Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How best to send complaints as 1K - Call or email 1kvoice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: GP plat, SPG plat

Like many of you, I've had my fair share of bad experiences with United this year. I don't really like complaining to the airline/hotel unless things are really bad, but they really screwed things up for me on my last trip.

I haven't filed a complaint since well before the merger. So my question is: is the best channel for me to file a complaint (with the aim of getting fair compensation) by emailing 1kvoice or by calling MP (1K desk, if they even have that anymore)?

Thanks!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by bouncingbug
Like many of you, I've had my fair share of bad experiences with United this year. I don't really like complaining to the airline/hotel unless things are really bad, but they really screwed things up for me on my last trip.

I haven't filed a complaint since well before the merger. So my question is: is the best channel for me to file a complaint (with the aim of getting fair compensation) by emailing 1kvoice or by calling MP (1K desk, if they even have that anymore)?

Thanks!
The 1kvoice email response time is better than it was in March, but still takes them up to a week to respond. Also it really depends on what type of negative experience you've had and what you are expecting to receive (if anything).

I've been in exchange with the 1kvoice email about a mileage posting issue and just add in that I continue to submit DOT complaints about other customer service issues I have faced.

In an interesting scenario yesterday I received an email from 1kvoice that was just a copy of my previous email and no content from them.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:44 pm

KRMorgan

I too am 1K and went through a United disaster after a flight from Seattle to Denver was cancelled, and then the rebooked flight the following day was cancelled as well, but what really bothered me was another 1K member came to the desk asking why he had not been upgraded on the third flight and he was told that he was too far down on the upgrade list and that all other upgraded passengers were 1K. It was an outright lie. I flew in first class next to one of the upgraded passengers and she was so thrilled to have been upgraded. She was not even a premier member of United. I was happy for her, but appalled that a United employee would so blatantly lie. How can I complain on behalf of another passenger, would United even care? Is lying a new passenger management technique? ljc
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by KRMorgan
I too am 1K and went through a United disaster after a flight from Seattle to Denver was cancelled, and then the rebooked flight the following day was cancelled as well, but what really bothered me was another 1K member came to the desk asking why he had not been upgraded on the third flight and he was told that he was too far down on the upgrade list and that all other upgraded passengers were 1K. It was an outright lie. I flew in first class next to one of the upgraded passengers and she was so thrilled to have been upgraded. She was not even a premier member of United. I was happy for her, but appalled that a United employee would so blatantly lie. How can I complain on behalf of another passenger, would United even care? Is lying a new passenger management technique? ljc
Welcome to FT!

Perhaps there is more info you know (but did not explain) regarding the general members who thrilled to have been upgraded:

1) Was the flight she was upgraded on her original flight?
2) Was she upgraded with miles?
3) Was she on a full fare?
4) Was she upgraded day of travel or months ago?
5) Was she a premier member of another *A carrier?

In answer to your question ... No, you should NOT complain on someone else's behalf.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 5:54 pm

Don't forget that you can file a complaint with the DOT and other posters have suggested this might be a more fruitful approach since CO is apparently required by law to respond to those.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by zrs70
Welcome to FT!

Perhaps there is more info you know (but did not explain) regarding the general members who thrilled to have been upgraded:

1) Was the flight she was upgraded on her original flight?
2) Was she upgraded with miles?
3) Was she on a full fare?
4) Was she upgraded day of travel or months ago?
5) Was she a premier member of another *A carrier?

In answer to your question ... No, you should NOT complain on someone else's behalf.
Excellent points. I would add a #6. Was she upgraded by a friend? Last week I upgraded a friend using a RPU with R availablity. She has no idea that I did it.

I've used the e-mail and CS with excellent sucess.

Last edited by Doug 1029; Aug 18, 2012 at 6:06 am Reason: add on
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Quick question. Do forms via the "contact us" on ual.com for 1k's get routed to 1kvoice, or is that a separate queue? I had thought that the 1kvoice email was deactivated around 3/3 so have just been using the form, with poor luck.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by Doug 1029
Excellent points. I would add a #6. Was she upgraded by a friend? Last week I upgraded a friend using a RPU with R availablity. She has no idea that I did it.
Doesn't matter. If UA said that every upgraded pax was 1K, and she wasn't 1K, a lie is a lie.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 6:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
OK, going back on topic...

To the OP: I always prefer to send complaints by email instead of phone. Having a written record is helpful in follow-ups if needed.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by burlax
Doesn't matter. If UA said that every upgraded pax was 1K, and she wasn't 1K, a lie is a lie.
Not so fast.... Perhaps the agent meant only those upgraded at the gate, not those upgraded previously.

Perhaps there were passengers rebooked onto that flight into full F (rather than as an upgrade).
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
if upgraded by a friend 1K, the passenger will show in the system as 1K and was upgraded based on 1K status.
One should be in full possession of the facts but using the "L" word.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Thumbs up

My last message to 1K voice was replied to, with the problem resolved,in one business day.

YMMV
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:36 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Here is something you should know, if you call...

When you call the 1K desk (now known as Premier Desk), first ask which office you reached. If it is Chicago, Honolulu, or Detroit, they will transfer you to a PMUA Customer Service representative in Chicago or Honolulu. If it is Tampa, Salt Lake, or Houston, you will get transferred to a PMCO Customer Service representative, wherever they are located.

I find the PMUA customer relations to be more understanding of 1K issues, since PMCO didn't have that level.

I imagine 1Kvoice could be handled by either.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
if upgraded by a friend 1K, the passenger will show in the system as 1K and was upgraded based on 1K status. One should be in full possession of the facts but using the "L" word.
Yeah, but "shows in the system as 1K due to upgrade by 1K" and "is 1k" are two different things, arent they? One should say what he mean and mean what he says.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Yeah, but "shows in the system as 1K due to upgrade by 1K" and "is 1k" are two different things, arent they? One should say what he mean and mean what he says.
If I book a mileage ticket for my nonstatus wife she is treated as a 1K for upgrade purposes (at the end of all other 1Ks) since I have the Chase credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.