Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by Blumie
A brilliant restatement of your conclusion that because UA made a mistake, UA should be required to honor it. Congratulations!
Ok, I am done feeding this.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:35 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by colpuck
Ok, I am done feeding this.
That, of course, is your choice. But I don't think the fact that someone pointed out that your logic is circular (and wrong under the law) is a good reason to leave. It is a good reason to see whether you can be more persuasive.

Originally Posted by Bacopa
I'm glad DOT has made up their mind. It's a shame they won't release a public statement explicating the reasons why they ruled in favor of UA. (I know a bunch of quasi-legal opinions are floating around here, but I'd like to hear the reasoning from DOT itself). I'm curious as to how they officially differentiated this from the recent RGN currency-conversion error/fare mistake. This seems useful for flyers when evaluating possible `fare mistakes' and/or deals in the future. I suppose it's time for an FOIA request for those that are curios.
I strongly doubt that "the DOT has made up their mind." Thay might have decided not to open an investigation because, notwithstanding the words of the [poorly written] regulation, they have decided not to get invovled here. And, as much as I like FOIA requests, I don't think it will help here -- my memory (feel free to correct me) is that there is an exception for regulatory deliberations.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 30, 2012 at 3:42 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbrower
That, of course, is your choice. But I don't think the fact that someone pointed out that your logic is circular (and wrong under the law) is a good reason to leave. It is a good reason to see whether you can be more persuasive.
Seeing as it is neither, I beg to differ.

He has nothing say against what I posted other than "no" which in this case is neither correct legally nor morally. The rules are the rules neither party made a mistake here, we both knew what we were buying and selling. There is no legal out for UA to keep from honoring the tickets, especially when they have already honored some.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by CMHFlyerOH
That could be true (and I hope it is), but I find it unlikely that United would respond to me using my DOT-provided contact information, unless United's response was made in consultation with and/or approval of the DOT. Why dig an even deeper hole?

Otherwise, what would be the point of making a complaint through the DOT if they were just going to blindly pass along contact information of a passenger filing said complaint to the airline? One of the DOT's jobs is to make sure that regulations are followed, and since it appears that United felt it could respond to my complaint in this way through my contact information provided by the DOT, I have a hard time believing that the DOT hadn't made a "ruling."

It's not like we ever expected (based on past experiences with similar issues) that the DOT would make some sort of public statement regarding this.
How are they digging a deeper hole? They're just restating their position, as they've said publicly before.

The text I quoted just says that "Where appropriate, letters and web form submissions will be forwarded to an official at the airline for further consideration." Nothing says that they will pass along information only in conjunction with a DOT ruling or recommendation. I wouldn't call it blindly passing along, nor do I see how doing so means DOT isn't doing something.

We have some people like colpluck who received no communication despite a DOT complaint, others like myself who received the original UA email but not to our primary address registered with UA. It's really impossible to know what's happening with all of these email or lack of emails.

Maybe DOT has or hasn't made a decision, I just don't see this one email as evidence one way or another.

I strongly doubt that "the DOT has made up their mind." Thay might have decided not to open an investigation because, notwithstanding the words of the [poorly written] regulation, they have decided not to get invovled here. And, as much as I like FOIA requests, I don't think it will help here -- my memory (feel free to correct me) is that there is an exception for regulatory deliberations.
You're thinking of pre-decisional deliberations, which is generally correct as an exemption (I'm on the receiving end of FOIA requests). Not sure how the DOT handles and documents these internally, but once a decision is made - either to investigate or not; and if so, the outcome, the decision would usually be releasable as it then becomes a "record". Hard to say with certainty as there can be nuances to each particular record request.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 30, 2012 at 4:00 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Plusflyer
The (non-free) paper actually references this article to come with the $23 value:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/23137092/#.UBbzgccgcs1

It's hard to say how accurate is this $23 figure and how it was calculated but I think this is indeed of the order of the marginal cost of hauling the weight of an extra passenger on an average domestic award flight (marginal cost is the cost of the extra weight not the cost of hauling the weight of the airplane). On an international flight, it is a few times larger due to longer route and additional service (free luggage and food service). But anyway, the marginal cost of filling an otherwise empty seat is low. The cost of an F award ticker are somewhat larger but it is anyway of the order of low hundreds not thousands of dollars. That's why frequent flyer programs are so profitable.
But, that is not what we are talking about here. The article presumes that the plane goes out with unfilled seats. Most HKG flights go out full in J and F. And, we are talking about a large quantity of Standard awards in this situation, which rob from the revenue buckets. In addition, it totally disregards UFC, which is common on this route and is usually on the order of 1K per direction. Since premium cabins rarely go out with any empty seats to HKG, the marginal cost argument is moot.

The main problem here is that the guilty conscience wants a salve to justify dishonorable behavior, and the exploiters here are twisting themselves into Gordian knots trying to find reasons why UA and its passengers would not be harmed by honoring these tickets---it is a hopeless task.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 30, 2012 at 5:02 pm
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:59 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by as219
Anyone with even the most cursory understanding of economics knows perfectly well that UA can't just pass the costs of its mistakes onto its consumers. If UA raises prices to compensate for its mistake, guess what? It becomes uncompetitive and drives its customers to other carriers. The people who will eat the cost are the shareholders who have to deal with the effects -- as minute as they will be -- of reduced profitability.

And please, for the umpteenth time, the DoT regulations say even mistake fares have to be honored. So, if you feel that strongly about this subject, why don't you go write your Congressperson a letter asking for change instead of obsessing over the fact that some FTers want regulations to be followed?
UA can certainly pass the cost of this mistake on to it's customers and I fear it may veto late, even if this mistake does not cost them a dime. No, they can't just raise fares as you are correct, they can't run the risk of being uncompetitive. But what they can very easily do is make getting award tickets not quite as user friendly as they are now. How many of us have benefited from UA's very liberal and generous ticketing and routing rules for award tkts ?(compared to most other airlines). We are all the losers here if UA comes out and says no more close in bookings or changes within 48 hours of departure? That would certainly help UA scrutinize bookings before actual tkts are issued, assuring that this kind of problem, even if it happens again does not hurt UA. But those members who have always benefited by bizarre routines and/or multiple changes to better flights as they open will all lose
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:09 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program

He has nothing say against what I posted other than "no" which in this case is neither correct legally nor morally. The rules are the rules neither party made a mistake here, we both knew what we were buying and selling. There is no legal out for UA to keep from honoring the tickets, especially when they have already honored some.
Your definition of "mistake" doesn't match my understanding of the law. The fact that the computer system "allowed" the sale (even if it is UA's fault for using a lousy system) doesn't mean that UA intended to sell the tickets for 4 miles each.

I have seen multi-million dollar contracts, drafted by lawyers who were paid thousands of dollars just to review the documents, where the parties signed the documents which included clauses saying "everyone read this stupid thing and agree to what it says" and the court still (correctly) found that there were "mistakes" in the agreement.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your definition of "mistake" doesn't match my understanding of the law. The fact that the computer system "allowed" the sale (even if it is UA's fault for using a lousy system) doesn't mean that UA intended to sell the tickets for 4 miles each.
there an argument. Maybe, maybe not. It seemed clear to me that they intended to sell tickets for 4 miles each. It seemed to clear to the phone agent that united intended to sell tickets for 4 miles each when then United Airlines agent issued the ticket.

Where's the mistake-in-fact, both parties knew that they were issuing tickets for four miles each.

Even if there was no obligation (which is what you are arguing under the mistake doctrine) when United Airlines honored the tickets, they vailidated their obligation. UA's true mistake was in honoring some of the tickets.

fyi here is my understanding of what a mistake is.
an error in comprehending facts, meaning of words or the law, which causes one party or both parties to enter into a contract without understanding the obligations or results. Such a mistake can entitle one party or both parties to a rescission (cancellation) of the contract.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:35 pm

I have seen multi-million dollar contracts, drafted by lawyers who were paid thousands of dollars just to review the documents, where the parties signed the documents which included clauses saying "everyone read this stupid thing and agree to what it says" and the court still (correctly) found that there were "mistakes" in the agreement.
That's a great argument but after reading at least half of these posts, I have come to the conclusion that a whole bunch of people here on FT are color blind. They see the rules, laws, etc only in black and white which helps them support whichever view they have. Fortunately, laws are never black and white, 99/100 times they are grey but for people here to admit that would be to admit they may be wrong. It's such a simplistic view of this situation that makes these arguments both for and against UA so laughable.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by 84fiero
How are they digging a deeper hole? They're just restating their position, as they've said publicly before.
In my opinion, they would "digging a deeper hole" if they responded to a customer complaint in a way that was disconsonant with the DOT's official position. Now we don't know, of course, if the DOT even has a position. But, in my opinion, it seems logical that the DOT would only pass along contact information of a person filing a complaint if:

1. The DOT felt that the airline had violated a regulation and the DOT is asking the airline to work with the customer to resolve/settle his/her complaint

or

2. The DOT felt that the airline had not violated a regulation but is passing along the contact information of a person who filed a complaint to the airline to give that airline a voluntary opportunity to reach out to that customer, either in the form on a explanatory letter (as in this case) or some sort of voluntary compensation if they feel it is in their best interests to do so.

I just fail to see--in spite of anything that is listed on the complaint form--why the DOT would pass along the contact information of a complaint filer under any other circumstances.

Again--this is just my opinion--but, logically speaking, it makes sense to me.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:53 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
there an argument. Maybe, maybe not. It seemed clear to me that they intended to sell tickets for 4 miles each. It seemed to clear to the phone agent that united intended to sell tickets for 4 miles each when then United Airlines agent issued the ticket.

Where's the mistake-in-fact, both parties knew that they were issuing tickets for four miles each.
Really? You truly believe that UA priced the ticket at over 100k miles, but they intended to sell it a 4/8 miles? Sales are advertised. What on earth in your history on this planet would make you suspect anything but an error? Possibly a small child with no ticket buying experience might think this was a legit deal, but you are fooling noone, so why not drop the charade about you believing it was UA's intent to do so.

If yo have real points, please share them, but trying to bs us on this is a waste of our time.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 6:12 pm

You may be right but then again you may be as wrong as anyone else here. "Rules are rules" is a very simple argument that holds no water . A rule is only as good as the people who's job it is to enterpit them. Show me any "rule" or "regulation" and I'll show you 5 ways of finding exceptions to it, regardless of if they are written or not. UA has people working their way around this who are a lot smarter and more acquainted with this case then you or I (regardless of what your inside source tells you or who you used to work for). Everyone has an opinion here or worse, an analogy and while 99 out of 100 of them sound ridiculous, they are still based on the same facts that anyone else here has stated; none.

Originally Posted by fastair
Really? You truly believe that UA priced the ticket at over 100k miles, but they intended to sell it a 4/8 miles? Sales are advertised. What on earth in your history on this planet would make you suspect anything but an error? Possibly a small child with no ticket buying experience might think this was a legit deal, but you are fooling noone, so why not drop the charade about you believing it was UA's intent to do so.

If yo have real points, please share them, but trying to bs us on this is a waste of our time.
^^. Nicely put!

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
You've argued these "4 Mile" tickets will INCREASE the fares you paid today.
I argued saying
1) Price of Oil have increased significantly in the last 10 years
2) Inflation except this is reverse since de-regulation
3) Labor doesn't become cheaper, United, where is my health insurance
4) Increased amount of competitor such as B6, VX plus the middle eastern EK, EY, QR
will do alot more to increased your everyday tickets WAY MORE than "4 Mile" ever could
This mistake may will not cause fares to rise, but that does not mean UA will not find another way of fixing this wound and rest assured it can still end up costing us a lot in the long run. As I have pointed out before, if I were UA I would have a very very simple fix that would assure this never happens again and it has NOTHING to do with fixing a computer. If UA were to now say all award tickets required 48 hours to process, this would give them time to have people in ticketing plenty of time to catch mistakes and fix them or cancel the booking. But the end result is 2 of the best parts of Milesge Zulus would be gone for us; close in ticketing snd the ability to change segments the last minute when better flights become available. Don't fool yourselves, this whole 4 mile deal could really hurt a lot of us

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 30, 2012 at 6:50 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My belief in their intent comes from their actions. They willingly sold tickets for 8mi a pop. But it wasn't just the website they did it over the phone too. Then they honored those tickets. Now they want a redo, I think not.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite

I bought a couch at 1000.00, I thought I got a great deal, 2 days later they cancelled my order since I should've paid 3K.

Guess what, they honored it at the end and UA should honor this.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:43 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
http://shine.yahoo.com/work-money/fl...201300319.html

I couldn't resist.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.