Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jesperss
2. age discrimination claims
That was perhaps the craziest argument in this thread!

Somebody might as well complain that their internet connection was too slow, and thus it caused them to not get their purchase submitted in time.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by RTW1
Was it advertised as a sale?
No, does it matter?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:27 pm

If United cancels the fare without notice, would it be fair to instantly dispute the credit card charge given that United generally takes around a month to actually refund you? I'm not in the business of providing free loans to United.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hobo13
That was perhaps the craziest argument in this thread!
I laughed when I saw that age thing. I mean, seriously?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by entropy
And Gornicht on the mobile version!
WOW

always thought it was "gournish"!

RIP sabta
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jesperss
4. the guy in the survey who booked 75 tickets
People like this make it so much more difficult for UA to honor the tickets. Hopefully it was a joke.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Regal Diamond
Originally Posted by as219
I think there are a lot of people to call, and many aren't on FT. I'm sure we'll know here 3 nanoseconds after the first call is made.

In any case, what's UA's rush at this point? They've already announced what they're going to do. Where it gets interesting is with people who are flying in the next couple of days...
Originally Posted by lax2010
May be they have not start calling because they couldn't figure whose tickets were issued with the 4-mile total mileage yet! LOL
Probably a combination of both. Might require manual checks of each record to determine if it was ticketed/priced/whatever "properly," then sorted based on departure date, then start making the calls?

But making the calls would mean writing the script for the CSRs to tell the customers, and any other decision trees, should the customer say no.

We don't know the magnitude of the mistake, either. We can guess all we want, but United isn't revealing the details (maybe suggesting that it might be a magnitude more than we imagined?).

Combined with the multitude of languages involved, this process could take longer. Not much solace to those who have reservations that are far in the future, but perhaps some good news for those traveling soon.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Given that we have no reports of calls...... I'd be pretty confident no calls have been made. That is noteworthy. I am in the camp that thinks UA is still sorting this out.

What's the rush? Well, they haven't given notice to the consumer yet. Posting on FT / MP does not constitute any sort of notice! So the clock is still running. It would seem to me that the DOT, a court, or even the media will be much more sympathetic to the consumer the longer UA sits on this and does nothing.

I'm still surprised they didn't just unilaterally (electronically) cancel tickets, like some OTA's did in the RGN deal. The fact that they didn't do that is telling.
You may be right that no calls have been made. I just don't think they're in any hurry to do this. If some people travel, it is what it is. It seems to me that if UA were in the least bit concerned that letting one pax travel might somehow imply all pax have to travel, then they would have cancelled everything from the start. Now, if there's still radio silence by the end of the week, then you're cooking with gas.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:31 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fragment54
If United cancels the fare without notice, would it be fair to instantly dispute the credit card charge given that United generally takes around a month to actually refund you? I'm not in the business of providing free loans to United.
If you're trying to get them to honor your booking I certainly would not dispute the credit card charge, the longer they hold on to the money the better.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, PC Plat
Originally Posted by ianmanka
Combined with the multitude of languages involved, this process could take longer.
I love it! Waiting for the first FTer receiving a call from UA to suddenly forget how to speak English...
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ianmanka

But making the calls would mean writing the script for the CSRs to tell the customers, and any other decision trees, should the customer say no.
I hope the ICC calls me!

Originally Posted by as219
You may be right that no calls have been made. I just don't think they're in any hurry to do this. If some people travel, it is what it is. It seems to me that if UA were in the least bit concerned that letting one pax travel might somehow imply all pax have to travel, then they would have cancelled everything from the start. Now, if there's still radio silence by the end of the week, then you're cooking with gas.
We mostly agree.

I have a general rule in my head that says something like: for every hour that passes from the time the deal was declared dead (with the reservation still alive and ticketed), the probability of flying on it goes up 1%.

So yea, end of the week? Looking good.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 17, 2012 at 2:38 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by zombietooth
90% of the public will never have the ability or the means to fly to HKG on whim. I am sure that you will get lots of sympathy there.

Be honest, this is a "Rich Man's Problem". Nobody cares but us few, damn few!
Do you understand how a writer could spin this as something could happen to you? Any type of negative PR is a bad idea and I'm not saying UA needs to honor this I'm saying they need to fess up and offer some sort of compensation for their mistake.
Cheers
Howie
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BA Silver, HHonors Gold, LeClub Accor Plat., Veteran of the EK Shower
We mostly agree.

I have a general rule in my head that says something like: for every hour that passes from the time the deal was declared dead (with the reservation still alive and ticketed), the probability of flying on it goes up 1%.

that my heartbeat sound at present fully agree ^
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:41 pm

I hope the ICC calls me!
Then there would be the chance you might end up with a valid ticket AND them dumping an extra 139,996 miles in your account.

Would love to see the ICC at work when they need to do something other than repeat: "Unfortunately, Sir, your request is not possible"

The calls (if made at all) will be coming from domestic agents.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond

Nice rule, though I would think of it more like a bell curve: The odds of things being instantly cancelled are low. They have to assess what's going on before deciding what to do. For me, the clock starts ticking 24 hours later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.