FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Meal Time Cut-offs Fixed (Maybe they're listening...) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1368735-meal-time-cut-offs-fixed-maybe-theyre-listening.html)

hobo13 Jul 21, 2012 1:33 pm

Sure enough, DEN-IAD with the 345PM departure (and 9PM arrival) is now listed as dinner. Believe it or not, this regime considered this a snack flight in the past! You'd either eat your dinner at 3PM at Denver, or struggle to even find an eatery that was still open at Dulles.

As much as I appreciate the announcement, perhaps Shannon can explain why they insisted on messing with this to begin with......

SJU-EWR, 1:xx PM became lunch. And SFO-DEN at 1:xx became lunch.

In May, I had the craptastic chicken pasta on 3 out of 4 segments, and now 2 of the 3 have reverted to proper meals.

So, how much more of the COdbaUA BS can we expect to get rolled-back within the next 6 months? No, I don't believe this has anything to do with customer feedback -- apparently the numbers aren't looking so hot, and it's time to try to plug the leak of over-entitled elites flocking to AA.

FLYDCA Jul 21, 2012 2:39 pm

Dca to ord?

It would be nice to see meals return on DCA-ORD. I really enjoyed my hot dinner served by AA on this route which I received this week.

lexdevil Jul 21, 2012 2:39 pm

I know 8:45 AM is breakfast time, but I even wish we got lunch instead of breakfast on this flight. Really.

Depart:
8:45 a.m. Sun., Jul. 29, 2012 San Francisco, CA (SFO)
Arrive:
5:30 p.m. Sun., Jul. 29, 2012 Boston, MA (BOS)
Flight Time: 5 hr 45 mn
Flight: UA378, Aircraft: Boeing 757-200
Fare Class: United First
Meal: Breakfast

Wx4caster Jul 21, 2012 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by txp (Post 18975506)
I have sent them ample feedback on this very question. My recommendation is simply to replace domestic first with international business first service on flights to HNL which do not originate on the west coast. The implementation problem, as I see it, is that they would need to assign internationally-configured aircraft on the ORD-HNL and DEN-HNL legacy United routes, just to keep things consistent. Until they can get the aircraft available for these routes, unlikely to happen. For now, they have downgraded the sCO flights, just to keep consistency with sUA.

They don't need international planes to serve the meals they used to serve on all Hawaii flights including the 737s from CA. I would love to see the old meals return, but would settle for at least the BF copay flights receiving them, or better yet, all HA flights over 6 hours (to include ORD).

halls120 Jul 21, 2012 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by njcommodore (Post 18974897)
perhaps we beat them to the punch. It's happened before.

And maybe they are making changes, remaining silent about them as part of an evaluation of whether they are noticed.

After all, the well-publicized roll out of the new coffee wasn't all that successful.

EWR764 Jul 21, 2012 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Wx4caster (Post 18975906)
They don't need international planes to serve the meals they used to serve on all Hawaii flights including the 737s from CA. I would love to see the old meals return, but would settle for at least the BF copay flights receiving them, or better yet, all HA flights over 6 hours (to include ORD).

I would be more than satisfied with the same service as the JFK/EWR-SFO/LAX on ORD/IAD/IAH/EWR-HNL. That would bring it closer to where it was before the old CO meal guidelines were scrapped and be more fitting of the 8h+ duration of those flights.

The new EWR-IST is UA's longest European route from EWR, but it is only 58nm longer than EWR-HNL.

XLR26 Jul 21, 2012 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by FLYDCA (Post 18975871)
It would be nice to see meals return on DCA-ORD. I really enjoyed my hot dinner served by AA on this route which I received this week.

I was thinking the same thing when i was enjoying dinner on an ord-dca flt on AA last week.

LAXOGG Jul 21, 2012 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 18974516)
Hi goldelite8, you have a keen eye and are absolutely correct. We’ve recently made some meal scheduling adjustments to our late morning, early afternoon and dinner start times. For example, in United First, you should begin seeing lunch and dinner options on short to medium haul flights (over 2.5 hours) departing between 10:00am through 7:00pm. This improvement is a direct result of customer feedback. Please keep it coming.

Shannon

Originally Posted by SiberianTiger (Post 18974931)
Thank you for listening!! Hope other feedback will be heard too soon :)

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 18975110)
^^^^ to United for listening!.....

Shannon:

I too appreciate the willingness to listen to direct customer feedback. If you really want to make a change for the better, will you please reconsider the priority of meal choices. The overwhelming majority of polled FT'ers dislike the current method. (Only 6% prefer this method). The vast majority (66%) would prefer the old UA method. Poll results are here in case you missed them. ;)

njcommodore Jul 21, 2012 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by LAXOGG (Post 18976303)
The vast majority (66%) would prefer the old UA method.

A whopping 138 people. :rolleyes:

weirdlyndon Jul 21, 2012 4:53 pm

My September 7pm EWR-TPA flight is still showing as 'Snack'

EWR764 Jul 21, 2012 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by weirdlyndon (Post 18976439)
My September 7pm EWR-TPA flight is still showing as 'Snack'

This is probably correct, even though Shannon noted that this change impacted meal flights from 10:30am to 7pm. I suspect at 6:59pm, this would be a dinner flight. Gotta draw the line somewhere!

It would be nice to see the meal windows published on the website. If you don't already know them, it's a crapshoot.

exerda Jul 21, 2012 5:05 pm

Thanks, Shannon, for a bit of true good news and one which won't spawn 50+ pages of back-and-forth complaints and arguments for once. ^

PDXPremier Jul 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764 (Post 18976452)
This is probably correct, even though Shannon noted that this change impacted meal flights from 10:30am to 7pm. I suspect at 6:59pm, this would be a dinner flight. Gotta draw the line somewhere!

It would be nice to see the meal windows published on the website. If you don't already know them, it's a crapshoot.

There are other examples (like the DEN-IAH flights I mentioned previously) where flights are left out of the new meal designations for no rhyme or reason....2pmish IAH-PDX (over 4 hour flight) still shows "snack"....1pmish DEN-IAH shows "snack" but if you're on the LATER 2pmish flight you get "lunch"...huh?!? :confused:

austin_native Jul 21, 2012 5:57 pm

Not sure about no 50+ pages, seems to be picking up speed...

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 18976495)
Thanks, Shannon, for a bit of true good news and one which won't spawn 50+ pages of back-and-forth complaints and arguments for once. ^

StuMcIlwain Jul 21, 2012 5:59 pm

Just got off UA651, EWR-ORD. Scheduled for 2hr 40min, 719 miles. Departure at 5:15pm. Supposedly a dinner flight. Chicken pasta served.