Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability on United Flights [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability on United Flights [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by Dawgg
Thanks. I meant to ask about TPAC not TCON. I have a ton of work to do that requires internet access and am willing to take whatever routing will guarantee me wifi access during the long haul flight.

When you flew ORD->SIN I'm assuming you had to stop somewhere, either in HKG or NRT?
There is no way to guarantee that your flight will have working WiFi. UA has not yet even committed to scheduling WiFi enabled aircraft on specific routes (expect domestic p.s. flights).

I have had good experience with WiFi (mostly down to SYD) however there are flights where it is installed and doesn't work and flights where the aircraft does not have it installed. In fact, the one time I planned on having it there was a last minute aircraft swap and I had to scramble to download items in the GFL prior to departure. If you have critical work that requires internet access I would find an alternative.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Thanks. I meant to ask about TPAC not TCON. I have a ton of work to do that requires internet access and am willing to take whatever routing will guarantee me wifi access during the long haul flight.

When you flew ORD->SIN I'm assuming you had to stop somewhere, either in HKG or NRT?
Yea, I was on UA 895 ORD->SIN with a stop in HKG. I will be taking this trip again in a few weeks and am having lots of trouble with GPUs and having questions about E+ seats...I prefer the stopover in HKG more than NRT, better lounges (try out the Wing!) if in J or F.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:42 pm

You'll need a route that is served by a 747 to have any chance of wifi. If you fly the TPAC from NYC you'll be on a 777 and none of those are equipped with wifi yet.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
You'll need a route that is served by a 747 to have any chance of wifi. If you fly the TPAC from NYC you'll be on a 777 and none of those are equipped with wifi yet.
Thanks, was just starting to notice all TPACs from NYC are 777's. Looks like I'm going to have to roll the dice and take a connection into ORD or SFO.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:06 pm

Thanks, was just starting to notice all TPACs from NYC are 777's. Looks like I'm going to have to roll the dice and take a connection into ORD or SFO.
SFO-HKG would guarantee the 747. One of the ORD- NRT is now on the 747 but not sure which one.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Originally Posted by UnitedFlyGuy
Looks like there is 1 United 777 with wifi at least according to UA.com...

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../default.aspx?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by danhunterpost
Looks like there is 1 United 777 with wifi at least according to UA.com...

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../default.aspx?
More than that but al domestic/hawaii config. Wasn't worth mentioning as he won't be on them.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 9:14 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum, AA Advantage Gold, HHonors Silver
What is the deal United with WIFI??

I travel almost weekly and still I only get wifi maybe 5% of the time on the plane. And then when I do get on a plane that advertises WIFI it rarely works. It is becoming a big joke. Anyone know what the deal is??

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 20, 2014 at 11:36 am Reason: let's use the existing thread
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
United struggles to roll out consistent inflight Wi-Fi experience
Old Jun 7, 2014, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Was on UA 1131 yesterday RDU/ORD on 739er ship 3809. Flight showed on UA fleet site that wifi was installed. Wifi was disabled for all flights that day, not sure why.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 1:55 pm

I was on UA838 NRT to SFO last week. Wifi worked for 2 hours, sporadically for another 1 hour and then they just shut it off. Luckily, United refunded my $16.99
Old Aug 1, 2014, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis First, Marriott Premier Plat, Priority Club Gold, Accor lapsed to nothing :D
Thumbs down Wifi on UA flights

All,

What is the real story with wifi on UA metal? I am sitting at 110k miles for this year, 90% of that on UA metal, and have had the sumtotal of 2 planes with wifi. Have they stopped this deployment? Maybe it is just the routes I fly...

Vic
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Wifi on UA flights

Did you try looking at the UA website?
All the details are there: all A319/320 and B744 and B752 PS have WiFi. 737s are 36% complete, 777 are 4%, no 763/4 and only one non PS752 have it.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
That aforementioned link: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...i/default.aspx
Old Aug 1, 2014, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Fly more sUA and less sCO and you'll find more wifi!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.