Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 12, 2014, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA has a program called Premier Status Accelerator.
Premier Accelerator
Premier Accelerator℠ helps you achieve Premier® status faster by allowing you to purchase additional Premier qualifying points (PQP) or Premier qualifying flights (PQF). Premier Accelerator is available when purchased in combination with Award Accelerator.
Summary -- for those with a purchased itinerary, you will be given the opportunity to purchase RDMs and then optionally, a similar number of PQMs PQPs. You are given two quantities to purchase (in the past it was X and 2X, but it has become more variable recently).. The numbers seem to have some relationship to the length of the existing itin.
The offer, for a purchased flight, will be found in your online reservation, It may say " Grow your award miles balance by purchasing Award Accelerator®. "
You will have to select the Award Accelerator in all cases, if you want Premier Accelerator also, then select it next.
The purchased miles post quickly -- generally less than an hour or two.
Purchase price does not count for PQDs PQPs
The offer will be available once ticketed and then until the itin is completely flown. The mileage offered decreases as segments are flown.
The cpm rate can change at any time -- up or down. See the thread on Rates.

Don't have an open itinerary? Just "purchase" dummy itin as refundable or non-refundable. After purchasing the RDMs/PQMs (must select the RDM offer to see the PQM PQP offer and must purchase the RDMs to purchase PQMs PQPs), cancel the dummy itin (if non-refundable do within the fee-free 24-hour cancellation window). The purchased RDMs/PQMs PQPs are non-cancelable / non-refundable and will stay purchased even if the dummy itin is canceled.
As before there will be two offers, if the offer is too many miles try a shorter itin, even a OneWay -- say SFO-LAX. There does seem to be a min offer level but it varies for the individual. You don't need to purchase to see the options, they will be displayed on the "United Travel Options" page, the page before you enter your credit card info,

Attempt to change the offer amount
-- try an international itin (seems to increase the offer)
-- try an international with a partner (seems to increase the offer)
-- try an OW itin (seems to decrease the offer)
-- try a short sub-500 segment (seems to decrease the offer)
-- try itins with a higher or lower price (offers seems to track relative price)
In practice, there is no close form method to get a specific amount. UA has your information.

Related thread -
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2022]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2021]

United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2020]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2019]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2018]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2017]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2016]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2015]
United Airlines Award/Premier Accelerator Rates [2014]

Print Wikipost

Consolidated Award / Premier Accelerator questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
On IAH>SAN I was offered 9000 for $1215

On IAH>MSY I was offered 4000 for 500 and 2000 for 250, so you could get 10000 for $1050 if you did it 3 times and got the same offer.

As someone mentioned upthread offers are specific to your status (though my experience is higher status = more expensive offers). I believe there is a fall fare sale ending (possibly today?) you might want to try to find some of those $60-80 fares and do this today before that ends.
Wow, thanks..thats the kind of feedback I was hoping for.
Just curious, but since I was going to cancel any trip that i booked for this specific purpose, do i need to worry about cheap fares????

Thanks for the feedback!
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:28 pm

As mentioned the route does not influence your current rate offer which for now is 12.5 CPM,any route you buy will be 12.5 CPM unless they change your offer in general. All the route does is influence the amount of miles offered. A shorter route might offer 6000 or 9000 but at the same ratio.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by stambo
Thats the problem, I don't have the time...unfortunately. I know it would be cheaper to take an actual flight an earn the PQMs that way but won't be able to do that this year. I know its going to be more expensive this way, just wondering if anyone know of a cheaper route to net the PQMs than the one I have found.

Thank!
Sorry to hear that you don’t want to actually make the flight.
Personally as a 1K I’d rather go somewhere for the experience that just buy the miles. There are many EWR-TYO dates of 2-many days for under .9K usd.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by drew in the air
As mentioned the route does not influence your current rate offer which for now is 12.5 CPM,any route you buy will be 12.5 CPM unless they change your offer in general. All the route does is influence the amount of miles offered. A shorter route might offer 6000 or 9000 but at the same ratio.
This is demonstrably untrue. Even for the same MP member at the same time, you can easily get different CPM offers for PQM on different itineraries. For example, just checking three of my existing itineraries right now, I am offered 20.5 CPM on a transcon (for 10,000 PQM), 12.5 CPM on NYC-Florida (for 11,000 PQM), and 10.0 CPM on a transpac (for 25,000 PQM).
Old Nov 10, 2017, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by physioprof
This is demonstrably untrue. Even for the same MP member at the same time, you can easily get different CPM offers for PQM on different itineraries. For example, just checking three of my existing itineraries right now, I am offered 20.5 CPM on a transcon (for 10,000 PQM), 12.5 CPM on NYC-Florida (for 11,000 PQM), and 10.0 CPM on a transpac (for 25,000 PQM).
Interesting. It has always been the same for me across multiple reservations for me, wife, and traveling coworkers. And it has always changed together for me.
Old Nov 10, 2017, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by drew in the air
Interesting. It has always been the same for me across multiple reservations for me, wife, and traveling coworkers. And it has always changed together for me.
I have looked at the award accelerator and PQM accelerator offers for me and wife over the last couple years (we are Gold & Silver). All PQM offers have been for either $0.12 or $0.125 per PQM. Number of miles offered varies according to the length of the associated itinerary, usually get 2 offers at ~2-3x the itinerary in BIS miles. Examples: ORD-SAT gets offers of 9k and 11k miles; ORD-LIH gets 20k and 30k.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: UA GS
PQM buy-up?

Current GS (and re-qual GS for 2018). I will end the year at approx. 195k PQM. I am moving to Hong Kong from the US in a few weeks. A few questions:

(1) Is it worth purchasing 5k miles in the premier accelerator feature to get 200k mi? My only motivation would be to receive the 2 additional GPUs; I could use those 2 GPUs for what I anticipate to be frequent personal TPAC travel between HKG and US during 2018. Any idea of the cost?

(2) I'm currently on TATL travel. I've gone online to see what the accelerator offer is for the return portion of my current trip but it doesn't appear as an option. Is the accelerator not available once the trip has started?

FWIW, if I had to, I could move my US-HKG trip up to 12/31 to obtain the PQM, but I'd rather push it off to early January if at all possible.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The value of the GPUs to you is a personal calculation. What fare classes would you normally buy? What's the co-pay if you upgrade with miles? Can you even use the 8 you already have / is there a risk that the two extras go unused? All these factor in to the equation. It's then simple to compare against the cost of the accelerator.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
You need to click on the Mileage accelerator, after you do that, you will see the option for PQM accelerator.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lex04
Current GS (and re-qual GS for 2018). I will end the year at approx. 195k PQM. I am moving to Hong Kong from the US in a few weeks. A few questions:

(1) Is it worth purchasing 5k miles in the premier accelerator feature to get 200k mi? My only motivation would be to receive the 2 additional GPUs; I could use those 2 GPUs for what I anticipate to be frequent personal TPAC travel between HKG and US during 2018. Any idea of the cost?

(2) I'm currently on TATL travel. I've gone online to see what the accelerator offer is for the return portion of my current trip but it doesn't appear as an option. Is the accelerator not available once the trip has started?

FWIW, if I had to, I could move my US-HKG trip up to 12/31 to obtain the PQM, but I'd rather push it off to early January if at all possible.
Accelerator should be possible on a current trip. The number of miles offered is generally around 50% of the amount that was offered ahead of time.

Is a 5K PQM mileage run an option? It'll typically be cheaper than what Accelerator will offer you, especially in December, and especially when approaching a threshold. The very best Accelerator rates are typically in the $0.10/mi range all-in, but $0.25/mi isn't uncommon this time of year.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by lex04
Current GS (and re-qual GS for 2018)
Accelerator is available until you commence return travel (or if you commence travel in the case of one-way).

My Trips->Manage->Recommended Add-ons->Get Extra Miles
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
If you are unable to purchase the miles you need, or they are offering more miles than you need, book a very short trip. Then select the purchase miles, adding the PQM option, and purchase. That will be immediate. Then cancel the trip you booked. FT taught me that one year when I wanted some PQMs.

Did a MR yesterday as after my next trip was going to be a few thousand miles short of 150k PQMs. Have been able to use all my GPUs this year so extra two are attractive. Although, at the beginning of the year very few stuck.

As others commented, mileage runs cost less than buying the PQMs, but you need the time.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:35 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I need only 43 PQM's to pick up another 2 RPU's. I managed to use all my RPU's this year and I expect to next year, too. So far, on dummy bookings, I can't find anything cheaper than $270. That includes the required RDM minimum purchase of 2,000 miles for $50, plus $220 for the PQM's. My remaining travel this year is on award tickets, but the PQM accelerator offer there is worse.

Anyone find any less expensive offers for fewer PQM's?
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
I'd just like to add a data point to the discussion of Accelerator. The general consensus seems to be that this option increases in cost as the year progresses - and that December is all but a lost cause. I recently (in Dec) made a purchase of 6k miles @ 13.5cpm, which was about 2k more than I would've needed for Plat - but I erroneously thought that I was about to board my last flight of the year, so I bit. I have now taken two unanticipated trips on UA in late Dec, and was recently offered 4k miles for ~$500. Of course it's possible that I would not have received such a favorable offer if I wasn't already over the Plat threshold, but it's impossible to know one way or another.

At this point I would've cleared Plat outright even on straight-up economy/100% pqm - you're welcome, UA.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
I have now taken two unanticipated trips on UA in late Dec, and was recently offered 4k miles for ~$500. Of course it's possible that I would not have received such a favorable offer if I wasn't already over the Plat threshold, but it's impossible to know one way or another.
I'm a lowly silver and just checked the offer on my final (award travel) flight of the year - $575 for 5000 pqm, so it does look like they're cheaper than last year. It's only a few cpm more than they were offering in early November when I was trying to figure out the cheapest way to get the 70 miles I was going to need to make silver for the year. I ended up booking some travel on UA that I would otherwise have done on AS and then booking my holiday travel in paid F outbound for the miles and award travel home, to end up about 80 miles over 25K.
CCIE_Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.