Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:19 am

Originally Posted by andyh64000
I would feel the same...especially since every single person who booked these knew they were scamming united through a computer glitch. It is the same thing as if Beer was rung up at your local supermarket self checkout at 1 cent instead of 7 dollars and rather than letting someone know you went back and bought multiple cases of beer. That would be wrong at all levels and so is this. I am writing letters to UA and DOT to please not give in and allow the tickets to cancelled.
OK got your point, but there is still a discrepancy here. UA blessed all those who flew till July 21st and I feel how can we have 2 different end results for different people who signed up for the same 4 mile deal.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:25 am

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyer31
OK got your point, but there is still a discrepancy here. UA blessed all those who flew till July 21st and I feel how can we have 2 different end results for different people who signed up for the same 4 mile deal.
Probably because that is what they agreed to with DoT. People already en route or just about to be might be legitimately disserviced with hotels, rental cars, etc. and so UA agreed to honor those tickets.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by gvol21
This presupposes that everyone who took advantage of the deal is willing to fight United tooth and nail to get their 4 mile tickets. Obviously, that's quite a lot of people here, but not everyone. So in the extremely unlikely event that the DOT would reinstate the tickets, should United close down the accounts of those who booked but took no further action? What cause would they give? "Dear United Mileage Plus member: Due to your willingness to take advantage of our IT incompetence, we are terminating your Mileage Plus account, effective immediately."
A single incident would likely not cause the closing of your account unless you were booking tickets with your miles and selling/trading tickets to other flyers.

There were a bunch of these tickets that were evidently sold or attempted to be sold. Those tickets will stand-out like a sore thumb when the UA fraud prevention department completes its review of every ticket issued under this mistake. You can be sure that anybody who booked tickets in the names of other flyers has had their account flagged already. And I would say that anyone who booked more than a few of these is probably done for.

The rest of you probably don't have anything to worry about. Although, as I have pointed out before, they can and do close accounts and confiscate miles for what seem like minor infractions such as hidden-city ticketing and nested itineraries. They seem to have a zero tolerance policy if they think you have sold anything though.

And, of course, they are holding all of the cards with regards to FF miles and don't have to prove anything to terminate you.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 22, 2012 at 12:41 am
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:47 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by srdshelly
I'd actually like to see United grow a pair and shut down the accounts of these whiny freeloaders who think they're so entitled. Stick to your guns, United. It was obviously, unmistakably an error, and nobody deserves a free ticket to Hong Kong because of it.
UA might have the "right" to do that but it would still be the wrong thing to do if done arbitrarily. 3 kinds of people got in on this. The majority took advantage if a computer error and hoped the tkts would be honored. But they knew the chances were low and have walked away laughing. UA should have no problem w this or these people. (Even the people that are going thru the motions w the DOT, while I don't agree with them, have that right and should not be penalized for it. However, for those intent on not even listening to the DOT if it does not go your way and are already looking at ways to drag UA thru the dirt, UA would be 100% correct in canceling those accounts and asking those "customers" to fly another airline in the future. Those die hards are hell bent on hurting UA any way they can & UA would be within their rights to wash their hands w those people.

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
I've given up trying to get updates from this thread, since it seems to be totally taken over by those without any skin in the game but with a lot of time on their hands. During the RGN deal someone kindly took the initiative to start a Google Group so that the discussion could be limited only to those who want to talk about the deal itself.

I've taken the liberty of creating a Google Group for anyone who wants to talk about the deal. If you want to participate, PM me your email address. WARNING: This group is for deal discussion only, especially as we work through the DOT issues. Anyone who posts ethical or moral opinions will be asked to leave the group. If you don't like this condition, don't join. In addition, UAL employees and anyone affiliated with UAL is not permitted to join.

Sounds like a GREAT idea for those of you that want to pursue this. Clearly, I am not invited to join and that's fine. But those of you who want to attack everyone on "FT" that does not agree with you, too bad. FT Is a place for different views. If you don't like hearing from people that don't agree w you, this is the wrong place to be. Great idea w this Google thing. You guys can waste your time trying to get UA to honor your tickets without the rest if us bothering you

FYI - your comments about UA employees not being welcome will be very hard to enforce. It's the Internet - its anonymous

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 22, 2012 at 4:21 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by kb1992
+1

I didn't book 4 mile ticket to HKG.

But I completely agree with you.

It is so unfair for UA to have the ability to walk away from its mistakes, but we customers must pay change fee to make a change.
UA is actually pretty reasonable about change fees. I just changed an international W-fare ticket for $150-. So the maximum extent of damage that any of you aggrieved flyers can suffer from a single cancellation incident is $150- to $250- depending on the type ticket/itinerary. The maximum loss that UA would suffer from honoring each of these tickets could be many thousands of dollars per incident. So, if the DOT were to rule that the 4-mile bookings would have to be honored, they would be tipping the scales way too far in the favor of flyers.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Sounds like a GREAT idea for those of you that want to pursue this. Clearly, I am not invited to join and that's fine. But those of you who want to attack everyone on "FT" that does not agree with you, too bad. FT Is a place for different views. If you don't like hearing from people that don't agree w you, this is the wrong place to be. Great idea w this Google thing. You guys can waste your time trying to get UA to honor your tickets without the rest if us bothering you

FYI - your comments about UA employees not being welcome will be very hard to enforce. It's the Internet - its anonymous
Especially since most of the whiners here are "low post wonders". It would take the UA fraud prevention department zero effort to infiltrate their party. I hope that none of these bozos actually used the same email address from their FT account for their MP account.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 22, 2012 at 4:21 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:07 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
What is "Fuel Dumping"?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Especially since most of the whiners here are "low post wonders". It would take the UA fraud prevention department zero effort to infiltrate their party. I hope that none of these bozos actually used the same email address from their FT account for their MP account.
It would seem unlikely that IB would turn over private contact info for their members to UAL.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
What is "Fuel Dumping"?
Fuel dumping is a way of exploiting the plating agreements between carriers to remove the YQ surcharge by "tricking" the plating carrier on a cheap flight into not collecting the YQ when it issues the ticket for the international carrier. It can be very advantageous on international itineraries where the YQ can be very large. It is very hard to control the fare class when you buy an FD'd ticket, so you can't count on getting an upgradeable fare, because you can't book FD itineraries on .bomb, but have to book on some of the OTAs that allow the exotic bookings that are required to achieve the FD.

They are not interesting to me for actual bookings because you can't buy upgradeable fares, but they are challenging and fun to find because they are like a big treasure hunt/puzzle. There are some people that do it all day long and find incredible glitches in the ORSs of airlines and then post clues so that others can find them in the "Trick it/negotiate it" thread.

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 22, 2012 at 1:23 am
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, UA LT-Gold, SPG Plat, HH Dia, Hyatt Dia, MR Gold
I don't think they mind having their accounts closed with less than 500 miles in the account

Seriously, what is your intent? To scare off those who have booked tickets from this deal?

Perhaps you should also post in the fuel dump thread as well, and let them know all airlines will be auditing tickets in future to prevent revenue loss.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
There were a bunch of these tickets that were evidently sold or attempted to be sold. Those tickets will stand-out like a sore thumb when the UA fraud prevention department completes its review of every ticket issued under this mistake. You can be sure that anybody who booked tickets in the names of other flyers has had their account flagged already. And I would say that anyone who booked more than a few of these is probably done for.

The rest of you probably don't have anything to worry about. Although, as I have pointed out before, they can and do close accounts and confiscate miles for what seem like minor infractions such as hidden-city ticketing and nested itineraries. They seem to have a zero tolerance policy if they think you have sold anything though.

And, of course, they are holding all of the cards with regards to FF miles and don't have to prove anything to terminate you.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by ws8n
I don't think they mind having their accounts closed with less than 500 miles in the account

Seriously, what is your intent? To scare off those who have booked tickets from this deal?

Perhaps you should also post in the fuel dump thread as well, and let them know all airlines will be auditing tickets in future to prevent revenue loss.
Nothing scary here, I was merely answering a question.

The active FDers are an incredibly wary and smart bunch, unlike the gaggle that is posting here about suing UA over "breach of contract" issues, etc.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:28 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
So well said ^^^ Why is there a double standard? UA messes up - and want out of the contracts? Ok then every time I mess up on a booking, I want out of it too.
If you mess up your booking, UA did allow you to get out of it by canceling your booking within 24-hour; did UA not cancel/cleanup their mess within 24-hour?

I think $mi$eck's problem is that his IT department is so messed up that they don't even know how many 4-mile tickets were issued! If I were $mi$eck, I cancel them all within the 24-hour grace period so that no one can ever complain about "double standard".

Last edited by lax2010; Jul 22, 2012 at 2:35 am
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by ws8n
+1

I don't think UA want another bad publicity with the Headlines - "UA closes 1000s of Mileage Plus account due to booking 4 mile HKG flights"

But I think AA will be happy with more business coming their way.
That wouldn't be bad publicity.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by Shanye2233
If it takes DOT two weeks to make a decision in the meantime what happens to those pax who were suppose to travelwithin that period? I do like the decision for one intinerary per account to be honored if you make a mistake it's only fair to pay for it but not over and over again.

I do remember when I booked my ticket there was global first available on UA but on two legs on OZ only business class I'm not sure if there was no availability or its not bookable.

If they change the flights to be all on UA metal what about those flights that hkg-icn which they don't fly?

Lastly it's hard to believe they allow travellers to fly until 22nd july while people like the fruit guy who couldn't make it to the airport and myself who had to work not.
It has been getting so argumental that I stopped follow this for a while!

What are all these talks about UA only allow these tickets to travel through 7/21 or 7/22? Was there some kind of rumor or UA announcement?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:02 am

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by lax2010
It has been getting so argumental that I stopped follow this for a while!

What are all these talks about UA only allow these tickets to travel through 7/21 or 7/22? Was there some kind of rumor or UA announcement?
Originally Posted by UAinsider
[*]For those customers who have already begun travel, or are ticketed to begin travel on or before July 21, we will not cancel these tickets and will allow travel to be completed in full. This is intended as an accommodation to those customers whose travel is already underway or the departure date to begin travel is imminent.[/LIST][/INDENT]

I was one of those with protected tickets when the UA Insider came out with the Official United Airlines post.
They did honor the tickets as issued for myself as I was already in the air when they came out with their statement.
So those that have begun travel on or prior July 21st should have their tickets protected as I can report mine was.

Others have said they were traveling before to July 21 but haven't started their trip as of the release of that statement on the 19th 8:53pm EDT, I haven't seen any other posting after for that group but they might still be in the air.

Hope that helps
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
I was one of those with protected tickets when the UA Insider came out with the Official United Airlines post.
They did honor the tickets as issued for myself as I was already in the air when they came out with their statement.
So those that have begun travel on or prior July 21st should have their tickets protected as I can report mine was.

Others have said they were traveling before to July 21 but haven't started their trip as of the release of that statement on the 19th 8:53pm EDT, I haven't seen any other posting after for that group but they might still be in the air.

Hope that helps
Thanks for the info. I found the UA Insider's update posting and now know what was going on.

IMHO, I think picking a future date (I.e., July 21) for making all cancellations is a big mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.