Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Where did you end up on the Final Upgrade List, UA Domestic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where did you end up on the Final Upgrade List, UA Domestic?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:47 am

In & out of SFO & also in and out of IAD seem to be the elite heaviest. Last week SFO to BOS on a Fri on a 57 when GS boarding was announced at least 25 of em boarded. I was like 20 something on a "G" fare! Front exit row worked just fine!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mherdeg
Do we still think that using an instrument prioritizes you above pax whose upgrades are not instrument-supported?
I still do. The 2nd example you cite, however, seems to have something amiss.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iahphx
I've complained in the recent past about how upgrades are much harder now for top UA elites, but I have a domestic A320 flight tomorrow to IAH where, as a 1K, I'm 17th on the waitlist for an upgrade....
If everyone who tried to buy a first class ticket on this flight got one, everything is fine and UA has the right capacity for that route, that day, and that time. Looks like you paid for a coach seat and you're getting a coach seat.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:27 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by aacharya
I still do. The 2nd example you cite, however, seems to have something amiss.
Yes...I was traveling with a friend last week from SEA to EWR. He has no status and put in for a mileage upgrade 2 days out from departure. He was number 2 on the list which had 25+ people on it (and then moved to #1 when someone got the upgrade 10 minutes before departure). And, at check-in, I was offered a buy-up to First for $589 and he for $309!
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:30 am

Upgrade

With devaluation of Silver late last year, specifically locking in E+ at ticketing, we usually spring for F if the flight is longer than a couple hours and the cost is less than 2x of a coach seat on whichever airline best serves our schedule. It's one way to make domestic air travel a little more tolerable.

In the end, I fly more F, whereas before I was often in E+. The total cost isn't hugely more, as now I am free to pursue any airline versus previously going out of my way to retain Silver.

The good news is that UA is better protecting E+ for 1ks after kicking Silver out...

Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Starbucks Gold
The worst I've ever seen was 74th on the list last year as a Silver. On a 120-seat A319.

In fairness, it was a 7 am Monday flight from ORD to LGA. But I just had to chuckle.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, UA Plat, 2MM, AS MVPG
Upgrade failure

Route: SEA-EWR
Time & Day of Departure: 8:15pm, Wednesday
Flight #: 1687
Equipment: 737 (16 F seats)
Fare Class: S
Final Position: 5 of ? too many to list.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:30 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
IAD->SFO on a 777-200 domestic config
I was 43rd as a 1k on a W fare the list was over 120 names
For that equipment type and that route, it's par for the course (and you will also see a lot of G/S's riding in the village)
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do we still think that using an instrument prioritizes you above pax whose upgrades are not instrument-supported?
This is not exactly what UA says happens.

UA says in its FAQ about the upgrade standby list (available via mobile.united.com) that

Interestingly this entry (which, again, comes from the mobile.united.com FAQ about the departure-management standby list) does not mention giving any priority to people using instruments. It also doesn't discuss the unpublished?? Global Services benefit of being on the top of the list.

The main united.com Web site has another link to an upgrade standby list FAQ but it's a dead link (it redirects to the main upgrades page).

See http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...e/default.aspx under "Upgrade confirmation" for their discussion of how upgrades are said to be prioritized before the departure-management waitlist, then for a good time try to click on the link where it says As customers check in, they will be placed on an airport upgrade standby list. This standby list will clear after check-in is closed, and is based on Premier status and fare class. Learn more about the upgrade standby list. and notice that the link target is gone.
Well, right, that's what my "beef" is about. In plain English, United has told me that after all first class seats are sold, the remaining first class seats are going to be allocated to elite travellers in accordance with an orderly (and fair sounding!) procedure. If, in fact, there were 16 other GS or 1K pax on my flight who bought higher fare tickets (IN ADDITION to the ones who already got upgraded!), that would be fine with me. I mean, that's what I was promised. But I think we all know that the odds that there could be that many 1Ks on a flight are pretty darn low. You'd literally have to be flying this route on UA every week of the year to qualify. Sure, there could be a few such people on your flight, but more than 17? It would be extremely improbable.

The more logical explanation is that there are OTHER folks on that upgrade list. Are they non-elites who bought certain upgradable fares? Some people seem to think so. Are there folks using some sort of paid upgrade instruments? Beats me. UA just owes us an honest explanation of what the REAL upgrade priorities are.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
in UAs defense (one data point) when I flew on a 1K-sponsored GPU from FRA-IAD-SMF and the domestic segment waitlisted, I ended up 3/~40 on the waitlist at the gate, whereas with my own gold status I am usually in the mid-teens. so, in that case the instrument plus the associated 1K sponsor status seemed to make a major difference. YMMV.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
#9 out of 44 SFO to LAX as a 1k on a 319 at 4:30 pm. Cleared the other direction at about the same time but on a 737 - same day of the week.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've complained in the recent past about how upgrades are much harder now for top UA elites, but I have a domestic A320 flight tomorrow to IAH where, as a 1K, I'm 17th on the waitlist for an upgrade. Admittedly, I'm in a cheapo bucket, but 17th? Has any 1K ever been lower?

BTW, the upgrade list is currently 48 names long!

I thought perhaps that it might be some computer glitch assigning me lower status, but I'm taking a connecting flight where I'm #2 on the upgrade list (I probably won't get that one either, but at least it's plausible).

I know Thursdays are big elite travel days, but isn't this a bit crazy? I can't imagine many folks thinking the loyalty was worth it if these are your upgrade odds. It would seem wise to me for UA to go AA's route and at least give 1K's a free meal and alcoholic drink in coach, because that's where they're going to be a lot of the time.
You're aware the NBA All-Star game festivities kick off today and the 320 only has 12 seats up front? Could be a contributor. And was the timing where it would also hook up w/ Europe departures?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
...But I think we all know that the odds that there could be that many 1Ks on a flight are pretty darn low. You'd literally have to be flying this route on UA every week of the year to qualify. Sure, there could be a few such people on your flight, but more than 17? It would be extremely improbable.

The more logical explanation is that there are OTHER folks on that upgrade list. Are they non-elites who bought certain upgradable fares? Some people seem to think so. Are there folks using some sort of paid upgrade instruments? Beats me. UA just owes us an honest explanation of what the REAL upgrade priorities are.
Have you factored in the MM companion designations? For example, my wife flies 1-2x per year, but she's a 1K because of me.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garkster
Have you factored in the MM companion designations? For example, my wife flies 1-2x per year, but she's a 1K because of me.
Yup, that could be a few people. But not 17.

Is there really anyone who seriously thinks the upgrade list is just elites listed by status? That's what UA's promo materials are telling their customers. If it's not actually true, there's a problem here.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup, that could be a few people. But not 17.

Is there really anyone who seriously thinks the upgrade list is just elites listed by status? That's what UA's promo materials are telling their customers. If it's not actually true, there's a problem here.
Can you point to any promotional material or program rules that say the upgrade list is ONLY populated only with elites by status as you claim?

You never responded re knowing about NBA All-Star game or timing relative to int'l connections, which could have big impact on upgrade list on a 12-seat first cabin. You're really complaining about something when you have no clue what is happening.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 14, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.