Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Charges more for Elites than Non-Elites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond

There's been talk of how UA charges more for elites than non-elites for different types of fares and services. I've thought I've seen examples where a first class fare is lower for a non-elite than an elite when logged on or not to the website, but I haven't been able to replicate that lately. If anyone else has, they should post a picture here.

But with the mileage maximizer, I have an upcoming itinerary that doesn't have my MileagePlus number in it. When I check it out, they offer me the opportunity to buy 6,992 miles for $140 or 13,984 for $280. But when I log in or put in my MileagePlus number, those fees jump to $280 and $420 respectively, with the elite maximizer going up at the same jump too. Maybe UA wants to zap me more because more elite miles now = more GPUs/RPUs for me?

Anyone have other examples where you're charged more because you have status?

Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
They must have the same programmer as DL, except DL does this on fares.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy
There's been talk of how UA charges more for elites than non-elites for different types of fares and services. I've thought I've seen examples where a first class fare is lower for a non-elite than an elite when logged on or not to the website, but I haven't been able to replicate that lately. If anyone else has, they should post a picture here.

But with the mileage maximizer, I have an upcoming itinerary that doesn't have my MileagePlus number in it. When I check it out, they offer me the opportunity to buy 6,992 miles for $140 or 13,984 for $280. But when I log in or put in my MileagePlus number, those fees jump to $280 and $420 respectively, with the elite maximizer going up at the same jump too. Maybe UA wants to zap me more because more elite miles now = more GPUs/RPUs for me?

This is astounding. Thank you for posting.

I have long suspected, based on reports here in FT, that they are only offering the TODs to flyers without status or with low status. That was reinforced by a posted conversation where someone reported being told that SHARES has a fancy algorithm that basically knows how much it can extract from you based on your flying pattern.

My impression, which your post reinforces, is that SHARES is designed so that it will not give good offers to people that it knows fly a lot and/or spend a lot of money - whether that's the price of a fare, the price of a UG offer, or in your case, it seems, the price of buying miles.

Just another apparent example of the war that Rainey, $mi$ek, and the rest of this regime have declared against loyal flyers. It seems like they want to create an American version of Ryanair and their goal is to clear us (frequently, loyal, high-value fliers) out of the system so they can transform UA into the WalMart of the skies.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
What the screenshots actually show is that UA "charges" more for MP members than non-MP members - not elite vs. non-elite. I say "charges" because as it says above, you need to have a MileagePlus account to be able to purchase the miles. The first offer shown above doesn't appear to be possible to purchase because there is no MP account to credit the miles to.

It looks like an error in how the miles are shown before a MP number is added - rather than something you can actually purchase. Do you have a non-elite MP friend you could test this theory with?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by star_world
What the screenshots actually show is that UA "charges" more for MP members than non-MP members - not elite vs. non-elite. I say "charges" because as it says above, you need to have a MileagePlus account to be able to purchase the miles. The first offer shown above doesn't appear to be possible to purchase because there is no MP account to credit the miles to.

It looks like an error in how the miles are shown before a MP number is added - rather than something you can actually purchase. Do you have a non-elite MP friend you could test this theory with?
No, the thing to do would be accept the lower offer and then insert your MP number and see if the price remains the same. If so, BUSTED.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyinbob
No, the thing to do would be accept the lower offer and then insert your MP number and see if the price remains the same. If so, BUSTED.
Busted? On what basis you do believe there's some sort of scam going on here?

Did you notice in the screenshot that you can't actually accept the lower offer? The checkboxes are grayed out. And the OP's own post said that when you enter an MP number the higher price is shown.

How do the screenshots posted above relate to the subject of "UA charges more for elites than non-elites"?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by star_world
Busted? On what basis you do believe there's some sort of scam going on here?

Did you notice in the screenshot that you can't actually accept the lower offer? The checkboxes are grayed out. And the OP's own post said that when you enter an MP number the higher price is shown.

How do the screenshots posted above relate to the subject of "UA charges more for elites than non-elites"?
They don't. Not sure why OP used the subject line he did to include the screenshots he included.

It's also worth noting that while carriers closely guard the actual # of elites at each tier level, it's estimated that for USA legacy carriers, approximately 6% of members of a program have some elite status. That's clearly not the anecdotal situation on certain routes, but OP is simply confused.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Sorry

I thought we already put the "Scam" rumors away

1. You MUST be a mileage plus member to buy miles. The price you got as a NON MEMBER (not non Elite) as you stated is less then .02 a mile which has not been offered since FASTAIR went to heaven. There is no scam there since you can't buy miles unless your a member. It's a MISTAKE. It does happen without it having to be a scam

Same with cheap TODs for non Elites. Did it happen a few times after 3/3? YES. Can ANY Elite Or non Elite get a 39.00 upgrade any longer (except MAYBE on a Exp flight)? NO. It just plain no longer happens. Buy ups are now expensive for EVERYONE and the price goes down closer to departure

SHARES can't even keep a reservation intact. Just cuz one guy who just learned the word algorithm says there is some fancy way the computer has of ripping us off does not make it true

There are SO MANY real problems with UA.....Do we really have to make problems where they don't exhist?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
There are SO MANY real problems with UA.....Do we really have to make problems where they don't exhist?
+1. Totally agree with this.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy

According to this post, you should simply hit the refresh button after you enter your MP account, and then receive the lower offer again.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by cafri
According to this post, you should simply hit the refresh button after you enter your MP account, and then receive the lower offer again.
He won't get that price again. It's UNDER .02 a mile which is not offered to anyone only longer. It's a mistake. (maybe false advertising at worst) but NO ONE, elite or not will get that offer once any MP number is entered
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
He won't get that price again. It's UNDER .02 a mile which is not offered to anyone only longer. It's a mistake. (maybe false advertising at worst) but NO ONE, elite or not will get that offer once any MP number is entered
6992 miles * $0.02 = $139.84
He got a $140 offer.

Or the other way around:
$140 / 6992 miles = $0.020022883 > $0.02

Am I missing something?
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:34 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This seems the most likely explanation -- there have been multiple reports of this refresh issue / bug / ????

The 2 cpm offer for RDMs has been quite common in the right situation, international flights w/ partner segment seems to get this. However USA domestic only flights seems to get higher offers, such as 3cpm for RDMs. (reverified both of these before posting based on my future itins)
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:38 am

6992 miles * $0.02 = $139.84
He got a $140 offer.

Or the other way around:
$140 / 6992 miles = $0.020022883 > $0.02

Am I missing something?
Excuse me. .02 a mile (not UNDER .02). Does not matter. Same argument. It's not a giant conspiracy! It's one of the billions of mistakes Shares makes a day. Show me where anyone can actually BUY that offer and I'll eat my words

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This seems the most likely explanation -- there have been multiple reports of this refresh issue / bug / ????

The 2 cpm offer for RDMs has been quite common in the right situation, international flights w/ partner segment seems to get this. However USA domestic only flights seems to get higher offers, such as 3cpm for RDMs. (reverified both of these before posting based on my future itins)
I just looked at 2 upcoming itin
1 all UA domestic. .028 / mile
2 UA/LH/TG intl res .02 / mile

I said earlier UA does not offer 02 A mile any longer but should have said "on all domestic itin". The actual offer he got is VERY high. The most expensive I have anywhere is .028 (I think it goes up at T-48)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 10, 2012 at 11:07 am Reason: merge
Old Jun 10, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
I just verified this. Thanks for posting the link! I was seeing Award Accelerator rights at nearly $0.05 per mile. Now they are at $0.02 per mile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.