Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Are United Club Agents No Longer Able to Assist With Rebooking/Ticketing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are United Club Agents No Longer Able to Assist With Rebooking/Ticketing?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hobo13
Agreed! ^

To be fair, they eventually did it for me.... they just balked about it how much work it was. The funniest quote from the agent was, 'we need to take care of our PAYING customers.' To which I replied, 'what am I?'
Wow!
Old Mar 13, 2013, 11:06 am

Programs: UA-1Kmm, AA-EX Plt mm-, Hilton Diamond,
United Club: We don't do (future) ticketing?

I guess I brought up an old topic I was unaware of. In all my million plus BIS miles flying UA I don't ever recall it being this hard to spend more money with them. Had I been able to handle this online or by phone I would have. I have decided to Fly AA instead for this I was trying to buy from UA. It will cost me more but I'm not willing to put up with more poor customer service from a vendor.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by FLYDCA
I wanted to pay for a ticket which was on hold All they needed to do was swipe my card. The agent did not bother to ask what sort of ticketing help I needed.
Next time, ask them if you can pay for a held itinerary there. Or alternatively, ask if they can look up an itinerary. When they pull it up, then ask, "Can I pay for this?" It's all in how you ask--if you successfully communicate to the agent that he/she isn't going to have to build a ticket from scratch, they are much more likely to be willing to make an exception to the policy (and it is an official policy--your post was merged into the existing thread discussing this).

It could be worse--you could be in the Alaska Airlines Board Room, where the concierges are management employees and not unionized ticket agents and so are prohibited from assisting you with any ticketing transactions at all...you have to go outside of the club to the [never staffed] customer service counter or all the way outside of security for any IRROPS assistance.

Originally Posted by PTahCha
However, if the club only has 1 desk for check-in, they do not do anything related to reservations (e.g., JFK).
Not in my experience. Every club with one desk has been able to assist me with anything I've needed. In the very small clubs with one desk and one agent working the desk, I always feel slightly guilty when I have a complicated issue and I end up holding up a line of people forming behind me trying to check into the club, but the agents have always been willing and able to assist.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
It's all in how you ask--if you successfully communicate to the agent that he/she isn't going to have to build a ticket from scratch, they are much more likely to be willing to make an exception to the policy (and it is an official policy--your post was merged into the existing thread discussing this).
I hear you and I have years of experience on this front. This club agent however was not going to help me no matter how I asked. That sadly for me is the new state of affairs. Asking nicely no longer helps for much of anything. I'm just an inconvenient transaction to UA and our former relationship built over the years has been dead for about a year now.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1k, Marriott Platinum Elite, Star Alliance Gold, SPG Platinum, Yelp Elite
This is really quite depressing, though the club agents have never really let me down, which is why I continue to pay that MileagePlus Club Card fee, if I had gotten that kind of reception anytime, I would have saved myself the money. I hope this isn't an increasing trend for UA, because every day we read how things are slowly turning upside down on the customer service side.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
I had an experience where a SEA UC club agent had me rebooked on
- another airline
- when my flight was delayed
- before I even got to the club!
She was proactively rebooking tight international conmections so it was ready when I showed up. She still works there.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Asking nicely no longer helps for much of anything.
Actually, I wasn't referring to asking nicely. I was referring to the order in which you present the information to the agent.

The agent needs to know that it's going to be a 30-second transaction, not a 5-minute transaction. By having the agent pull up first pull up the existing reservation, the agent knows that the hard work (pricing everything out--which, while automatic for you and I on the website, seems to require some manual hackery when a phone or airport agent issues a ticket) is already done and all they need to do is swipe your card. And at that point, half the work is done (pulling up the reservation), so the barrier-to-entry of completing the transaction is low.

If you come up to the agent and ask (even as sweetly as a southern belle) if he or she can issue you a ticket, the first thing that goes through the agent's mind is that you want to buy a new ticket and the corresponding hassle and stress and time of getting things to price out for you. In that case, the agent is going to follow the official policy and decline to help you.

So attitude has little (if anything) to do with it--the phrasing you use to ask for assistance (based on knowing how the systems work) is key.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 2:55 pm

Actually, I wasn't referring to asking nicely. I was referring to the order in which you present the information to the agent.
I do agree with you and I formerly considered myself to have an expert level ability for this. I'm not sure those skills are as valuable any longer.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I had an experience where a SEA UC club agent had me rebooked on
- another airline
- when my flight was delayed
- before I even got to the club!
She was proactively rebooking tight international conmections so it was ready when I showed up. She still works there.
Yup!...I experienced something very similar at SEA last year...she even got me into First on AS (I was in Y on UA)!

The agents at the LAX Terminal 7 club will do ticketing if he line is not too long...just last week they did some complicated award ticketing changes for me while I waited for a flight (they had me take a seat and brought the "changes" and ticketing to my desk!)...granted, I have known almost all of the agents here for years (my Angels), but I see them help others with complicated tasks all of the time!

I have had difficulty at IAD (they tried but failed...is this surprising?)and at EWR and IAH where future ticketing was denied upfront. Fortunately, I don't have to travel to these clubs very often any more! YMMV

I do agree with you and I formerly considered myself to have an expert level ability for this. I'm not sure those skills are as valuable any longer.
Now that UA corporate has removed the tools that line employees can use...and even more important, removed most employee empowerment, I am afraid you are correct!
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The agent needs to know that it's going to be a 30-second transaction, not a 5-minute transaction. By having the agent pull up first pull up the existing reservation, the agent knows that the hard work (pricing everything out--which, while automatic for you and I on the website, seems to require some manual hackery when a phone or airport agent issues a ticket) is already done and all they need to do is swipe your card. And at that point, half the work is done (pulling up the reservation), so the barrier-to-entry of completing the transaction is low.
It's not a 30-second transaction.

Someone described how to issue a new, purchased ticket in SHARES a while back, and it was quite ridiculous.

It involved a command and typing in a credit card and amount which requests a CC authorization. Then retyping that credit card number and authorization into another command to actually issue the ticket, all with the right syntax and such.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by hobo13
Wow, our expectations have certainly plummeted. To think, a customer wants to give United money, and they can't be bothered to take it because he's not giving it to them through the proper channels! Sheesh.

I run a little business on the side. Customers ask me if I want a check, Paypal, Amazon, cash, etc. My usual response is, 'whatever works for you'.

ANY DAY IS A GOOD DAY TO GET PAID!
The analogies just don't work. The UC at DCA is relatively small and often staffed by only one agent. If I'm the guy standing behind the guy who wants to be ticketed, either the agent has to continually turn away from her ticketing task to deal with me (and others) or we all stand there. Or UA goes out and hires a second or third person to sit there in case someone shows up who can't pick up the phone and dial an 800#.

The UC agent was wrong in one respect. Rather than directing OP to the counter for service, she could have suggested he use the phone (available in the UC).

Somebody's going to be inconvenienced here. But, there's many ways for OP to get ticketed. There's only one way for me to get in (unless people here want UC's to stop checking for scammers).
Old Mar 14, 2013, 8:11 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Not in my experience. Every club with one desk has been able to assist me with anything I've needed. In the very small clubs with one desk and one agent working the desk, I always feel slightly guilty when I have a complicated issue and I end up holding up a line of people forming behind me trying to check into the club, but the agents have always been willing and able to assist.
I guess you got lucky and have not been through JFK then. They refused to help me even in an IRROP, and this was in PMUA days. Or could be one single agent. who knows.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PTahCha
I guess you got lucky and have not been through JFK then. They refused to help me even in an IRROP, and this was in PMUA days. Or could be one single agent. who knows.
You guessed wrong. I've been in the JFK UC 6x in the last six months.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
The analogies just don't work.
No actually, I think the problem is that Jeffy Jeff cannot provide an efficient means for issuing a ticket.
Old Apr 3, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: United 1K; 1.66MM
So United Club no longer help making future reservation?

I am in SFO united club and try to ask the agent if he/she could help me use my paper voucher to book future flights. They all told me that they no longer make future reservations for customers, they can only change itineraries for existing reservations. Kind of disappointing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.