Wiki Posts
Search

Aircraft swap, no meals for 4 of us

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 6:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Aircraft swap, no meals for 4 of us

Domestic flight, 12 hours before ETD, aircraft swap to a 20-seat rather than 16 seat F cabin. Told by FA (kinda loudly, which was a bit humiliating) when she was making the rounds that "because you were upgraded, I don't have any food for you". No nuts, nada.

Should she have offered me a snack box on a comp basis at least? In the UA days, I never had a UA FA say no to getting me a snack box rather than serve me a hot F meal. What's the COdbaUA rule on this? This was a CO crew operating the flight.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Should have DEFINITELY offered you BOB, but not surprising that they didn't

Did they get you an appreciation voucher at least?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Domestic flight, 12 hours before ETD, aircraft swap to a 20-seat rather than 16 seat F cabin. Told by FA (kinda loudly, which was a bit humiliating) when she was making the rounds that "because you were upgraded, I don't have any food for you". No nuts, nada.

Should she have offered me a snack box on a comp basis at least? In the UA days, I never had a UA FA say no to getting me a snack box rather than serve me a hot F meal. What's the COdbaUA rule on this? This was a CO crew operating the flight.
You are clearly an over-entitled elite!

We know you have a choice of airlines, and the one you chose sucks!
Old Jun 16, 2012, 6:55 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Starwood Platinum
typical. FAs ESPECIALLY seem to think upgrades are just niceties rather than advertised and earned perks...

i assume they weren't a CO flt as they would have announced they were a proud CO flt crew if they were..

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 16, 2012 at 7:14 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
And this FA assumes all 16 of the folks from the previous plane are going to say yes to the meal which is usually not the case, especially if it's a red-eye...I actually got offerred seconds on a PDX-EWR red-eye because so many people passed....and just so you know, I passed on the second burrito
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Curious as to where you and the other 3 'upgraders' were seated?

So the other 16 were on paid F? Does ToD get included in that?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat

Maybe if you had told her you paid $19 for that upgrade, you would have gotten more respect?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE

Were you sitting in the back of the cabin (and thereby enjoying the COdbaUA meal order)?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 9:23 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I had this happen on ORD-LAX a few weeks ago...(No A/C change, catering just mis-loaded).

FA announced to the whole F cabin before meal-taking, "We are 5 meals short...If anyone wouldn't mind a snack box or fresh choice from Y, please let us know..."

Since I was in Row 2, and was already tired of the offerings, I took them up on it...Enjoyed my Tapas box and even weaseled a box of M&M's on top of the snack box.

This was a PMCO A/C. Was surprised by the way it was handled--what the OP experienced sounds more like PMCO. I'll give credit where credit is due (for my flight)...They handled it quite well.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist

Yes, you should have been offered a snackbox. Typical PMCO attitude.

Originally Posted by jacroweORD
typical. FAs ESPECIALLY seem to think upgrades are just niceties rather than advertised and earned perks...

i assume they weren't a CO flt as they would have announced they were a proud CO flt crew if they were..

With 20 first class seats, we know it's a CO 737, as no UA aircraft have 20 in first class.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 10:04 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by NiceLanding
Maybe if you had told her you paid $19 for that upgrade, you would have gotten more respect?
Ha! ^
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:52 pm

Should she have offered me a snack box on a comp basis at least?
If you were hungry why didn't you ask the f/a for a snack box?
If there was a cost involved then I guess it was your decision to pay or not to pay, but I agree it should have been offered. As far as stating loudly that you were upgraded, it's almost a given that most of the people scarfing down that poor excuse for nourishment, sitting in your cabin, didn't pay full fare, either.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:42 am

Programs: UAL 1K 1.3MM till 1/31/2015 Bye Smissek, Delta Plat. Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres. Circle
Wow where to begin. 12 hours is insufficient for United to bother adjusting catering for a 4 seat increase? The FA response is aligned with Smissek's strategy to focus on rev per flight versus rev per passenger per year. This kind of incident, if it happened to me, would be the trigger I needed to stop flying United immediately and switch to a carrier that appreciated the $30k - $50k I pay each year. When was the last time a United employee personally thanked you for your business? I bet you it was prior to 3/3. Another reason why I would never pay to fly domestic First on United. Disgusting and also an insult to the remaining FAs trying to provide good customer service to loyal customers despite current Continental management strategy.

And, United's inability to do something as simple as re-arranging catering, something that other airlines do all the time, makes me wonder what other activities are falling through the cracks. Two weeks ago, I was on a flight that went MX due to an airconditioning filter that would have reached end of life midway through our flight. United had already boarded the 757 when the captain detected the issue. We waited on board for 40 minutes past scheduled depature time forthe filter to arrive at the gate and another 10 minutes to install the filter. This, after the plane had sat at the gate for 60 minutes prior to boarding, when any other airline would have replaced the filter prior to the flight so as not to inconvenience customers. The Cockroach theory applies to airline operations as well as to investing!

Last edited by HitAndRun; Jun 17, 2012 at 1:26 am
Old Jun 17, 2012, 12:53 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by LilAbner
If you were hungry why didn't you ask the f/a for a snack box?
If I'm on SFO-ORD and I want to get to ORD (which I usually want to do when I'm on that flight) should I ask the pilot to fly me to ORD?

I'm sure all airlines have their catering problems but on my 2 hour DL flights in F lately I get offered a meal and the FA comes around with the snack basket later on in the flight.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time because I do agree with you that personal responsibility is lacking in today's day and age. Just trying to keep the burden in this case on where it is due. And that is on the service provider.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Beerman92
If I'm on SFO-ORD and I want to get to ORD (which I usually want to do when I'm on that flight) should I ask the pilot to fly me to ORD?

I'm sure all airlines have their catering problems but on my 2 hour DL flights in F lately I get offered a meal and the FA comes around with the snack basket later on in the flight.

I'm not trying to give you a hard time because I do agree with you that personal responsibility is lacking in today's day and age.
Just trying to keep the burden in this case on where it is due. And that is on the service provider.
I'm through having nearly every post scrutinized also!
All I asked the OP was whether he asked the flight attendant for some food if he was hungry. I mean seriously, why sit there somewhat pissed because you didn't get served anything and then run to FT and bit-h about it. Certainly UA should have boarded enough meals for ALL FC passengers, and I agree this airline has gone to pot lately, but transferring the blame from catering to a poster that asked a simple question, bypassing the OP, after I asked a simple question of him does not make me nor everyone on here a die hard lover of this airline that is providing crap service, either.

Again BEERMAN92 all I asked the OP was did he think to ask for food, and I didn't ask if he thought a person from SFO-ORD should ask the pilot if he would fly him there just because he happened to board that particular flight.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 17, 2012 at 11:02 pm Reason: unnecessary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.