Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

(Call Complete) I have a call w/ Martin Hand SVP Customer Experience this week.Topics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

(Call Complete) I have a call w/ Martin Hand SVP Customer Experience this week.Topics

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sxf24
From TIMOS's summary of the call with Martin Hand, it seem pretty clear that improving customer service and reliability is a huge focus. Regardless, it is clearly impossible for UA to deliver any message that will satisfy you.
If that's a focus, then talk about it in the video. 1. Acknowledge the issue. 2. Apologize for it. 3. Explain the efforts they're undertaking to get there.

That would be a fantastic video, not to mention humbling to Jeff's ego.

A strong dose of humility in the videos is the key to better acceptance.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
A big thanks to TIMOS for an excellent summation of the call.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Again, because you don't know about the plan you're saying it doesn't exist?
If there is a plan, the line employees apparently aren't aware of it. Don't you think that is an important group to be clued in?

If you stopped mocking the video and listened, you might hear a few corporate priorities mentioned.

"Bring two great carriers together"
"Use technology to make the travel experience easier for customers"
"Work together as a single airline should"
"Stay globally competitive"

If you want more detail, we'd need a much longer video...
That isn't a strategy, it's a bunch of marketing sound bites.

What corporate priorities would you communicate to customers in a 30 second video? Remember, we're talking about tactical improvements that happen overnight - everyone is demanding that UA share its long-term strategy and vision with its customers.
I wouldn't try to communicate corporate priorities in a 30 second sound bite.

Originally Posted by pdx1M
Aligning thousands of front line employees and related CS improvements will take some time. However, there are a bunch of simple, mechanical things that UA could do tomorrow that would make a tangible difference to elite flyers if they chose to but they are not. This is the dissonance that I hear/see in what Mr. Hand seems to have said. Simple example - fix checkin lines so that GS/1K/F don't have to wait behind Chase cardholders with Premier Access for 20 minutes to drop a bag. 0 cost, near 0 time to implement, no action. There are a lot of these things that would signal immediately an intent to improve things. Doing a few of them and communicating that theses are first steps toward turning things around would make a strong message. But these things aren't happening. So while I understand that you think everything is ok and getting better, I at least, would like to see some actual change as a proof point. Given some such changes I'd be willing to suspend my disbelief and give them time to get the rest of their act together.

And as to your issue about having an articulated plan. I worked for a company for many years not in the service business who at various time had customers tell us we were arrogant and hard to deal with. Our response was to initiate tangible (as in bonus payout impacting) measurement plans that hit everyone in their pocketbook and C-suite folks doubly. The surveys that drove the result were simple, published, and not open to "interpretation" by C-suite folks to manipulate payout. In the course of a bit over a year you can bet that the results of those surveys turned around 180 degrees and customers started calling us a vendor of choice. These things can be done - but they cannot be done "in secret". You have to make your employees and even your customers aware that you want to improve matters and that you will hold people accountable for change.
^^ to all the text in bold. IIRC, in another thread several months ago, Mr. Hand was quoted in regard to the issue of taking meal orders in F and C to the effect that once you are in F or C, the experience for all passengers needs to be the same. While that is a wonderful egalitarian response, it has resulted in United's best customers wondering just what their loyalty is worth to the airline. Every 1K I know who traveled in the first 60 days post 3/3 has a similar story about waiting in line to drop off a bag, waiting in line to board the plane behind dozens of "premier" customers, and getting what's left of the catering menu by the time the purser gets to them.

Things have gotten better since 3/3, but they aren't where they need to be.

Last edited by halls120; Jul 14, 2012 at 10:51 am
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Re communication with front line employees, it's been bad for quite some time. My soap box is upgrading award tickets. CO folks both over the phone and at the airport swore up and down you could not get an upgrade on award ticket. I was told I was wrong, called a liar, and then told that the CO website was wrong. There are still many people who just don't know about it. But there are a LOT of intricacies in both legacy programs, and now the merged one has exposed agents lack of knowledge of every program. I don't know what the silver bullet to this is, there's only so much people can remember, especially when getting beaten over the head with reducing call times.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
That is assuming that Chase doesn't have some clause in their agreement with UA to give them equal access in exchage for $$. I'm kinda thinking they do. So most likely, the cost is huge, as (again, just guessing) that is part of a very valuable contract with Chase.
Its pretty clear given that they still have the GS/Int'l F line that they are able to have a higher priority line.

United needs to DO (take corrective action), not talk. They talked about "best of both worlds" but in reality, they just assimilated United down to the lowest common denominator and tried to turn all of UA's employees into RAH RAH drones
Old Jul 14, 2012, 11:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pdx1M
Aligning thousands of front line employees and related CS improvements will take some time. However, there are a bunch of simple, mechanical things that UA could do tomorrow that would make a tangible difference to elite flyers if they chose to but they are not. This is the dissonance that I hear/see in what Mr. Hand seems to have said. Simple example - fix checkin lines so that GS/1K/F don't have to wait behind Chase cardholders with Premier Access for 20 minutes to drop a bag. 0 cost, near 0 time to implement, no action. There are a lot of these things that would signal immediately an intent to improve things. Doing a few of them and communicating that theses are first steps toward turning things around would make a strong message. But these things aren't happening. So while I understand that you think everything is ok and getting better, I at least, would like to see some actual change as a proof point. Given some such changes I'd be willing to suspend my disbelief and give them time to get the rest of their act together.
Let's be clear: While operations are clearly getting better, I don't think everything is ok and I've never said as much. I also agree that there are small changes that can make a tangible difference in the service culture of the company and/or the perception of customers.

Originally Posted by channa
If that's a focus, then talk about it in the video. 1. Acknowledge the issue. 2. Apologize for it. 3. Explain the efforts they're undertaking to get there.

That would be a fantastic video, not to mention humbling to Jeff's ego.

A strong dose of humility in the videos is the key to better acceptance.
I think you are only interested in seeing Jeff humiliated and/or humbled. No point in having a discussion when you will never be satisfied.

Originally Posted by halls120
If there is a plan, the line employees apparently aren't aware of it. Don't you think that is an important group to be clued in?
Do we know that the front line employees aren't aware of a plan?

That isn't a strategy, it's a bunch of marketing sound bites.
Isn't that the purpose of marketing sound bites: to communicate larger, more complex concepts as succinctly and directly as possible?

I wouldn't try to communicate corporate priorities in a 30 second sound bite.
I wouldn't either; channa was the one that brought it up.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:12 pm

Those that I've talked to in person about it can't tell me what it is, and I don't see most of the employees posting on FT extolling the existence or the virtues of the plan.

Isn't that the purpose of marketing sound bites: to communicate larger, more complex concepts as succinctly and directly as possible?
If there is an overarching plan, and the sound bites are part of and support that plan, yes. The points you cited don't tell a story, don't lead one to United's overall philosophy, and are just empty phrases, IMHO.

"Bring two great carriers together" isn't a philosophy, it's a desired outcome.

"Use technology to make the travel experience easier for customers" would be nice if it was linked to something United was doing to actually make the travel experience easier.

"Work together as a single airline should" - is another outcome, and sets the bar pretty low. Sort of like "we won't be like US, running 2 separate airlines under one brand name."

"Stay globally competitive" - again, this communicates a pretty low target of achievement. Why not strive to be a global leader?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you are only interested in seeing Jeff humiliated and/or humbled. No point in having a discussion when you will never be satisfied.
Disagree. I think that admitting mistakes and then working towards a solution is not humiliating at all. Customers and co-workers alike would show increased respect towards the man. I certainly would. People make mistakes, it's certainly forgivable. I think they can get out of this if the do the right things and quickly. I think many hope they do. Look, I'm a MM and 1K and live in one of their hubs. I don't like seeing UA and CO regressing to the meatball days of Frank Lorenzo.

Either way, it's not clear from the Mr. Hand discussion that they fully understand the damage they've done.

The CEO message on the plane is extremely significant because it sets the tone for both customers and co-workers. If the message is we messed up, but we're trying real hard to fix it, that sets a very different tone for everyone -- customers can hope and look out for changes (and it buys patience), while employees can feel free to admit things aren't perfect. Right now, the message is that things are great, which is not true (and it adds fuel to the fire). It's very difficult for employees to align with that given the reliability issues, product and system downgrades, and the new less-than-open CO-style culture where many have said that raising concerns or suggesting improvements is difficult and/or frowned upon.

I actually had originally hoped (and had posted on FT to the effect) that when Jeff took over the helm at CO, he could do something to improve the culture of the organization, which was, IMO, one of CO's biggest fundamental challenges preventing improvement (you can't improve if you think you do everything better). I saw him as a change agent and had sincerely hoped there would be some substance behind his messages, much like there was when Gordon said them.

Unfortunately his talk proved hollow, and he's now adversely impact two (2) airlines and detracted from both CO's and UA's former strengths, creating the mess we see today, all under the guise of changes he thinks we'll like.

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by TIMOS
I said youre aware of the issues, the challenges you have. The things driving away your best customers and the status match from AA that I and thousands of others have accepted. What can you tell me is changing in the future to win people like me back. He responded that merging two workforces was / is a huge task and that UA staff almost became new hires on 3/3 and it was an incredibly difficult transition for them. He mentioned Check It new software that will make transactions easier and faster for staff at airports, and more new software coming in October. He said United has 88,000 employees and 6000 flights a day. He said perhaps what happened which is unfortunate is that overwhelmed staff took things out on the customer. He admits that they didnt do a good enough job with soft skills training teaching staff how to deal with customers. And he is hearing it consistently from customers: its not the what, but the how as in, how United staff deal with customers.

I said that a lot of the customer experience stuff, smiling, being welcoming, call centre staff etc is free and doesnt cost them a thing. He agreed. I said I feel sad that the airline I loved is a shadow of its former self.
Two hypotheses here:
  1. United hired gate agents and customer service representatives who were wonderful people, loved being helpful, were always happy to rebook you rapidly during irregular operations however people needed, and had plenty of time for everyone. Continental hired people who were the polar opposite. The only difference in the two airlines' customer service experiences was driven by the people.
  2. Everyone hired by United and Continental is basically a good person and wants to do a good job. Continental employees bumping up the inadequacies of SHARES technology often hit roadblocks which forced them to make things up like "sorry, our policy doesn't let you do that" when they actually meant "sorry, we can't figure out how to do that."

Post 3/3 we have gotten plenty of evidence to disprove #1. This is a technology problem, not a social problem.

Programs: UA lifetime gold, 1.8MM; Marriott lifetime Titanium

Considering pilots, ga's, fa's, 'premier line' folks in detroit and salt lake, and UC employees I know and have asked have told me that there is no coherent plan for the unmitigated disaster that this merger has been for pmUA flyers, I would contend that it is clear front line employees aren't aware of whatever plan you seem to think is in place.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Those that I've talked to in person about it can't tell me what it is, and I don't see most of the employees posting on FT extolling the existence or the virtues of the plan.
If you're not confident in the strategic direction of the airline and feel that there is no "plan," by all means, take your business elsewhere.

If there is an overarching plan, and the sound bites are part of and support that plan, yes. The points you cited don't tell a story, don't lead one to United's overall philosophy, and are just empty phrases, IMHO.

"Bring two great carriers together" isn't a philosophy, it's a desired outcome.

"Use technology to make the travel experience easier for customers" would be nice if it was linked to something United was doing to actually make the travel experience easier.

"Work together as a single airline should" - is another outcome, and sets the bar pretty low. Sort of like "we won't be like US, running 2 separate airlines under one brand name."

"Stay globally competitive" - again, this communicates a pretty low target of achievement. Why not strive to be a global leader?
I don't think it's fair to draw a conclusion based on a handful of isolated quotes I picked from a welcome video. That said, at this point in the merger, there is still a greater focus on tactical changes. If you're not happy with that, leave.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're not confident in the strategic direction of the airline and feel that there is no "plan," by all means, take your business elsewhere.
It seems many people have.

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Everyone hired by United and Continental is basically a good person and wants to do a good job. Continental employees bumping up the inadequacies of SHARES technology often hit roadblocks which forced them to make things up like "sorry, our policy doesn't let you do that" when they actually meant "sorry, we can't figure out how to do that."

Post 3/3 we have gotten plenty of evidence to disprove #1. This is a technology problem, not a social problem.
Well said.

It's not clear from the Mr. Hand discussion that they understand the impact of the system choice on their ability to provide good customer service to customers.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:34 pm

I don't think it's fair to draw a conclusion based on a handful of isolated quotes I picked from a welcome video. That said, at this point in the merger, there is still a greater focus on tactical changes. If you're not happy with that, leave.
You're the one who offered those quotes, not me.

I will - and have - continued to fly UA when it makes sense. When it doesn't, I won't. For example, I booked an IAD-SFO flight the other day. I checked out all the competition, and UA offered me the best value and I was able to secure F for a very good price. We're going to Prince Edward Island in September, and UA has the most convenient schedule and competitive fares, so I booked UA.

On the other hand, I have flights to MEX and LIM coming up, and AA beats UA on the fare and the equipment, so I'll likely go there. Same for upcoming flights to LFW and DKR. I'd like to fly UA to the extent I can on those flights, but it's going to depend on fare and UG possibility.

Before the merger, I would have paid more to fly UA on the MEX, LIM, LFW and DKR flights, because I wanted to reach 1MM. Now, while I may eventually reach 1MM, it is no longer the goal it used to be.

Last edited by halls120; Jul 14, 2012 at 12:42 pm
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:38 pm
Suspended

I will - and have - continued to fly UA when it makes sense. When it doesn't, I won't.
I don't think UA or a reasonable person would expect anything else.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:35 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
I asked that question to fastair and SFOfastair a couple weeks ago on another thread and they did not respond. Could have been they didn't see the post. So let's ask them.

Do they know and have they been communicated with from above as to what the "initiatives" are to bring this all together?

There has to be at least 3-5 key measures assigned to each of Smi/J's cliches from his video, the employees are aware of that need to be done, or guess what, they won't happen.

I happen to know from my questioning employees on my trips, they are not aware of any. In fact, on recent trip I was sitting next to an MD in F, which I believe is a position pretty high up on the Org Chart, and their comment to me was, "communication from above is lacking". So if information is not getting to that level, I can only imagine its not getting to the customer facing employees.

I'll say this again, this is a very good example why a Mission Statement, Values and Vision are published for all employees and all customers to be aware of. Everyone then pulls on the same end of the rope instead of trying to push on a string, which is what's happening.

I could be proven wrong, but I'm not aware of a Fortune 500 Company that doesn't have these 2 or 3 documents published and for everyone to see. Has Smi/J put these together for UA? I haven't seen them. Anyone?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.