FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA closed my account.
View Single Post
Old Aug 19, 2012, 7:14 pm
zombietooth

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Portolan
So he was violating the program terms and not innocently since ""he thought he was careful enough and his anonimity was protected" and thought he had a case?
His attitude was more that he was a good customer because he was a 1K/multi-million miler and that UA was treating him unfairly. He also didn't believe that they actually had proof, so that is why he protested so fiercely. I was somewhat skeptical of his story at the time because I found it hard to believe that they would ban a "good" customer like a 1K, but I did get to see the original letter and did anonymously call the phone number he was given to confirm it was a "fraud prevention" desk at WHQ.

Many people today seem to have a huge blind spot with regards to protecting their anonymity on the internet. Since everything one does on the web is tracked, it is really only a matter of how serious someone is about finding-out your identity. Especially sites like ebay, which regularly cooperate with corporations complaining about infringing copyright through unauthorized uses of intellectual property such as company photographs and/or sales of restricted items, by providing "confidential" user info for alleged improprieties.