Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It appears at times, UA will release upgrade space, now labeled as PZ, but the upgrade waitlist is not processed until a later time. During this period of time, a new upgrade request will clear, ignoring the waitlist. This could be a new request or someone calling to request their waitlisted request to be clear (sometimes called -- "jumping the queue"). So as a defensive move, some may try to call to get their waitlisted request cleared if this situation occurs. Over the years agents, at times, have been reluctant or agreeable to doing this. More recently there are reports of agents needing supervisor approval to do this (this may be UA's attempt to prevent "queue jumping").

Another strategy in this situation is to remove a waitlisted request and then reapply. This does risk losing one's place on the waitlist if unsuccessful

At times, the waitlist process seems to be delayed for an extended period of time, it is speculated that this is a situation where the waitlist processing is "stuck" -- this may be due to a ticket out-of-sync issue with the passenger on top of the waitlist or other causes. A good agent will notice this if you call about clearing and fix the situation.

Releated thread
Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)

Archive thread: Upgrade still waitlisted even though R (now PZ) class is available {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
and neither for R on EF.
Now I'm confused. Does EF correctly search UA R inventory, or not??
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kb1992
I have active EF alerts for R.
UA upgrade inventory is not listed as an available EF class. Either you have meaningless alerts or EF will shortly be receiving another cease and desist from UA. Expert Flyer Class List..
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Disagree.

I have active EF alerts for R.

Just because EF will let you set an alert for R, doesn't mean EF is actually able to search to see R on UA (i.e. It'll never trigger). R is discount business on AA/OW, if I'm not mistaken.

You can email EF to confirm, but besides revenue buckets, it only has access to O/I/X.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Just because EF will let you set an alert for R, doesn't mean EF is actually able to search to see R on UA (i.e. It'll never trigger). R is discount business on AA/OW, if I'm not mistaken.

You can email EF to confirm, but besides revenue buckets, it only has access to O/I/X.
Then EF should be honest with us instead of giving false hope to search UA R.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
And even worse, R may have become available while you had the EF "alert" set and you missed it because the EF alert doesn't actually trigger when R showed up.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:16 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
EF does documents what it can do
Originally Posted by Kacee
It just has a generic dialog entry.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EF does documents what it can do
Well, if UA R is not permitted, then EF should not allow you to set up such alert.

That is deceiving practice.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, if UA R is not permitted, then EF should not allow you to set up such alert.

Not really familiar with EF, but if EF says alerts for R doesn't work and you set up an alert for R anyway, it's a misapplication of the tool by you, not deception by EF.

I did look at EF and it does explicitly state what upgrade and award classes it can pull. R is not one of them, so you are indeed trying to do something Expert Flyer says it cannot do:
Attached Images  

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jan 24, 2017 at 1:03 pm
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

I did look at EF and it does explicitly state what upgrade and award classes it can pull. R is not one of them, so you are indeed trying to do something Expert Flyer says it cannot do:
I get that.

But it's really too much to ask EF to disallow alert for UA R, instead of showing UA R as active alerts when it's not actually permitted?

It's a simple programming, considering EF charges annual fee.

Not really familiar with EF, but if EF says alerts for R doesn't work and you set up an alert for R anyway, it's a misapplication of the tool by you, not deception by EF.
You see, EF even says that

Your flight entry in "UA" has been verified as valid. A search for availability will begin today.

It's hard to understand how you can blame consumer "misapplication of the tool" instead of incompetence of EF IT?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I get that.

But it's really too much to ask EF to disallow alert for UA R, instead of showing UA R as active alerts when it's not actually permitted?

It's a simple programming, considering EF charges annual fee.

You see, EF even says that

Your flight entry in "UA" has been verified as valid. A search for availability will begin today.

It's hard to understand how you can blame consumer "misapplication of the tool" instead of incompetence of EF IT?
EF says it cannot retrieve R. The fact that UA forced EF to stop displaying R search results has been discussed in numerous threads on FT. It is unfortunate that EF continues to allow alert setups for R, but EF is not immune to IT incompetence that can be found in one form or another at most companies. Again, it's misapplication of the tool and EF incompetence, but deception is probably not EF's intent.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It just has a generic dialog entry.
I don't know what that means. The linked page states (as quoted by IAH-OIL-TRASH) that EF provides data on X, I, and O.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know what that means. The linked page states (as quoted by IAH-OIL-TRASH) that EF provides data on X, I, and O.
I think it means EF isn't gonna set up the alphabetics used by each airline, for each airline in the alert setup process - it just allows A-Z out there for all airlines, then EF validates against whoever. EF has just not "unvalidated" R for UA.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

I think it means EF isn't gonna set up the alphabetics used by each airline, for each airline - it just allows A-Z out there for all airlines, then EF validates. EF has just not "unvalidated" R for UA.
I get that, but it has nothing to do with my comment, which was based on the link showing (as you noted) that EF provides access only to X, I, and O data for UA.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:33 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I get that, but it has nothing to do with my comment, which was based on the link showing (as you noted) that EF provides access only to X, I, and O data for UA.
For awards, yes but also it also provides alerts for any paid fare class
Monitor for Award, Upgrade, or even regular fare inventory for changes and new availability for up to 30 flight segments
Not just some award classes. My guess is since R is a paid fare for some airlines, it is a stub that does nothing useful for UA.

Note my familiarity with EF is dated as I dropped my subscription a few years back when EF was forced by UA to dropped R and others award fare classes. EF has partially restored with X, I, O but no R and XN or IN or ON.

Best to provide that feedback directly to EF.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 24, 2017 at 7:18 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member :-)
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: United 1K, EL AL Silver
R4 I4 and my upgrade hasn't cleared.

I thought this has been fixed, booked on UA 91 tonight W class with GPU and hasn't cleared as of this morning flight load is 49/60 and then I go to UA.com and see that there are saver seats available!! I called and the first agent said he can't clear the waitlist called again and the agent cleared it. She said she report the issue. I Hope the other 7 people on the UG list will get their seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.