Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Participating merchants for United Meal voucher

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

I was handed a meal voucher at IND. I was not getting a clear answer from the agents so thought of asking the experts here.

1. How do I know which merchants are participating? I couldn't find any list/ hints anywhere on united.com.
2. Do I have to use the voucher at the airports? If yes, does it have to be at the airport where the voucher was issued (IND) or can it be at any airport anywhere?

I apologize if this has been answered before. Couldn't find anything.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 3:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

My experience is that these vouchers are only valid at the airport merchants where issued.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Walk up to an airport vendor and ask "do you accept these?" In general, most places within the same terminals that United operates at will accept them - but always ask first.

In theory they are for use at the same airport, but in my experience they will work at other airports as well - although that's probably more because they didn't actually look at it close enough.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
My experience is that these vouchers are only valid at the airport merchants where issued.
That is definitely NOT my experience.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hobo13
That is definitely NOT my experience.
So, I can safely use it at IAD? Say at California Tortilla?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by cleome
1. They are only valid at the station where issued.

2. But, nobody looks at that, so they get accepted at almost any UA station.

90% shot your voucher is accepted.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cleome
If in doubt, show it to the server ahead of time and ask..... play dumb, like you really don't know where it is valid. Don't just say, I got this at XXX, but I can use it here!

I've never actually read (or seen) the rules that say it's only valid where it's issued -- I've just never had a problem using them elsewhere. And it makes sense to me that they would work that way.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:42 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
What's a meal voucher?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Beerman92
What's a meal voucher?
That's how I feel about the "Skykits" everyone talks about
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:31 pm

Programs: *AG, Choice Privileges Elite Diamond, SPG Gold, La Quinta Returns Gold, Wyndham Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by Beerman92
What's a meal voucher?
You use it to buy this thing called food. I don't know what that is. It has certainly not been served on any UA flight in C I have flown lately.

Of course, that doesn't matter, since us humans can all survive by photosynthesis.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by sbm12
This has not been my experience. I have used them several times at a different airport (my next stop). So long as you're within the validity window, they shouldn't care.

Also, many hotels will take the food vouchers if they have a restaurant.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 11:51 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by channa
This has not been my experience. I have used them several times at a different airport (my next stop). So long as you're within the validity window, they shouldn't care.

Also, many hotels will take the food vouchers if they have a restaurant.
I have used it at different airports too. Sometimes even a day or so past the expiry date (if you are delayed overnight the night voucher could be too late as the decent restaurants close by 9:00PM). As others have suggested, ask the person at the cash counter if they will accept it before you order the food. Do not confuse matters by explaining issuing airport, expiry date; just ask if they take the voucher. Most of them accept it unless it is some uppity branded ones which clearly state near the cash counter that they do not accept any airline voucher.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 1:31 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I also have had no problem using them at my next airport. I do always tell the server/counter person right away "I'm going to be using a meal voucher" so they know. Just remember you can't get change from them.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:37 pm

As I mentioned in another thread they seem to be just a credit card no with the known three first digits starred out so it should be relatively easy for any merchant to accept them.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 8:21 pm

How long after you receive these can you use them. The gate agent said 24 hours, but what about 3-4 days later in the same airport? I didn't use one of my vouchers and am wondering if I can use it on the way back???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.