Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
I, admittedly, know nothing about "Award Accelerator."

However, if you can go on the United website and purchase the necessary miles for a particular trip for $2,800, and be reasonably assured that you can use the purchased miles for your intended trip, then why in the world would anyone ever pay more than the mileage cost for a ticket?

Thus, if, hypothetically, a F ticket to HKG from SFO costs $5000, but you can buy the needed miles for the same ticket and journey for $2,800, why would you buy the revenue ticket?

What am I missing here?
Less flexibility, no earning ability, who cares if somebody else is footing the bill?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by andyh64000
I don't think anyone is wringing their hands...just pointing out that it was wrong and the DoT will agree and allow UA to cancel all the tickets.
I don't see why the DoT would care if it's "wrong". That's a moral argument, not a legal one. The DoT is not into morality, but legality.

No one has really touched on the nature of what a "mistake" means in a contract action. A mistake is a defense to a breach of contract. That is, there is clearly a contract here (UA offered to sell these tickets for 4 miles, and there was acceptance and consideration). Now generally "mistake" would allow UA to get out of the contract, as a defense. But the DoT regs pretty much clearly say that mistake is not a defense. Contract law is "common law", except for statutory law that changes it. This, being enacted regulation, would have the force of law.

No one can say that United is completely innocent here. They were already put on notice that mistake fares couldn't be touched (that DoT FAQ has been around for a while before this happened). Yes, it's absolutely inequitable and the people that pounced on this fare are getting an unbelievably awesome deal... one that they otherwise would not and should not have gotten. But this DoT reg that takes away the mistake defense pretty much says that they can get it. And United can only blame itself for having a shoddy second rate system in place. They knew the risks (DoT put them on notice with this regulation and clarifications of the regulation) and failed to do anything about it.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by hobo13
Hahaha, good sport. Or chump like me who didn't realize it worked for STANDARD!
Well, I didn't realize that it worked TO Hong Kong, so that's the biggest whoopsie I made booking, but still got my 4 miles worth I think :-).

Originally Posted by uncertaintraveler
What am I missing here?
You have to be a bit creative to use that option.
Plus award ticket won't get you any EQM.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:49 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
I think you are under the assumption that United only sells full-priced FC fares.
10k+ is a joke. Who's stupid enough to pay $10k+ for United Global First? Oh, right, those angry "most valuable customer"
$21k from the East Coast US to HKG in UNITED GloblalF....

They sell it, and apparently some suckers buy it, UNITED takes their payment and smiles.

They sell it for 4 miles and they are the sucker suddenly UNITED is not smiling any more.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scottymacesq
I don't see why the DoT would care if it's "wrong". That's a moral argument, not a legal one. The DoT is not into morality, but legality.

No one has really touched on the nature of what a "mistake" means in a contract action. A mistake is a defense to a breach of contract. That is, there is clearly a contract here (UA offered to sell these tickets for 4 miles, and there was acceptance and consideration). Now generally "mistake" would allow UA to get out of the contract, as a defense. But the DoT regs pretty much clearly say that mistake is not a defense. Contract law is "common law", except for statutory law that changes it. This, being enacted regulation, would have the force of law.

No one can say that United is completely innocent here. They were already put on notice that mistake fares couldn't be touched (that DoT FAQ has been around for a while before this happened). Yes, it's absolutely inequitable and the people that pounced on this fare are getting an unbelievably awesome deal... one that they otherwise would not and should not have gotten. But this DoT reg that takes away the mistake defense pretty much says that they can get it. And United can only blame itself for having a shoddy second rate system in place. They knew the risks (DoT put them on notice with this regulation and clarifications of the regulation) and failed to do anything about it.
Except the DoT has discretion here and there is a huge difference between paying $1200 for a mistake biz fare to Europe and getting a GlobalFirst ticket to asia for free. That isn't a mistake fare that is just obviously a system error...especially since the proper miles were quoted until you actually "purchased" the ticket. No reasonable person should expect United to have to honor those tickets.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: UAL Premier Gold, HHonors Gold, B6 Mosaic
When I lived in the northern suburbs of Chicago twenty-ish years ago, we had a UAL ticket office in a strip mall a few minutes from my house. Back in the days before e-tickets took off, you could walk in, interact with a human being, and walk out with a valid ticket. Let's pretend that one of those human beings had started selling first class tix to HKG for 4 miles and $40 to one lucky individual, who went home, picked up the phone and called family and friends to alert them of the deal. Suddenly there's a line stretching out the door as the rogue agent continues to sell tickets for 4 miles, and this goes on for a few hours before a higher-up figures out what's going on and stops the deal.

Now substitute a computerized system for a human agent and you've got pretty much the same situation. UA would probably be expected to honor the tickets in the first scenario, right? So why wouldn't they be expected to do the same if a computer (or, more likely, a computer programmer) screws up? As has been pointed out, when the DOT changed the rules, they let United know. The airline obviously didn't take proper precautions, and when their lack of oversight came back to bite them in the behind, they cry foul.

It'll be an expensive mistake, but there's a silver lining to UA in all of this - getting your IT act together now pays dividends down the road. Who knows - had this one not happened, perhaps an even more expensive mistake would have come along in the future.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Except the DoT has discretion here and there is a huge difference between paying $1200 for a mistake biz fare to Europe and getting a GlobalFirst ticket to asia for free. That isn't a mistake fare that is just obviously a system error...especially since the proper miles were quoted until you actually "purchased" the ticket. No reasonable person should expect United to have to honor those tickets.
AZ honored their $39 YYZ-LCA C class tickets just fine.
is there a big difference between 39+ tax and 4 miles + tax?

What's the difference between an "error" and a "mistake"?

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by kokonutz
$21k from the East Coast US to HKG in UNITED GloblalF....

They sell it, and apparently some suckers buy it, UNITED takes their payment and smiles.

They sell it for 4 miles and they are the sucker suddenly UNITED is not smiling any more.
I doubt that people who can pay $21k for an airline ticket should be call "suckers". May be they should be just called reach?
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Rules are rules. The magnitude of the 'mistake' is irrelevant.

So no reasonable person should expect them to not honor those tickets.

And the count on thread goes up and up, up and up, aaaaaaallll through the town!

Originally Posted by al613
I doubt that people who can pay $21k for an airline ticket should be call "suckers". May be they should be just called reach?
Meh, for that kind of scratch they would HAVE to be a sucker to fly on UNITED metal. @:-)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 19, 2012 at 3:09 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA

The likely reason for the delay in responses from United.....

United/DOT have to investigate to find the cause of this mistaken airfare. If it was due to hacking into their system and changing the fare in China then a new can of worms applies to this which then nulifies DOT rules claiming they have to honor the fare. If its is demonstrated this was hacked then they can kill the reservations except for those who are in the middle of their travel (Thus so people arent abandoned).

I wouldnt be surprised if its an internal IT error they actually charge someone with the crime as a fallguy to then execute the legality of canceling tickets.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
I was both

Originally Posted by hobo13
Hahaha, good sport. Or chump like me who didn't realize it worked for STANDARD!
A chump for not realizing standard awards worked, and a good sport for only booking UA metal
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by janetdoe
Buy a fully refundable long-haul ticket. Purchase the 'Mileage Accelerator' offer for 2 cpm. Mileage Accelerator purchases credit immediately and are non-refundable. Then cancel your ticket. Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

People either
1) Don't know about the option
2) Feel it is unethical and/or likely to lead to an audit
3) Have a company that pays for the tickets with no fuss
4) Feel their time is more valuable than the time spent to buy and cancel dozens of tickets.
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy
Less flexibility, no earning ability, who cares if somebody else is footing the bill?
Originally Posted by Lack
You have to be a bit creative to use that option.
Plus award ticket won't get you any EQM.
Thanks.

If nothing else, this thread has been educational on a number of levels.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA - 1MM, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
What's the difference between an "error" and a "mistake"?
You said they were on notice for "mistake fares" which is something specific and there are lots of examples of what those are. This wasn't a mistake fare...this was united leaving the door unlocked and unattended allowing people to walk in and grab as many free tickets as they wanted.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sonomawine
A chump for not realizing standard awards worked, and a good sport for only booking UA metal
Saver on all UA metal.... you must be going on some unpopular dates!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.