Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades for UA MP flyer on COPA post MP separation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
COPA ceased using MileagePlus in July 2015 --forming its own program, ConnectMiles. However, COPA has continue to allow the use of UA MP GPUs.RPUs
With the introduction of PlusPoints, those are usable on CM.

FAQs:
Q: Can I use United GPUs/RPUs (and PlusPoints) on Copa?
A: Yes, both GPUs and RPUs can be used on Copa operated flights.

Q: What fare class do I need to be available for a GPU/RPU?
A: Z space on Copa. Or is it X? There are conflicting reports.

Q: Where can I find out what fare class is available?
A: Expertflyer is the best best. There are a few (old) reports that you can look for Z space on the UA site using expert mode. But that does not appear to be true.

There are also reports that Copa's I and Z inventory are closely, if not directly, correlated. Use the UA site to search for business saver award.

Q: Who do I call to process the upgrade?
A: Upgrades are processed by the "Star Alliance Desk" (which is not part of UA). Instead it appears to be a facilitator for travel on different *A carriers. Call United and asked to be transferred to the Star Alliance Desk. (Please add a direct number here if anyone has it).

Q: How does this work?
A: the Star Alliance Desk will create a United PNR for your Copa reservation and then apply the instrument for upgrade. You can see this PNR later in your UA account.

Q: Can I waitlist for an upgrade?
A: No. There is no current mechanism to wait list for flights. Keep checking back to see if space opens up.

Q: What fares are mileage upgradeable?
A: Copa Airlines – M, H, Q, K, V, U, S, O, W, E, L, T and A class

Pre-separation thread
COPA Upgrades for United members?
Related thread
Mileage Plus PQD/PQM for Copa?

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold

CPU will be gone july 1, but at least RPU/GPU can still be used on copa.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:45 am

Turbulence

Maybe the Copa schism isn't working out real well, at least not yet. I called yesterday to ask when online ConnectMiles redemptions would become available and the representative put me on hold to find out what I was talking about. Finally, she said that's set for November.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Question Using ua systemwides on copa

I was thinking of going to South America in a couple of months and I found out that I could use my systemwides on COPA without fare class restrictions (above N). Anyway as I would be flying through PTY I wondered if each systemwide would cover both legs: NYC to PTY to XXX like UA would (stopover in PTY would probably be just a few hours).

If you know please let me know...
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
There has only been one post on that thread since the breakup of the UA/Copa relationship. I've been wondering about this too... what exactly are the rules for UA-issued certs for travel on Copa? Thanks!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 22, 2015 at 5:51 pm Reason: Quote update to reflect Moderator edit
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Back in January, I upgraded my friend LAX-PTY-EZE. that one way 2 segments on Copa required just 1 united RPU.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 5:39 pm

chaps thanks for your replys

qisu that's helpful and thanks for letting me know but as you know since January COPA has (IMO unfortunately) become it's own company and lots of rules have changed.....
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I booked a Copa flight after the break-up (on UA stock to get the PQD): JFK-PTY-MDE. I called to use my RPU to UG the flights. Only JFK-PTY leg was available and PTY-MDE was not. No big deal, PTY-MDE is only about an hour flight. So I got UG'd for the JFK-PTY leg. But I was told that if PTY-MDE UG becomes available later, I will have to use another RPU to UG that leg.

One RPU can be used on both segments only if UGs on the both flights are available at the same time.

Last edited by CAPT Tee; Sep 22, 2015 at 6:56 pm
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by CAPT Tee
I booked a Copa flight after the break-up (on UA stock to get the PQD): JFK-PTY-MDE. I called to use my RPU to UG the flights. Only JFK-PTY leg was available and PTY-MDE was not. No big deal, PTY-MDE is only about an hour flight. So I got UG'd for the JFK-PTY leg. But I was told that if PTY-MDE UG becomes available later, I will have to use another RPU to UG that leg.

One RPU can be used on both segments only if UGs on the both flights are available at the same time.
That ain't right. I've used a single RPU and extended it to cover another segment when that became available.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
That ain't right. I've used a single RPU and extended it to cover another segment when that became available.
Was it for flight after 1 JUL 2015?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:33 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Was it for flight after 1 JUL 2015?
mid August
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by rob_flies_ua
I called again today to UG the return legs. UG'd both segments of the return trip with one RPU. Asked about UG on the second leg on the outbound and was told again it would take another RPU. This is the third person told me the same thing.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I called again today to UG the return legs. UG'd both segments of the return trip with one RPU. Asked about UG on the second leg on the outbound and was told again it would take another RPU. This is the third person told me the same thing.
That's what the Copa ConnectMiles website says - 1 segment per instrument.

ConnectMiles - Upgrade Certificates
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:49 pm

Programs: LH Senator, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's what the Copa ConnectMiles website says - 1 segment per instrument.

ConnectMiles - Upgrade Certificates
which is irrelevant as he is trying to upgrade with United instruments.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:58 pm

Written response from GS agent today:

One certificate covers an entire journey from original to destination of your outbound flights and then another certificate if you had return flights on Copa.

Also, when upgrading on Copa it is wither available or not available, they do not allow waitlists or upgrade stand bys.

All multi-cabin flights operated by Copa Airlines are eligible for Regional Premier Upgrades and Global Premier Upgrades without fare restrictions
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by swaigiux
which is irrelevant as he is trying to upgrade with United instruments.
It's really not because there are several reports that CM is now requiring an instrument per segment.

And, as is typical, agents are giving out conflicting information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.