Programs: UA GS, WN A-List, AA Exec Plat, National Emerald
United gave me a sex change!

My name is

Mr. Robert A Reamworks

Since 3/3, my boarding passes say

Mr. ROBERTA REAMWORKS

or sometimes

REAMWORKS ROBERTAMR

I just called the UA GS hotline, and they say there's NOTHING they can do about this. The way it was explained to me is that the system internally stores it as LASTNAME-MIDDLE INITIAL-MR with no space, and it tries to space the names by guessing when it prints them out.

So I will have to be "Roberta" and explain to the TSA everytime my name doesn't match my DL, because that may mean I'm a terrorist! (And yes, I've been hassled over this several times.)
Old May 29, 2012, 12:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by reamworks
My name is

Mr. Robert A Reamworks

Mr. ROBERTA REAMWORKS

or sometimes

REAMWORKS ROBERTAMR

I just called the UA GS hotline, and they say there's NOTHING they can do about this. The way it was explained to me is that the system internally stores it as LASTNAME-MIDDLE INITIAL-MR with no space, and it tries to space the names by guessing when it prints them out.

So I will have to be "Roberta" and explain to the TSA everytime my name doesn't match my DL, because that may mean I'm a terrorist! (And yes, I've been hassled over this several times.)
My first and middle names run together - which would make my late grandmother very happy, because she always called me by first and middle names. And yes, it can't be fixed, and no, it isn't a SHARES issue - my names were run together long before the merger.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Really, UA can't remove the middle initial altogether?
Old May 29, 2012, 12:23 pm

I don't think this will be an issue. In the future you can just omit the middle initial and it will solve you problems. Most airline computer systems around the world put the middle name with the first name. That is because on passports the middle name appears in the line given name and not surnames.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Really, UA can't remove the middle initial altogether?
I didn't think about that option. I may try it. My grandmother won't mind at this point.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Just email MP customer service and ask them to remove your middle initial from your account.... I did this very thing in March and it was no problem (although it did take a few weeks for them to complete the request). As long as you use your full name in the secure flight info you don't need your middle initial printed on your BP's.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
i assume that's a SHARES thing as my BP's have always said LASTNAME/BOBDMR for as long as i can remember (just checked my BP from yesterday's flight, same thing). first time i've ever heard of it being a problem though, for all the screwups that happen with the TSA, usually they're smart enough to figure that part out...
Old May 29, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Considering that COdbaUA has been telling many GS's and 1K's to bend over, your title could mean many things.......
Old May 29, 2012, 12:38 pm

Location: New Orleans on a sabattical. My roots are in Los Angeles.
Programs: Chase Palladium, AMEX Plat, UA Plat, AA EXP, HH/SPG G, PC plat
Changes that you'll like!
Old May 29, 2012, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
i very literally have the same problem, aside from a strange look from time to time from the tsa i have never had a problem. my solution? i simply stopped using my middle name. btw you can't blame this on shares. united would mess things up before, and continential would not...
Old May 29, 2012, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
My name is

Mr. Robert A Reamworks

Mr. ROBERTA REAMWORKS

or sometimes

REAMWORKS ROBERTAMR

You and me both as my name is Mr. David A goalie and I am now goalie DAVIDA
Old May 29, 2012, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
I had the identical "sex change" on UA...and it has been going on for the last 30+ years...with numerous attempts to correct the problem The only time it was ever an issue was on a couple of mid-80s international flights where the First Class amenity kits were gender specific...I ended up with a couple of female kits issued based on the flight manifest...which Mrs. 1KPath used and appreciated when I got home! I never experienced any problem with TSA...but I did get teased about it in Paris by a very attractive customer service agent
Old May 29, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: 1K on UA, Platinum on CO
I don't think it is a big issue - Mine has always done this.

COdbaUA did address a response to me on a concern as "MS." they did not respond to the e-mail I sent them back that my title is Dr. and I'm a MAN as it clearly says in EVERY piece of data they have for me.
Old May 29, 2012, 1:14 pm

Mr. ROBERTA REAMWORKS

or sometimes

REAMWORKS ROBERTAMR
There's nothing new here to blame on the CO takeover. pmUA has been rendering my "Michael A" as "Michaela" for many years . . . and, if I remember correctly, it used to be without the "Mr."
Old May 29, 2012, 1:16 pm

So I will have to be "Roberta" and explain to the TSA every time my name doesn't match my DL, because that may mean I'm a terrorist! (And yes, I've been hassled over this several times.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.