Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COPA Upgrades for United members?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

COPA Upgrades for United members?

I have a reservation to fly to Colombia on Copa. I would like to use my GPUs to upgrade the rez, but I can't seem to find anyone to help. I have called the Premier 1K 1Call line half a times, only to be transferred to people or numbers that cannot help me. Mostly I keep getting told to call Copa. I have called Copa, and they keep sending me back to United MileagePlus since they handle all FF program issues.

From what I have read on both United and Copa sites, I understand that I can use the GPUs with Copa. Do I have it wrong? If not, what number should I call to help me with this issue? Thanks in advance.
Old May 27, 2012, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, you can use your instruments to upgrade on CM metal. No, you don't call Copa to get that done. The folks at the regular reservations desk should be the ones to handle it for you because it is part of the MP program. You're going to have to stand your ground next time an agent tries to push you elsewhere.
Old May 27, 2012, 3:44 pm
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
sbm12's advice is correct, as usual. However, if you want to upgrade yourself, as a 1K you are almost certain to get an automated upgrade on Copa (and if you don't, then most likely the GPU would not have gone through either). If you are trying to upgrade a companion, then use the GPU.
Old May 27, 2012, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies. The agents at the 1K line seem to be completely lost on this one. They keep wanting to look up the Copa reservation code as if it were a United code, and nothing comes up (as expected). What else can I tell them to help them find my info? Any ideas?

Also, I have several people on my reservation, and I have a bunch of certs I am trying to use.
Old May 27, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HA Pualani
GPU on Copa

I booked a HNL-SCL on UA then Copa from PTY. Used four GPU for two Pax R/T. Most segments were wait listed then three of four domestic legs cleared.

One Copa leg also cleared and the other did not, even though no F seats were 100% open.

Called 1k desk and they said the leg is wait listed and nothing they could do.

Looked at EF but could not see Copa inventory or fare codes. Called Copa and they were of no use. Said to wait for comp upgrade.

Called Hnl 1k desk and after 10 min had our GPU on Copa confirmed. All Copa legs to F are now Z fare, not R.

It might be worth a shot to see what the Z inventory is if that is what the upgrade is in the end booked into.

Hope this helps.
Old May 27, 2012, 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by negrrrito
Thanks for the quick replies. The agents at the 1K line seem to be completely lost on this one. They keep wanting to look up the Copa reservation code as if it were a United code, and nothing comes up (as expected). What else can I tell them to help them find my info? Any ideas?

Also, I have several people on my reservation, and I have a bunch of certs I am trying to use.
I'm not sure what else to suggest other than either hoping for a sCO call center where there is a slightly greater chance that the agent has dealt with CM flights previously, ask for a supervisor or wait until Tuesday and call the MPSC instead of reservations, though the last one probably isn't going to be the best bet.
Old May 28, 2012, 7:09 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
FT'er davemflyer documented the process for using RPU/GPU here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...-rpu-copa.html

Go to posting #10, which explains what the UA reps have to do. You definitely have to do it through UA, not COPA.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:50 am
Zip

Programs: UA-MM; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 808oman
I booked a HNL-SCL on UA then Copa from PTY. Used four GPU for two Pax R/T. Most segments were wait listed then three of four domestic legs cleared.
Could you please explain your process, since many of us have difficulty doing this? Was HNL-SCL all UA, with the PTY=SCL being a codeshare?? If so, then did you upgrade the domestic AND CM segments all via phone agents?
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:02 pm

Regional Upgrades on Copa

My home airport is LAS. While Copa started a new nonstop to PTY, connections with United/Copa are actually more practical (times) and affordable. I am looking at routing LAS-ORD-PTY, with ORD-PTY being a Copa codeshare. My question: if I use a Mileage Plus regional upgrade, is it applicable to the Copa that has a UAL flight number? Or will it inadvertently get caught up in the technicality of "no upgrades on codeshares?"
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by JayLASflyer
Or will it inadvertently get caught up in the technicality of "no upgrades on codeshares?"
This rule doesn't exist really if you're using MileagePlus instruments on UA/CM metal IME.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 8:45 pm

Thanks, SBM.
Old Jul 5, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Using GPUs/RPUs on Copa Airlines. Help!

I applied a regional. Did not expect to.come through on Copa but found that they upgraded me this weekend. Don't know if it is the regional or my 1k- ness. Regional triggered on one of my UA segs towards PTY but not both yet. (booked
Z home for the same price as an economy ticket - don't know if that was a mistake or a good deal).
Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTT; IHG DiamondAmb; WoH Globalist; UA1K2MM; NationalEE; AvisPC; HertzPC
Using RPU on COPA flights

I just booked a rt CM ticket ORD - GIG via PTY. How do I use my RPU to request an upgrade on CM flight? Should I call the 1k line or COPA? Also, this is a K booking class, so I know I can't even use GPU to get an upgrade for the segment PTY - GIG. But would I be eligible for an RPU upgrade from ORD to PTY? I'm 100% sure if I buy a rt ticket between ORD - PTY, I can use the RPU for an upgrade regardless of booking class. But I'm not sure whether I can use it for only one segment of the whole itinerary.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Gold 1.6 MM
This thread may help...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ines-help.html
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:29 pm

why bother using the RPU when you are a 1K, more than likely you would be upgraded via CPU. COPA is pretty good when it comes to Premier upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.