Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Waitlisted miles+copay upgrade expired - not on list at the gate!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Waitlisted miles+copay upgrade expired - not on list at the gate!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by DLPhoenix
There are several Threads dealing with GPUs, CPUs and mileage upgrades not clearing. It all comes down to two basic rules:

1. The UA reservation system is not capable of handling upgrades on flights comprised of more than one leg.
  2. You will not be upgraded if you can not see your name on the upgrade wait list on your mobile phone after check-in.

Your mission is therefore to get yourself on the list (remember rule #2, the list you don't see doesn't count, the agent who tries to convince you otherwise never had to clear an upgrade waitlist).
  • Ask the UC agent, a ticketing agent or a phone agent to cancel your check-in (after you completed the first leg) and check you in again. Check your sequence number and verify that it changed; if it hasent the agent didn't cancel your original check-in.
  • Call and ask them to fix the problem, escalate to a supervisor and call again if they failed to fix the problem.
  • Look for a good E+ seat.
  • Write a complaint letter to UA with all the details if you ended up missing an upgrade.
Re: your #1. I live in a city where I always have to connect. Are you saying I'm never going to get an upgrade because there are 2 legs to a destination? For example, GRR-ORD-LAS or GRR-ORD-LHR. That doesn't make sense to me at all. Even CO had people who flew more than one leg on itineraries. Or are you referring to flights w/ same flight #s, but 2 legs? Of course that doesn't make sense to me. What am I missing?

Re: your #2. I have a smartphone (Nokia), but it's not one of the ones that is supported on the mobile part, so how will I ever know if I'm on the list? Just call the 800# each time? And then have them uncheck me in/recheck me in & then escalate? Seriously, I have to do all that just to get an upgrade? Does anyone else think that's nuts, or is it just me? Again, what am I missing?

Re: the guy not closing his deal. I agree it has nothing to do w/ UA.

Cheers.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Re: your #1. I live in a city where I always have to connect. Are you saying I'm never going to get an upgrade because there are 2 legs to a destination? For example, GRR-ORD-LAS or GRR-ORD-LHR. That doesn't make sense to me at all. Even CO had people who flew more than one leg on itineraries. Or are you referring to flights w/ same flight #s, but 2 legs? Of course that doesn't make sense to me. What am I missing?

Re: your #2. I have a smartphone (Nokia), but it's not one of the ones that is supported on the mobile part, so how will I ever know if I'm on the list? Just call the 800# each time? And then have them uncheck me in/recheck me in & then escalate? Seriously, I have to do all that just to get an upgrade? Does anyone else think that's nuts, or is it just me? Again, what am I missing?

Re: the guy not closing his deal. I agree it has nothing to do w/ UA.

Cheers.
You can see the list by going to the mobile UA website.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
You can see the list by going to the mobile UA website.
Thanks. I'll check that out in the future.

But what about my #1 & the other parts of my #2?

Cheers.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:03 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by star_world
Not correct according to many, many posts here but that tone is certainly the one that is engineered to prevail around here. Are you aware of this thread, where UA responded officially less than 24 hours after it being raised? On a fairly trivial point, might I add. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...on-elites.html

Blanket statements like this without any data to back them up are eyebrow-raising and certainly not 'moderate', to say the least.
You can certainly continue to defend United, but I'll use my many years of experience on UA (1K for many years before becoming a GS at the outset of the program) to tell people what I believe is now the truth.

I'll put up my experiences with the airline against yours any day and the posters can decide whom to believe.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:11 pm

Re: your #1. I live in a city where I always have to connect. Are you saying I'm never going to get an upgrade because there are 2 legs to a destination? For example, GRR-ORD-LAS or GRR-ORD-LHR.
No. If it is a "direct" flight (same number but change of aircraft) then there are problems. Regular connections aren't.

Re: your #2. I have a smartphone (Nokia), but it's not one of the ones that is supported on the mobile part, so how will I ever know if I'm on the list?
You can go to http://mobile.united.com/flightstatus and check from any device. Or look at the GIDS. Calling in is useless.
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by star_world
Not correct according to many, many posts here but that tone is certainly the one that is engineered to prevail around here. Are you aware of this thread, where UA responded officially less than 24 hours after it being raised? On a fairly trivial point, might I add. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...on-elites.html

Blanket statements like this without any data to back them up are eyebrow-raising and certainly not 'moderate', to say the least.
So no communication of any kind for 3 weeks, then an acknowledgement of the latest of a growing list of "bugs" / "glitches" (quite minor in this case), is an example of success?

Sorry - they.don't.care.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
No. If it is a "direct" flight (same number but change of aircraft) then there are problems. Regular connections aren't.

You can go to http://mobile.united.com/flightstatus and check from any device. Or look at the GIDS. Calling in is useless.
Thank you.

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
You can certainly continue to defend United, but I'll use my many years of experience on UA (1K for many years before becoming a GS at the outset of the program) to tell people what I believe is now the truth.

I'll put up my experiences with the airline against yours any day and the posters can decide whom to believe.
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
So no communication of any kind for 3 weeks, then an acknowledgement of the latest of a growing list of "bugs" / "glitches" (quite minor in this case), is an example of success?

Sorry - they.don't.care.
Perhaps you both have an issue understanding my point. It's clear that there are "some" people in UA that care about "some" issues. It's very possible that you could replace one or both of those "some"s with "many". I'm sure you both have a lot of anger to vent but making a farcical blanket statement that actually cannot be backed up in any way and then trying to defend it is, quite honestly laughable. Hardly constructive for this community either.

Your status or tenure in the program doesn't have anything to do with how real the farcical statement is (or not) either - sorry. Finally, I'm still looking for where the defence of UA was in my post?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 13, 2012 at 4:43 pm Reason: unnecessary
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA nada, Hyatt Disc, Hilton Gold
Just for clarification, as I have not previously attempted a miles & co-pay upgrade:

If my upgrade doesn't clear prior to T-24 and if I don't appear on the published list after checking-in, I need to work with a gate agent or similar to get on to the list? Are they allowed to process miles & co-pay upgrades at the gate or the service desks?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by SeaRaptor
If my upgrade doesn't clear prior to T-24 and if I don't appear on the published list after checking-in, I need to work with a gate agent or similar to get on to the list?
Yes.
Are they allowed to process miles & co-pay upgrades at the gate or the service desks?
Depends on what you mean by "process" in this context. They cannot add a new upgrade request. And if R is open before the flight goes to gate control I believe only rez agents process upgrades. But the final processing of the waitlist happens at the gate by the GAs.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes.
Depends on what you mean by "process" in this context. They cannot add a new upgrade request. And if R is open before the flight goes to gate control I believe only rez agents process upgrades. But the final processing of the waitlist happens at the gate by the GAs.
I guess by "process" I was asking if it is possible to purchase a miles and co-pay upgrade inside the OLCI window. It sounds as if it is not.

I'm afraid that despite giving UA my credit card number and going through the work to get on the waitlist, I still might not appear. Is there some way to prove that I should have been waitlisted if this does occur? It's not as if we get a receipt for these things. If I don't show up and a service desk agent can't find any record of the transaction, I'm kind of hosed, I guess.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 4:35 pm

I guess by "process" I was asking if it is possible to purchase a miles and co-pay upgrade inside the OLCI window. It sounds as if it is not.
It is but only from the reservations folks, not at the airport AFAIK.

I'm afraid that despite giving UA my credit card number and going through the work to get on the waitlist, I still might not appear. Is there some way to prove that I should have been waitlisted if this does occur? It's not as if we get a receipt for these things. If I don't show up and a service desk agent can't find any record of the transaction, I'm kind of hosed, I guess.
If you requested it in advance they shouldn't have too much trouble re-listing it.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 5:53 pm

Thanks for the assistance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.