Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
Originally Posted by alex_b
How does this view sit with DOT Rule § 253.10: Notice of contract of carriage choice-of-forum provisions?
No carrier may impose any contract of carriage provision containing a choice-of-forum clause that attempts to preclude a passenger, or a person who purchases a ticket for air transportation on behalf of a passenger, from bringing a claim against a carrier in any court of competent jurisdiction, including a court within the jurisdiction of that passenger’s residence in the United States (provided that the carrier does business within that jurisdiction).
UA does not have a choice-of-forum clause in their CoC. They do have one in their Web Site T&C. While the news is better for those of you who used a call center, I think UA gets a loophole for web bookings.

Originally Posted by alex_b
Also it's been often stated that United can unilateraly cancel MP accounts with no compensation. Is there anywhere where these contractual terms have been tested in court (citations please), especially is retaliation for legal action. I know in the UK this would fall under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts regulations, but I don't know US law well enough to comment on the US contract.
Yes. I have personal knowledge of this happening to (now former) Mileage Plus members. You might be able to use reinstating your account as leverage if you actually beat United in court, but unfortunately I have never heard of anyone beating UA in court. They do it regardless of whether they sue you, or you sue them. It was part of PMUA's standard procedure when dealing with litigation.

Though the conduct being discussed here is not a violation of the UA T&C, and as I was reminded by an acquaintance earlier today, if UA thinks you've violated their T&C and have done it from a work computer (based on IP), they have and will contact your employer with extremely nasty letters, usually indicating that an employee (naming you) has engaged in illegal activity in violation of a presumed corporate IT policy. This has resulted in people being fired from their (completely unrelated to UA) jobs. UA doesn't need anything from a court of law in order to do this (other than perhaps a subpoena related to the owner of the IP address, if not publicly available), and they are extremely, extremely vicious in how they pursue this avenue of intimidation.

You will not hear about these situations unless you are speaking to someone not party to the lawsuit, because the first thing that United requires when you settle with them in a suit or countersuit is to sign an NDA.

Key takeaway: PMUA fought dirty, dirty, dirty when it came to legal battles with customers. Dirtier than I've seen from any other corporate entity. Not sure if COdbUA does the same, but stands to reason they might...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ldpeters
Though the conduct being discussed here is not a violation of the UA T&C, and as I was reminded by an acquaintance earlier today, if UA thinks you've violated their T&C and have done it from a work computer (based on IP), they have and will contact your employer with extremely nasty letters, usually indicating that an employee (naming you) has engaged in illegal activity in violation of a presumed corporate IT policy.
I'm sorry, since when is violating UA's T&Cs considered an "illegal activity"?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, AS MVP Gold. Happily ex-1K, ex-Exec Plat, ex-DL Diamond for 5 years each
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I'm sorry, since when is violating UA's T&Cs considered an "illegal activity"?
They will argue that it is breach of contract, and I should have put "illegal" in quotes. I would read your corporate IT policy very closely, as most are overly broad and prohibit any "inappropriate" use. UA will argue the use is inappropriate. I'm not say that any of this is *right,* but rather that I know that this has been successful.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Really?

People have been fired from their jobs for buying airline tickets online on a Sunday Afternoon in a two hour period?

Please tell us more.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away

Dear Boss of Mr John Smith.

Due to the efforts of the same cracker jack IT team that made round trip tickets available online for four miles to china, we have traced the IP addressed used to purchase said tickets to your office.

We would like for you to fire Mr John Smith for his abuse of your corporate travel policy by buying tickets from our website. While we have never seen your corporate IT policy, we know this was illegal and against it.

Sincerely,

United
This thread gets further and further from reality with each post.

Nobody will lose their job because they bought airline tickets in this deal, at least not anybody who doesn't work for United or one of it's contractors.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Originally Posted by cordelli
Dear Boss of Mr John Smith.

Due to the efforts of the same cracker jack IT team that made round trip tickets available online for four miles to china, we have traced the IP addressed used to purchase said tickets to your office.

We would like for you to fire Mr John Smith for his abuse of your corporate travel policy by buying tickets from our website. While we have never seen your corporate IT policy, we know this was illegal and against it.

Sincerely,

United

LOL...this is a good one, also kudos to ldpeters' thriller stories dwarfed any Harlequin publications...really really started to re-enjoy the whole drama after rounds of terrible analogies and propaganda from UAL PRs.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Question for the lawyers/former small claims judge:

Don't most states require UA to agree to small claims as venue?

If they don't agree to small claims as venue and it requires getting kicked up to district/circuit/superior court? Will that not potentially force the plaintiffs to get a lawyer (assuming they would be handicapped to navigate a formal court setting)?

One other thing: I *thought* the line was you don't NEED an attorney in small claims courts..... Rather then you CAN'T have an attorney represent you.

Can someone confirm (or deny) the above?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Question for the lawyers/former small claims judge:

Don't most states require UA to agree to small claims as venue?

If they don't agree to small claims as venue and it requires getting kicked up to district/circuit/superior court? Will that not potentially force the plaintiffs to get a lawyer (assuming they would be handicapped to navigate a formal court setting)?

One other thing: I *thought* the line was you don't NEED an attorney in small claims courts..... Rather then you CAN'T have an attorney represent you.

Can someone confirm (or deny) the above?
No, UA gets no say in SCC as a venue choice unless the value of the dispute exceeds the limits of the court. (aka the court lacks subject matter jurisdiction over the case)

Now UA can venue shop. IE lets say in AZ where I am. I live in FLG some two hours north of PHX. The majority of UA ops in AZ are operated out of PHX. If I sued UA where I lived they could make the argument that the FLG court is not the proper venue and have it moved to PHX forcing me to drive down there to sue them.

to sue anyone it doesn't matter if it is in Small Claims or the supreme court, three things have to be met.

The defendant has to be subject to personal jurisdiction in the jurisdiction your want to sue
The court has to have subject matter jurisdiction over case in question
and the court has to be the proper venue for the defendant to appear in.

missing anyone of those you get laughed out of court.

So some SCC ban attorneys (WA) or allow them with the consent of all parties (AZ) or there are no rules at all it depends on your state.

Last edited by colpuck; Jul 31, 2012 at 9:20 pm
Old Jul 31, 2012, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by colpuck
No, UA gets no say in SCC as a venue choice unless the value of the dispute exceeds the limits of the court. (aka the court lacks subject matter jurisdiction over the case)
Maybe I used venue incorrectly..... Let me ask again/follow up:

Doesn't UA have to agree to small claims as the forum?

IE: UA gets served, then they either agree to small claims or request it go to a formal trial (jury or otherwise) and it gets kicked up to superior/district/circuit/etc.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Maybe I used venue incorrectly..... Let me ask again/follow up:

Doesn't UA have to agree to small claims as the forum?

IE: UA gets served, then they either agree to small claims or request it go to a formal trial (jury or otherwise) and it gets kicked up to superior/district/circuit/etc.
No. (unless there is some state specific law that grants the defendant that right)
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli
Really?
People have been fired from their jobs for buying airline tickets online on a Sunday Afternoon in a two hour period?
No, I didn't say this. I also wasn't insinuating that this would happen. I was using it as an example of the hardball legal tactics that UA has been known to play, to show that they have

In the specific case in question, it involved someone using a computer on an employer's network, during the work day, to purchase about a dozen fully refundable airline tickets, in the hopes of getting VDBed on one or more. UA sued the passenger. When attempts to collect against the passenger were completely unsuccessful (UA was finding it difficult convince a judge that the passenger had breached the CoC), they sent a nasty letter to the owner of the network alleging inappropriate use of the network (the employer had a publicly available network use policy), and found some technicality which they claimed the employee violated. I know the lawyer involved. It was not pretty.

UA has no grounds to proceed against any of the folks in question. But, getting involved in a lawsuit with UA sounds like something I want to avoid, because you open yourself up to a) all sorts of ......, dirty tactics; b) you open yourself up to all sorts of countersuits; c) winning is a complete crapshoot.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:54 pm

Programs: Costco Club
Originally Posted by colpuck

Now UA can venue shop. IE lets say in AZ where I am. I live in FLG some two hours north of PHX. The majority of UA ops in AZ are operated out of PHX. If I sued UA where I lived they could make the argument that the FLG court is not the proper venue and have it moved to PHX forcing me to drive down there to sue them.

to sue anyone it doesn't matter if it is in Small Claims or the supreme court, three things have to be met.

The defendant has to be subject to personal jurisdiction in the jurisdiction your want to sue
The court has to have subject matter jurisdiction over case in question
and the court has to be the proper venue for the defendant to appear in.

missing anyone of those you get laughed out of court.

So some SCC ban attorneys (WA) or allow them with the consent of all parties (AZ) or there are no rules at all it depends on your state.
I always thought that the venue was where the offense occurred and if the company does business in that state. I've sued multi-national corporations (including airlines) in Small Claims court and not once has the venue been changed.
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:09 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by billxmeredith
First - you'll have the burden of proof based on your contract that United did not have the right to cancel your ticket. So lets say you break out your contract of carriage and the judge finds in your favor (which they won't) - but if they did - they can't order United to fly you - they don't have that power. Small claims court deals with monetary damages. A judge can only order United to refund the money you paid - just like any contract. It doesn't matter if this is United or any other company - a small claims court can't order a company to provide a service - just refund the money.
You start with the correct premise, but I don't think you reach the right conclusion.

The judge can (if he/she decides that you have proven your case) order United to pay enough money (up to the small claims limit) for you to buy a cash ticket to HKG in F.

"Making you whole" in contract usually refers to expectation damages (giving you the "benefit of the bargain").

A refund of the miles and taxes would only be rescission damages (undo the contract) or restitution damages (return the payment), which are usually not considered to fully make the plaintiff whole in a breach of contract situation, but are sometimes used in special cases (for example, when expectation damages would be totally unfair, for exceptional reasons; or, when performance of the contract is literally impossible). But that tends to be the exception, not the rule.

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
I always thought that the venue was where the offense occurred and if the company does business in that state. I've sued multi-national corporations (including airlines) in Small Claims court and not once has the venue been changed.
"Personal jurisdiction" is a separate concept from "venue."

Many/most courts in the state where the offense occurred may have personal jurisdiction over the defendant. But it's possible that only a few courts, or only one court, will be considered a proper venue (based on legal standards involving the residences of the parties, and other factors such as convenience to third-party witnesses, etc.)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 1, 2012 at 4:56 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 1, 2012, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
"Personal jurisdiction" is a separate concept from "venue."

Many/most courts in the state where the offense occurred may have personal jurisdiction over the defendant. But it's possible that only a few courts, or only one court, will be considered a proper venue (based on legal standards involving the residences of the parties, and other factors such as convenience to third-party witnesses, etc.)
If you're suing a business in small claims court, and they do business in the state (and by default in your jurisdiction if they do internet business) then they have "residency" in that state correct?

I know in California (from the CA courts website):

What if I am suing because I bought something or I paid for a service?
You can file your claim in the county:

Where you (the buyer) lives;
Where you (the buyer) lived when the item or service was purchased; or
Where you (the buyer) bought or paid for the item or service.

Also for those saying that small claims court would not be the appropriate venue because small claims courts can't issue injunctive relief, look for a state law that the UA situation violated that issues a civil penalty and sue Ipso facto

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 1, 2012 at 4:57 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:07 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
For all you "soon to be lawyers" I thought I would post some real information about "mistake." Here is the official jury instruction for use in a California court. What appears between brackets is where I substituted actual names for blanks in the instruction:

[United] claims that there was no contract because [it] was mistaken about [the final price being charged for certain first class tickets]. To succeed, [United] must prove all of the following:
1. That [United] was mistaken about [the price, in FF miles, which its computer said should be charged for the tickets];
2. That [Frequent Flyer ticket holder] knew [United] was mistaken and used that mistake to take advantage of [it];
3. That [United]’s mistake was not caused by [its] excessive carelessness; and
4. That [United] would not have agreed to enter into the contract if [it] had known about the mistake.
If you decide that [United] has proved all of the above, then no contract was created.

You can argue "excessive carelessness." You can argue "knew United was mistaken and used that mistake to take advantage of it." But you can't argue "once the computer sold me the ticket they were obligated."
Old Aug 1, 2012, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by sbrower
For all you "soon to be lawyers" I thought I would post some real information about "mistake." Here is the official jury instruction for use in a California court. What appears between brackets is where I substituted actual names for blanks in the instruction:

[United] claims that there was no contract because [it] was mistaken about [the final price being charged for certain first class tickets]. To succeed, [United] must prove all of the following:
1. That [United] was mistaken about [the price, in FF miles, which its computer said should be charged for the tickets];
2. That [Frequent Flyer ticket holder] knew [United] was mistaken and used that mistake to take advantage of [it];
3. That [United]’s mistake was not caused by [its] excessive carelessness; and
4. That [United] would not have agreed to enter into the contract if [it] had known about the mistake.
If you decide that [United] has proved all of the above, then no contract was created.

You can argue "excessive carelessness." You can argue "knew United was mistaken and used that mistake to take advantage of it." But you can't argue "once the computer sold me the ticket they were obligated."
No juries in small claims court.

If you do decide to have your case heard in front of a jury, that might be better. Juries aren't always the smartest in the bunch, whether we like to think it or not. A jury could just as easily decide that the defendant didn't prove their case, or a jury could just have a vendetta against the defendant. Juries are really weird sometimes.

In this particular matter, [United] (in my opinion) didn't act in good faith in handling the situation, and they didn't handle the situation the same for everybody (my understanding is that some people actually traveled) is there any collusion or fraud or deceit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.