Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United gave me a sex change!

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2012, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by reamworks
So I will have to be "Roberta" and explain to the TSA everytime my name doesn't match my DL, because that may mean I'm a terrorist! (And yes, I've been hassled over this several times.)
Your DL does not have your middle initial or middle name?
Old May 29, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
My name is Andrew S XXXXX. I've often been addressed as "Mr. Andrews." What're you gonna do?
Old May 29, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: AF/KLM Plat
Mine is printed as STEVENG, so it looks like my mom sneezed when she told the nurse what she wanted to name me.

Secure flight requires a full name to be given (as matching the ID), but I don't know if this includes a middle name. I can't imagine it's required since some people don't have middle names. Hopefully it's something they can fix in the SHARES update.
Old May 29, 2012, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
i assume that's a SHARES thing as my BP's have always said LASTNAME/BOBDMR for as long as i can remember (just checked my BP from yesterday's flight, same thing). first time i've ever heard of it being a problem though, for all the screwups that happen with the TSA, usually they're smart enough to figure that part out...
It has nothing to do with SHARES as PMUA did the same thing with running together first name and middle name/initial. IME it seems to be pretty common with other carriers.
Old May 29, 2012, 3:01 pm

My name is

Mr. Robert A Reamworks

Since 3/3, my boarding passes say

Mr. ROBERTA REAMWORKS

or sometimes

REAMWORKS ROBERTAMR

I just called the UA GS hotline, and they say there's NOTHING they can do about this. The way it was explained to me is that the system internally stores it as LASTNAME-MIDDLE INITIAL-MR with no space, and it tries to space the names by guessing when it prints them out.

So I will have to be "Roberta" and explain to the TSA everytime my name doesn't match my DL, because that may mean I'm a terrorist! (And yes, I've been hassled over this several times.)

I feel your pain. United misspelled my last name for 23 of the last 26 years I've been associated with them. I've been a United pilot for 26.

FAB
Old May 29, 2012, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
Originally Posted by Antipode
It has nothing to do with SHARES as PMUA did the same thing with running together first name and middle name/initial. IME it seems to be pretty common with other carriers.
You could use this "feature" to beat the no-fly list! If you're name is (for example) Osama Bin Laden, you could put your name in the system as "Osam A Bin Laden". The No-Fly computers won't catch you, but your passport will match the boarding pass at checkin!
Old May 29, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
My name is

Mr. Robert A Reamworks

Since 3/3, my boarding passes say

Mr. ROBERTA REAMWORKS

or sometimes

REAMWORKS ROBERTAMR

I just called the UA GS hotline, and they say there's NOTHING they can do about this. The way it was explained to me is that the system internally stores it as LASTNAME-MIDDLE INITIAL-MR with no space, and it tries to space the names by guessing when it prints them out.

My son has same issue here but fortunately he is only 9 and don't travel much or have an ID to verify but still a hoot with TSA.

His name is Gabriel Austin TXbizman and his BP says TXBizman, GabrielA. Some TSA and/or GA calls him Gabriella to which he corrects them. I guess they don't know the correct spelling of the girl's name and the fact that he is small with long hair, he can pass for a girl. I am sure he will ask his name be changed as he grows older...
Old May 29, 2012, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Welcome to an air transportation system designed in... what, the 70's?

It's not a simple fix. This data is stored in a certain way and shared amongst all interlining airlines. So, for example, if your flight gets cancelled and UA wants to put you on another airline's flight, there's a particular data format in place that allows that ticket with passenger name to be moved over, and it's gotta be the same in both spots.
Old May 29, 2012, 4:34 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, UA Gold, AA Gold
This may be the answer of the question I have been having. I do not have a middle name. Recently I have noticed that on the right half of UA boarding passes, my first name is printed sans the last letter, while it is written correctly on the left half. However, I never have problems with the TSA.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:01 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
For a year and a half, Continental Travel Club greeted me as Ms. Mrp Alert. Apparently, CO IT was about as competent as legacy UA IT. At least that problem got fixed in March.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Originally Posted by goalie
You and me both as my name is Mr. David A goalie and I am now goalie DAVIDA
Now change your last name to Inagada and you are on to something.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
I have the same issue. First name is Robert, second name is Alexander, yielding the BP that reads RJNYC ROBERTA MR.

OP - let me know if MP Customer Service can fix!
Old May 29, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), Marriott lifetime Plat
Thank heavens I don't have a middle name. Thanks for saving me from (just one) SHARES annoyance, Mom and Dad! :-)
Old May 29, 2012, 7:35 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Thorgils
There's nothing new here to blame on the CO takeover. pmUA has been rendering my "Michael A" as "Michaela" for many years . . . and, if I remember correctly, it used to be without the "Mr."
very true but there is a new twist if you have a suffix. they are merged together and any place (PNR search on UA or partner sites, sponsoring upgrades, ...) you need to use the merged name
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ame-issue.html
Old May 29, 2012, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's always been this way, it's just the middle name rarely blends with the first name so well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.