Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1K/GS Leaving is Working - Upgrades Getting Easier?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Talking 1K/GS Leaving is Working - Upgrades Getting Easier?

I am 1K but I am too cheap to pay high fares (for even company travels). So, I tend to book early and get lower fare classes (S or T, with rare W/V or H). The upgrades weren't clearning as quickly the last few months. I even did not get upgraded for some flights.

Now it seems to be getting easier. Out of 4 upgradable segments this week and next week, 3 cleared at 96 hours and 1 cleared at 72.

Maybe it is a summer thing? Or, they are releasing the seats more generously now they have better IM/YM data? Or, the real heavy travellers leaving is already starting to make a difference?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
Originally Posted by username
I am 1K but I am too cheap to pay high fares (for even company travels). So, I tend to book early and get lower fare classes (S or T, with rare W/V or H). The upgrades weren't clearning as quickly the last few months. I even did not get upgraded for some flights.

Now it seems to be getting easier. Out of 4 upgradable segments this week and next week, 3 cleared at 96 hours and 1 cleared at 72.

Maybe it is a summer thing? Or, they are releasing the seats more generously now they have better IM/YM data? Or, the real heavy travellers leaving is already starting to make a difference?
What is your routing and dates?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

17 GS in Y on my IAD-SFO last week. Or so the GA said to the poor slob who loudly complained that he was #17 on the list and a GS.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pigx5
What is your routing and dates?
I don't like to post specifics but it is not hub-to-hub.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:26 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Starwood Platinum
not seeing it here and i am usually Q or above. even RPUs seem to be rare..did see in another thread that 2 other FTers were on same flt as me on Thursday and they bought upgrades for $109...no offer here.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:26 pm

because if it is Sat or Tue and Wed, the upgrade is easier.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

because if it is Sat or Tue and Wed, the upgrade is easier.
It was Friday, Friday, Sunday, Sunday.

Yesterday, one flight had only 16 people on the F WL (about 10 cleared? - was a 739 with 20 seats in F). The strange thing was that there was an empty seat and the gate agent pulled up a guy in AA FA uniform to sit in F.

Tomorrow, both are mid con 2 hour flights. I cleared the first one on Wednesday and 2nd one on Thursday.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:34 pm

It was Friday, Friday, Sunday, Sunday.

Yesterday, one flight had only 16 people on the F WL (about 10 cleared? - was a 739 with 20 seats in F). The strange thing was that there was an empty seat and the gate agent pulled up a guy in AA FA uniform to sit in F.

Tomorrow, both are mid con 2 hour flights. I cleared the first one on Wednesday and 2nd one on Thursday.
It sounds great but unfortunately my last booking on UA this year has already been upgraded and I won't be able to feel about this and I don't want to book on UA as well.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It sounds great but unfortunately my last booking on UA this year has already been upgraded and I won't be able to feel about this and I don't want to book on UA as well.
Thank you
Old Jun 16, 2012, 5:05 pm

Thank you
Enjoy your upgrade.

It seems good for now but WINTER IS COMING.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 6:09 pm

Any ideas on SFO/LAX-HNL complimentary upgrades on a 767? Is using a regional upgrade worth it on a lunchtime flight in August?? Or should I just take chances on the UDU which looks like far from in-between nowadays even for 1K's?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:27 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Why not? Seems like this info would only help the analysis of the situation. Why mask it?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Most 1k's & GS I know personally have moved to AA or Delta at least for the summer. IROP's and customer service rudeness is mentioned most often. They want pleasant service and buy lots of F. Roughly, half are from CO living in IAH, the others in DEN UA flyers, yet they agree UA has lost the striving for excellence standard.

On a positive note....At UA in FAI .....they have all new people with no experience w/ UA or CO. How refreshing! They all know the computer, they smile, and are a breath of fresh air. I also watched them interact with each other; they work as a team. True, it is not a busy hub, think it is seasonal, yet what a start....Hats off to the trainers and the new employees.

Upgrades are not as plentiful this year for me...I had a record of 4 years getting upgraded. It is no more....though all my west coast to Hawaii have come through...DEN to LAX & SFO have not.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond

It's all in where you fly. I have missed exactly one upgrade since 3/3 as a Plat. I never have to fly hub to hub and I suppose that is the big difference. (And I do fly to some busy airports like DCA, LGA, PHL, etc.)
Old Jun 16, 2012, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by jasp25
Any ideas on SFO/LAX-HNL complimentary upgrades on a 767? Is using a regional upgrade worth it on a lunchtime flight in August?? Or should I just take chances on the UDU which looks like far from in-between nowadays even for 1K's?
If it's at all important to you, use the RPU but make sure the upgrade is available at time of ticketing. Otherwise, you're still running a big risk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.