Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Risky to change award ticket 24 hours out from UA to LX?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2012, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold

Hi there.

I'm currently booked EWR(UA)-ZRH(LX)-NBO in F.

With my 45 minute connection time in ZRH, and a separate onward ticket from NBO to JRO, I'm a little worried about me and my baggage making the plane.

According to ua.com, space has been opening up (in C) on a LX flight JFK-ZRH that gets in 20 minutes earlier. This has been happening about 24-48 hours before the flight. For example, right there is availability for tomorrow's flight, but not the rest of the month.

I was thinking I would just call up UA the day before and have them change the flight. However, I then got worried - will LX confirm the segment immediately? I want to make sure I don't somehow end up flightless. These flights are the beginning of my honeymoon and I don't want a missed flight to be how we remember the beginning of our marriage...

Thank you!

David
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
In my experience with LX tickets, UA agents could pretty much instantly confirm it over the phone.

If you're within 24 hours, you could use either checkmytrip.com or directly do web check-in on swiss air website.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold

45 minutes layover? I think as a Backup Plan you should give a heads up to your future wife that you may have to spend the 1st night of your honeymoon in Zurich Airport (unless you don't need a Swiss visa)
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by DFWsakp
45 minutes layover? I think as a Backup Plan you should give a heads up to your future wife that you may have to spend the 1st night of your honeymoon in Zurich Airport (unless you don't need a Swiss visa)
DFW - you're the first person on Flyertalk to suggest that 45 minutes in ZRH with a terminal E to terminal E connection will be too tight. Many have said it might not work, but most seemed to think it was not just possible but probable.

Is your comment based on personal experience? Can you tell me what happened?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
Will easily make it, don't get scared off.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: UA G
E-E should be easy. It's a rather small terminal and a 10 minute walk (tops) from end to end. The lounge is crappy, so you're not missing anything there.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I have a 50 min connection at the end of the month and am not worried. I have actually had 45 mins and made it. The Swiss do things very well whether it be GVA or ZRH. No problems at all with short connection time
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Yep, ZRH runs with Swiss efficiency.

But dang -- if you could get Swiss over United go for it!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I did my first-ever *A upgrade on LX a couple weeks ago, DAR-(NBO)-ZRH, four hours before departure.

1. The upgrade confirmed instantly; immediately able to pick seats with previous LX PNR. I would assume your changed award would go through the same system just as quickly.
2. I agree that Terminal E to Terminal E will be easy to make, but very difficult to make with a shower. I'd pack an extra change of clothes in case your bag gets delayed, but it's a gamble I'd take.
3. New LX C was great! If you're giving up anything by not taking UA F, it's not much, especially if you can get a single seat. And I do enjoy grappa after dinner....
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by DFWsakp
Agree. 45 Min is fine in ZRH "IF" you arrive on time. Do you really want to chance that w UA right now? There was a post a few weeks ago from a guy who missed his 45 min conx arriving on same flight OP is on. CHANGE TO LX IF IT OPENS!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.