Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by username
I wonder if this is caused by them running the upgrade once a day and the inventory adjustment runs after the upgrade runs? So, when the inventory is adjust further, more seats are released - making it look like nothing had happened?
That can certainly be part of the problem, but I have had WLs sit for days on available PZ ... then I called and nobody was on the WL. So sometimes this just gets stuck somehow.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by VWang1111

Seriously? That would be awesome although could not corroborate. T-12 had to HUCA 3 times before getting someone to push it through. They redeposited the old upgrade and used a new one but the new upgrade expires later than the old upgrade. Does anyone have any experience with if it's better to call before or after travel to try to fix this? (I.e. replace the confirmed upgrade currently with a new RPU to use the old RPU.)
Unlike others, I've had this happer a couple of times, and it was no problem to get it sorted

Just make sure you know which GPU and itinerary it was on. It took maybe five minutes
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ryman554
Unlike others, I've had this happer a couple of times, and it was no problem to get it sorted

Just make sure you know which GPU and itinerary it was on. It took maybe five minutes
I'll probably just try calling or emailing after. When I called MPSC, they immediately transferred to reservations who were unwilling to keep the upgrade in place while they redeposited the newer RPU and applied the older RPU. If I can't get them to fix it after, then I'll probably just let the single RPU left expire. I've had quite a tough time trying to use them all anyways. Won't be a problem with RPUs next year considering there's only going to be 4.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond and United Global Services
I just subscribed to Expert Flyer Premium and was trying to search on a United flight for fare code "PN" which is an upgrade code available for Global Services members. In the search criteria, it only allows for one letter "P" as an example and not two "PN". Am I missing how to do this? Any suggestions?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by Nstaskey
I just subscribed to Expert Flyer Premium and was trying to search on a United flight for fare code "PN" which is an upgrade code available for Global Services members. In the search criteria, it only allows for one letter "P" as an example and not two "PN". Am I missing how to do this? Any suggestions?
They don't support PN/PZ, unfortunately. (edit: i also found this out the hard way after paying for a subscription and contacting support - I think it's a UA-side issue).
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:12 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fumje
That's interesting. How was it conveyed to you? E.g., 'I have the reservation now and it shows you already as upgraded', or 'I just opened the reservation, and I tried to push the upgrade, but it went through before I did anything'?
The latter.

In fact, I gave her the PNR in each case, she called up the itin, and immediately as she said, "Okay, looking at it now..." I got the "Waitlist Notification" e-mail, and she said, "Huh, looks like it cleared as soon as I opened the res."

It's like the agent accessing the itin triggered the waitlist processing.

Originally Posted by fumje
I'm also curious: did you notice (via flight status or inventory) if the system swept the list (multiple new J bookings / diminution of PZ by more than one) or if it just pushed you through?
I didn't think to check. If it happens again, I will do just that.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
They don't support PN/PZ, unfortunately. (edit: i also found this out the hard way after paying for a subscription and contacting support - I think it's a UA-side issue).
UA doesn't publish private inventory (PZ, PN, IN, etc.) and actually is quite diligent about shutting down services which attempt to scrape the data.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:40 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Upcoming flight of mine is XN4 but PZ0, is this normal?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:43 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Upcoming flight of mine is XN4 but PZ0, is this normal?
Sure; X and XN inventory are frequently available (as they're economy award buckets) when both business award (I/IN) and upgrade (PZ etc.) are not.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond and United Global Services
Thanks everyone, I will just have to look at the flight every day in Expert Mode.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by findark
UA doesn't publish private inventory (PZ, PN, IN, etc.) and actually is quite diligent about shutting down services which attempt to scrape the data.
No surprise from UA, anything to give the consumer a bit of an advantage and they shut it down. I was looking into subscribing to EF premium as well but after reading this why.......
Old Jan 15, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by exerda
Sure; X and XN inventory are frequently available (as they're economy award buckets) when both business award (I/IN) and upgrade (PZ etc.) are not.
sigh of course
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
I check everyday and noticed my IAD-AUS flight on Feb. 6 had PZ3 so I called. The agent said he opened the record, didn't do a thing and it went through right away. Must have been his magic touch!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by exerda
The latter.

In fact, I gave her the PNR in each case, she called up the itin, and immediately as she said, "Okay, looking at it now..." I got the "Waitlist Notification" e-mail, and she said, "Huh, looks like it cleared as soon as I opened the res."

It's like the agent accessing the itin triggered the waitlist processing.
Huh. That's interesting. It would be consistent with my observations (on a couple of occasions) trying to get a PZ pushed through and having just "missed out" -- where PZ > 0 before, it turned PZ=0 during the call, before I made my request.

Good for following the wait-list, I guess, but bad for those of us in the know.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ryman554

Another datapoint for this. Was able to redeposit the new RPU and redeem the old RPU after travel completion in about 5 minutes. Did have to wait about a minute on hold before an agent which is quite rare though. Good job to the 1k MP desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.