r/t to the size of pmCO and pmUA - here's the data from the 2009 10k (if someone wants to dig up the non-consolidated 2010 or 2011 10k and post those numbers please do so) but here's how the to airlines stood at the end of 2009:
pmUA Fleet:
319 - 55
320 - 97
752 - 96
----------
248 Narrowbody AC

763 - 35
772 - 52
744 - 25
----------
112 Widebody AC

============
360 mainline a/c
56m mainline passengers
123m ASMs
82% Load Factor
11.81 yield/RSM
pmCO Fleet:
735 - 34
733 - 3
73G - 36
738 - 117
739 - 12
73E - 30
752 - 41
753 - 18
----------
291 Narrowbody AC

762 - 10
764 - 16
772 - 20
----------
46 Widebody AC

======
337 mainline AC
46m mainline passengers
97m ASMs
82% Load Factor
11.58 yield/RSM

...also for comparison:

Delta Mainline
230m ASMs
82% Load Factor
12.60 yield/RSM

AA Mainline
152m ASMs
81% Load Factor
12.28 yield/RSM

Last edited by J.Edward; Aug 28, 2012 at 11:56 am Reason: post stats
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
From a purely nostalgic and novelty factor I enjoy a nice wideobdy. However, I flew RDU-IAD-ORD-RDU last weekend with IAD-ORD on a 767-300 (3-class) and ORD-RDU on an A-319. Naturally, I was in Y on both flights. Was the 767-300 that much of an upgrade over the 319? No. Especially as I had seat 21F on the 319 with no seat in front of me.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K/2MM, Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime
Originally Posted by jacroweORD
i do a lot of travel from ORD-SFO and am booking flts for next week...also just got back from a trip this week and it appears that afternoon 767 is gone, the evening 767 is the ghetto variety and most the 757s have been replaced with A319s...whats up?? ugh
Does ghetto variety mean the cattle cars that they fly to HNL?
Old Aug 28, 2012, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shortkidd
Does ghetto variety mean the cattle cars that they fly to HNL?
Spot on.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, USDM Gold, National Exec Elite, IHG Dumped-now Kettle, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by WhiteOut
the whole domestic air travel scene is nothing more than glorified greyhound bus these days...and i feel that way about all carriers....... So just get me there and back...low expectations, just give me my points so i can use em for vacation, and on to the next task...

This is how I feel too. I actually feel like I get better service with Amtrak even if it isn't faster. I build up segments domestically by not taking direct flights on work (or any) trips and then use those miles for flights to Europe where I can stay for free with friends.

If I'm choosing a carrier based on quality of service rather than building segments/miles for European trips, I'm picking Amtrak and getting a room.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
As far as efficient, I see 3 red eye flights between sfo-ord. That is not efficient. Better off sticking a domestic 777 on that flight.
That's more likely aircraft positioning that "efficiency." One way or another, those birds have to fly back home.

Regarding the 2-class 767 "Ghetto birds", I don't think any of those are in use TATL are they? The 2-class 767 PMCO plane I recently flew ORD-CDG was actually a very nice plane! Far cry from the old, thoroughly-worn-at-thje-edges PMUA 2-class 767s. I will even be so bold as to say that my seat in Y on the PMCO 767 was more comfortable than the "F" seat in the 2-class PMUA Ghetto Bird. Food? Not much different.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 7:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
That's more likely aircraft positioning that "efficiency." One way or another, those birds have to fly back home.

Regarding the 2-class 767 "Ghetto birds", I don't think any of those are in use TATL are they? The 2-class 767 PMCO plane I recently flew ORD-CDG was actually a very nice plane! Far cry from the old, thoroughly-worn-at-thje-edges PMUA 2-class 767s. I will even be so bold as to say that my seat in Y on the PMCO 767 was more comfortable than the "F" seat in the 2-class PMUA Ghetto Bird. Food? Not much different.
that was the former "ghetto bird" that you were on. There are I think 3 newly configured / retrofit PMUA 767-300's in service now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.