Wiki Posts
Search

UA closed my account.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Well, yes.

He was selling upgrades. But, he thought he was careful enough and that his anonymity was protected.
So he was violating the program terms and not innocently since ""he thought he was careful enough and his anonimity was protected" and thought he had a case?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by july07
....What should I do? Please advise. I have a booked business class ticket for next Friday 08/24/12. ...
first you need to determine if you violated any of the MileagePlus Program Rules such as
Prohibition of sale or barter

8. The sale or barter of any such mileage, certificates, awards or benefits other than as authorized and/or sponsored by United is expressly prohibited. Any mileage, certificates, awards or benefits transferred, assigned or sold in violation of the Program Rules, in addition to exposing the member to the penalties otherwise associated with violations, may be confiscated or canceled. The use of award tickets that have been acquired by purchase, barter or other conduct in violation of Program Rules may result in termination of membership, cancellation of accrued mileage, certificates, awards or benefits, confiscation of the tickets, denial of boarding with respect to the ticket holder, and, at United's discretion, completion of the travel only upon payment of an applicable fare.
If you have, even just once, violated the rules, the actions by UA are clearly laid out.

...I did some research by google. It seems that UA will cancel the booked ticket at the last minute when you check in and charge you the full price. This is unfair!!! ...
That is what the program rules clearly state.

...If they want to close your account, at least they have to tell you ahead of time. I never think that a big company such as UA has no credit like this.
If UA has grounds for thinking you have been unfair, then not sure why you think they need to be fair. HOWEVER, if UA is unjust in thinking you acted inappropriately, then you have grounds for making a claim against UA.

The airlines take the no barter / no consideration clause very seriousily.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Well, yes.

He was selling upgrades. But, he thought he was careful enough and that his anonymity was protected. He thinks that maybe UA provided documentation to ebay that selling upgrades/miles is against their TOS and that ebay "ratted him out". But, UA wouldn't confirm how they knew, only that they had "proof". It could also have been a comment from a lackadaisical sponsoree, since UA does often ask questions of flyers on free biz class tickets/upgrades.
Someone who has enough miles to sell upgrades certainly isn't a poor soul so it is difficult to understand the motivation to risk your account for a few dollars when the free travel is worth thousands over the years.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by DianeDakota
Someone who has enough miles to sell upgrades certainly isn't a poor soul so it is difficult to understand the motivation to risk your account for a few dollars when the free travel is worth thousands over the years.
Never underestimate the power of greed. Some are far more greedy than others.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
Originally Posted by JeffS
Never underestimate the power of greed. Some are far more greedy than others.
Gee I guess so!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA MM
I wonder what UA thinks (if they have the facts correct in the first place) of a person who owns a company using their miles to get travel for their employees. One could argue that it benefits the owner, as s/he doesn't have to buy those tickets out of company money. But the account belongs to an individual, not the company. And the employees would not appear to be giving anything in return in consideration of the flight. Would be interesting to know.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I wonder what UA thinks (if they have the facts correct in the first place) of a person who owns a company using their miles to get travel for their employees. One could argue that it benefits the owner, as s/he doesn't have to buy those tickets out of company money. But the account belongs to an individual, not the company. And the employees would not appear to be giving anything in return in consideration of the flight. Would be interesting to know.
Happens all the time. My company sets up a unique FF account for each person. When I have enough miles in my account for a ticket, they'll use it for whomever they like in the company. I think it violates the terms but who knows, and clearly UA knows it is going on and doesn't want to jeopardize the account.

double standard, or course....but what you going to do.. other than to choose another airline!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by MojaveFlyer
I wonder what UA thinks (if they have the facts correct in the first place) of a person who owns a company using their miles to get travel for their employees.
Originally Posted by phranticaw
Happens all the time. My company sets up a unique FF account for each person. When I have enough miles in my account for a ticket, they'll use it for whomever they like in the company
Flew to EWR for a job interview when I was still a CO Plat, and inquired about my u/g chances. I was informed I'm not on u/g list, because the company used miles to bring me in for an interview.

My friend's company uses miles he accumulates while traveling to "buy" some of his and his colleague's flights.

Seems legit to me, I'm sure UA knows it's done.

EmailKid
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:17 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Chances that there is more to this story than shared? 100%.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Don't forget that company and the owner(s) are completely different entities from legal point of view. Whether money has been transferred etc is probably irrelevant as the company has received indirect benefits... Would be completely different if you had booked flights for friends and family (and you are able to prove this).
Old Aug 19, 2012, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
Chances that there is more to this story than shared? 100%.
This is quite often the case on FT, however many will sympathize no matter what.

On a related note, it has been reported numerous times (on here) that mucho complaints to customer service, usually trying to get vouchers, etc., will get one uninvited to the MP club as they cannot please the person and tell them to also take a hike.

Push anything too far and it's hit the road!!!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:28 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The obvious question, did you sell any miles or upgrades?

I would call back during normal business hours and try to get an explanation. Di they tall you the account was closed, or could you just not log in? It's possible if you could not log in it was something as simple as their fraud detection noticed something fishy and disabled logins.

I would hold off worrying until you get a reason as to why they did what they did.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
The obvious question, did you sell any miles or upgrades?

I would call back during normal business hours and try to get an explanation. Di they tall you the account was closed, or could you just not log in? It's possible if you could not log in it was something as simple as their fraud detection noticed something fishy and disabled logins.

I would hold off worrying until you get a reason as to why they did what they did.
Then again if one of the OP's "BUSINESS ASSOCIATES" happened to give the wrong answers when questioned by UA, he can also hold off worrying, because more likely than not he can just register for another airlines FF program instead of fretting.

If the OP is innocent then by all means he should pursue this and get answers.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Portolan
So he was violating the program terms and not innocently since ""he thought he was careful enough and his anonimity was protected" and thought he had a case?
His attitude was more that he was a good customer because he was a 1K/multi-million miler and that UA was treating him unfairly. He also didn't believe that they actually had proof, so that is why he protested so fiercely. I was somewhat skeptical of his story at the time because I found it hard to believe that they would ban a "good" customer like a 1K, but I did get to see the original letter and did anonymously call the phone number he was given to confirm it was a "fraud prevention" desk at WHQ.

Many people today seem to have a huge blind spot with regards to protecting their anonymity on the internet. Since everything one does on the web is tracked, it is really only a matter of how serious someone is about finding-out your identity. Especially sites like ebay, which regularly cooperate with corporations complaining about infringing copyright through unauthorized uses of intellectual property such as company photographs and/or sales of restricted items, by providing "confidential" user info for alleged improprieties.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Maybe United should impose some sort of "nominee" program like SQ's KF where you a fixed menu of people who you can sponsor and there are restrictions and/or costs to modifying the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.