Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability on United Flights [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions/Discussion About WiFi Availability on United Flights [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Originally Posted by sknyski
Agreed! I ended up on one of the new 737's with no wifi OR IFE, on EWR-SFO yesterday!

bt
Yep, a couple of weeks ago I flew EWR-SFO on one of the crappy 73's without wifi or IFE. Yesterday I flew US PHL-SFO. Overall, I can't stand US, but it was a substantially better flight, due to wifi.

Edit: Gotta update this. I was thrilled that my flight yesterday on UA featured wifi. But the wifi didn't work (had no problem paying, just couldn't connect to the internet). Pathetic.

Last edited by endrond; Jan 12, 2014 at 1:07 pm
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:29 am

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
As the installs on the 319, 320 and 747 fleet are almost complete, does anyone know what aircraft types are next in line. I know the plan is to install on most of the fleet, just not sure in what order.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Got on a A320 yesterday with wifi. Too bad not a single seat on the aircraft had power (it's not installed).

Lots of good wifi does me if I can't keep my device powered
Old Jan 30, 2014, 6:50 pm

Do SFO-OGG Flights Have WiFi?

I'm flying at the end of February and early March. Do any of the the flights to/from Maui have Wifi? Based on the Wiki chart it seems like "no". If not, what are the entertainment options?
Old Jan 30, 2014, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by milemonkey
I'm flying at the end of February and early March. Do any of the the flights to/from Maui have Wifi? Based on the Wiki chart it seems like "no". If not, what are the entertainment options?
Nope and it depends on what the aircraft type is:

757-300 Will either have DirecTV (LiveTV won't work but you will have access to pre-recorded movies etc) or will have drop down monitors every few rows where 1 movie and a bunch of variety programming will be shown

737-800 Will have DirecTV. LiveTV won't work but you will have access to pre-recorded shows and movies.

Note also that even though LiveTV won't work you will still need to pay to activate the system if you are sitting in Y/C.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat
Why do I have to keep inputting ALL of my info to buy WiFi?

So, I sign into my MP account. Once I do that, you have my name, you have my address, you have my Pres. Plus card on file, why do you need everything fully re-entered each and every time I buy WiFi? It is super annoying, esp. on a phone or tablet. If I'm making a reward booking for an amount not far off from this $6.99 WiFi charge, I just enter the card sec. code ... makes sense to me. At least then, I'm not exposing all my info to SSL/TLS hackers or the NSA on each and every flight. Can we get this fixed?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA G
I seriously hate this too. Even Gogo gets this right.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott Plat
I do like being able to comment on the flight ... as I am on the flight. I was on a p.s. w/ Gogo last week and connectivity was horrendous the whole way. (JFK>SFO)
Originally Posted by unavaca
I seriously hate this too. Even Gogo gets this right.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I agree, major pain... I am also hoping for the day you can pre buy time, or monthly plans etc... Why is UA always last at so many things.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:59 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by asphaltman
I agree, major pain... I am also hoping for the day you can pre buy time, or monthly plans etc... Why is UA always last at so many things.
Because they can be
Old Mar 3, 2014, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Many times, it's what they're best at.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
News Article: FAs Shouldn't Announce Refunds When WIFI Goes Down

The Chicago Tribune has a story on its main page asserting that internal United manuals instruct FAs to not make cabin-wide announcements that refunds are available when the WIFI goes down.

Internet outage on United? Crew told not to announce refunds available
http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...,2430679.story
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Dishonesty-friendly!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: United 1K, *wood LT Plat
Originally Posted by demkr
Dishonesty-friendly!
So cynical- I thought it was "peace and quiet-friendly"
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lilpisher
The Chicago Tribune has a story on its main page asserting that internal United manuals instruct FAs to not make cabin-wide announcements that refunds are available when the WIFI goes down.

Internet outage on United? Crew told not to announce refunds available
http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...,2430679.story
I'm guessing this wouldn't be an issue if the brand new wifi actually worked more consistently

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.