Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by as219
Maybe the delay really is due to UA's uncertainty about the implications of new DoT regs. It's one thing if all they have to do is make a straightforward business decision. They've faced these situations before and therefore have some experience handling them. It's another thing entirely, however, if they think there might be fines down the line on a per-violation basis. They may very well be seeking some kind of clarification from the DoT before scripting what to say when pax are contacted.
I am absolutely convinced that this delay is United rethinking just how badly the DOT might come after them if they cancel these.

Personally, I think United's response on this forum was laughable. If they are told to honor these, I can't wait to hear how they come back and spin it.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fragment54
BTW, I would be fully supportive of disallowing any name changes/date changes on the tickets.
What tickets allow name changes anyways??

Originally Posted by cordelli
United would look stupid if they honored these tickets.
Maybe or maybe not. But if there are regulations which govern what they can do then they'll look even more stupid trying to act counter to those rules.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:54 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by bocastephen
So my understanding is most of the folks here who got these tickets had the requisite amount of miles (140k) in their accounts, so the proper mileage was eventually deducted - what is the end game everyone is expecting - a refund of 139,996 miles?

If the correct mileage was deducted from your accounts, then you have a valid and properly priced ticket, no?
For folks who have had additional miles taken from their account, they should already have filed a complaint with the DoT for unilaterally raising the price of their ticket after purchase.

But I believe many (most?) of the people here who got these tickets had the requisite 4 miles in their account needed to purchase their ticket, but not the non-discounted number of miles (320,000 in some cases) in their account, so their reservation remains the same as the ticket they purchased. So far.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:55 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fsfsfsfs
I am not one of these people, but I think the simple discrepancy here is that 140k miles were deducted when they were quoted 4 miles, which constitutes a difference "price" paid than what is quoted prior to purchase -- the exact situation the DOT rule addresses.
I know that's the issue - but I'm trying to understand the expected outcome, especially as many folks are likely to fly these tickets with the correct mileage out of their accounts before there is an official decision from either UA or the DOT.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
That's also not the case. It's the worse it looks for Frequent fliers. Most people in their right mind will side with United on this one, believing that anybody who thinks they were going to Hong Kong for four miles is an idiot. Even many of the frequent fliers interviewed have said they didn't expect the tickets to be honored.

Seasoned FTers keep saying this, but I'm struggling to figure out what makes this "4 RDM" mistake any different from the "$0" mistake fares of yore. I don't seem to remember so many people insisting that airlines would "look stupid" for honoring $0 fares. (Am I not rembering correctly?)
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
We could debate whether UA should honor those who booked 1 or 2 tickets (some *might* have been legit customers, who knows), but for that guy who booked 75, I have no qualms if UA clamps down on him. No one *needs* to visit HKG 75 times within a 11 month period for leisure/personal trips. He's clearly trying the hardest he could within 3 hours to screw UA.

Heck, I don't think I could click the mouse fast enough to book 75 trips in 3 hours.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I know that's the issue - but I'm trying to understand the expected outcome, especially as many folks are likely to fly these tickets with the correct mileage out of their accounts before there is an official decision from either UA or the DOT.
Gotcha. In that case, I think the expected endgame is what you described -- a credit of 139,996 miles. Or a mutually agreed upon arrangement (incl. full refund).

Of course, this gets into the dicey territory of miles as "currency" and the fact that MP "owns" the program and all miles. Obviously United could also choose (at their own PR peril) to cancel mileage accounts rather than refund 139,996 miles, etc.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hobo13
Personally, I think United's response on this forum was laughable. If they are told to honor these, I can't wait to hear how they come back and spin it.
They'll say that, on further reflection and after consultation with their peeps, they decided to make a "one time exception" and honor the tickets.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:00 am
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Originally Posted by 787fan
We could debate whether UA should honor those who booked 1 or 2 tickets (some *might* have been legit customers, who knows), but for that guy who booked 75, I have no qualms if UA clamps down on him. No one *needs* to visit HKG 75 times within a 11 month period for leisure/personal trips. He's clearly trying the hardest he could within 3 hours to screw UA.

Heck, I don't think I could click the mouse fast enough to book 75 trips in 3 hours.
Yeah, how the heck did he do that? There's an upper limit to how fast these can be booked even with preloaded profile/pax info for all your fellow honeybadgers and when customers grab the very first itin that is presented.

Speaking of which...isn't this just the scene on FT and elsewhere when these events are unfolding:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:00 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by channa
And at the time of the change, if the miles required for your new itinerary are different from what you paid, you will be quoted a change in miles.

The no-fee policy is based on the assumption that your award type is still available, which in this case, they're not.

This is the way CO typically handles promo awards, award cost changes, etc.
Correct, though there is no prohibition on making changes, which is what the OP you were responding to was suggesting. I said there is no change fee, which outside of 21 days is always true for date-only changes, regardless of any miles/taxes difference.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond

As if they don't already.

Just look at the last week:

1. Miscoded Map My Miles (and associated botched clawback)
2. HKG award mistake

It's pretty obvious that the UA IT department stinks.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
No, they look more like a big evil corporation that is trying to weasel out of their mistake despite the regulations.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:04 am

Programs: UAL Premier Gold, HHonors Gold, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by apk123
No, they look more like a big evil corporation that is trying to weasel out of their mistake despite the regulations.
Yup. That's almost certainly the way the media will spin it, and for lots of people watching the news, when it comes to airlines, perception is reality.

Seasoned FTers keep saying this, but I'm struggling to figure out what makes this "4 RDM" mistake any different from the "$0" mistake fares of yore. I don't seem to remember so many people insisting that airlines would "look stupid" for honoring $0 fares. (Am I not rembering correctly?)
The difference is probably that they got in on those $0 mistake fares but missed this opportunity. Like I said earlier, lots of sour grapes in this thread...

Last edited by gvol21; Jul 18, 2012 at 10:05 am Reason: added a sentence.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:05 am

According to USAtoday regarding the DOT inquiry into this..

"Johnson says United is cooperating with the inquiry and that "we're confident of a fair outcome."

Johnson being the UA spokesperson quoted in the story.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:09 am

Seasoned FTers keep saying this, but I'm struggling to figure out what makes this "4 RDM" mistake any different from the "$0" mistake fares of yore.
The DoT regulations. Nothing else, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.