Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by pdx1M
The fact that UA chose to not strand a few people who had already started or were just about to start traveling seems irrelevant to me. If this was relevant then anytime UA makes an exception to provide extra customer service by bending some rule they have, they would be equally setting a precedent that everyone is always entitled to that exception. That seems pretty silly. All businesses will at times make exceptions to help a customer - I would not want to be in a system where doing so tied their hands. All that would do would guarantee you would never see an exception to any policy for any reason.
Even I agree with this in its principle. Problem is that when people are flying for 4 days AFTER its clear UA knows about the mistake, then its legitimate for other to expect flying as well and make plans. OTOH if UA had cancelled within 24h and then let people flyh the first week or so, it would have been good CS.

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Flyertalk has fast become a site for freeloaders rather than flyers.
To rephrase FT has mainly 2 groups, miles/points-enthusiasts and regular heavy flyers/travellers. The latter are normally paid by their business and dislike average Joe to get status, upgrades etc, as it could influence their own upgrades. Glad to have their expertise on FT, but to me FT is historically about the former group, and how the consumer/traveller can benefit on these programs.

As someone noted, main reason this deal or the people in on it have gotten so much mucking is that this thread is in UA forum, which has a huge group of the business fliers detailed above.

Obviously ppl in on the deal are not fully objective, but neither are those that are so afraid of their own upgrades. Would have been interesting to have more balanced critics.

Seems award mistake dont fit in MR forum, but then I suggest award mistakes at this scale are moved to milesbuzz.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: *A Gold, HH dia,Hyatt plat,Sixt PLAT,QF , EY Gold
Hey so just a quick question .i have been waiting for a response from DOT but others are saying its over. It's been way over two weeks since I lodged my complaint I thought I would receive a response or isn't that going to happen ?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
Hey so just a quick question .i have been waiting for a response from DOT but others are saying its over. It's been way over two weeks since I lodged my complaint I thought I would receive a response or isn't that going to happen ?
DOT does not answer individual complaints. You can contact them for clarification but it's over as far as they are concerned (I believe). Your next step is getting a tkt at the advertised fare or going to court yourself
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
It's been way over two weeks since I lodged my complaint I thought I would receive a response or isn't that going to happen ?
The process should be:

1) Complain to DOT;
2) Airline replies to customer with copy to DOT;
3) Passenger either accepts explanation/resolution or refiles with DOT with add'l info as to why the airline's reply isn't sufficient.

But, if you haven't received a reply from UA to your DOT complaint after a reasonable amount of time, it wouldn't be unreasonable to refile a complaint complaining about no reply.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by AeroWesty
The process should be:

1) Complain to DOT;
2) Airline replies to customer with copy to DOT;
3) Passenger either accepts explanation/resolution or refiles with DOT with add'l info as to why the airline's reply isn't sufficient.

But, if you haven't received a reply from UA to your DOT complaint after a reasonable amount of time, it wouldn't be unreasonable to refile a complaint complaining about no reply.
But if you file a complaint, complaining about no reply to your original complaint, make sure you ref the original complaint and complain to the DOT, not UA
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
make sure you ref the original complaint and complain to the DOT, not UA
I would have thought that was obvious with my use of the word "refile".
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
DOT does not answer individual complaints. You can contact them for clarification but it's over as far as they are concerned (I believe). Your next step is getting a tkt at the advertised fare or going to court yourself
Yep by and large its a done deal between UA & DoT. Those who already flew out and those flying within 7 days, as well as now those who booked via the phone will have their tkts Honored.Everyone else has been told to Go pound some sand.

So either you move on and had a few good laughs and storys to tell or head to court where to get max value it wont be in most places SC court, so if you lose you will be paying CO for its costs
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:59 am

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by craz
as well as now those who booked via the phone will have their tkts Honored.Everyone else has been told to Go pound some sand.
Isn't right that there is "Do not call" for those fares?

Next time I am going to call to book it.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Yep by and large its a done deal between UA & DoT. Those who already flew out and those flying within 7 days, as well as now those who booked via the phone will have their tkts Honored.Everyone else has been told to Go pound some sand.

So either you move on and had a few good laughs and storys to tell or head to court where to get max value it wont be in most places SC court, so if you lose you will be paying CO for its costs
I don't think we're there yet, but the fat lady is warming up.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by colpuck
I don't think we're there yet, but the fat lady is warming up.
in my book shes already singing and just about to reach the high note, its over COdbaUA won this round pretty much with the DoTs blessings
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HIDDY

Flyertalk has fast become a site for freeloaders rather than flyers.
My 5 year plan to move the Fatwalleters here is working.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
it wouldn't be unreasonable to refile a complaint complaining about no reply.
Here's a good template for that letter.

Dear DoT:

Two weeks ago I filed a complaint complaining that my HKG flight was cancelled. Anyway, I'd like to complain that my original complaint complaining did not receive a response. I want to file a new complaint complaining that my original complaint about complaining was not replied. Please get back to me with my new complaint complaining about the complaint complaining.

Thank you.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
in my book shes already singing and just about to reach the high note, its over COdbaUA won this round pretty much with the DoTs blessings
The only winners are the people who have actually flown for 4 miles.

The people who have cancelled tickets didn't lose anything - they never had anything to begin with.

UA is a net loser from the bad publicity and from the cost of honoring a few tickets.

DOT didn't bless anything - that's not its role. The fact that it chooses to apply its rules rationally is no surprise - there is no sense in doing something stupid that will be overturned in court. There will be better test cases coming down the pike, because we all know airlines have not invested in top programming and will pay the price.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
Originally Posted by Jesperss
Here's a good template for that letter.

Dear DoT:

Two weeks ago I filed a complaint complaining that my HKG flight was cancelled. Anyway, I'd like to complain that my original complaint complaining did not receive a response. I want to file a new complaint complaining that my original complaint about complaining was not replied. Please get back to me with my new complaint complaining about the complaint complaining.

Thank you.
+1 Now that was a real LOL.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by DianeDakota
+1 Now that was a real LOL.
You must be easy to impress.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.