Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United drops early boarding for children

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 7:14 pm

I don't care if kids get to board early, but I definitely have experienced frustration with the abusers. How pathetic do you have to be as a dad to knowingly break rules using your 5 year old just because you're too poor to fork over $40 (or, heck, just get a credit card).

This wouldn't be an issue at all if UA would quit letting people put their carry on AND their personal item in the overhead bins. That is much more rampantly abused than the whole kid thing.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
United drops early boarding for children

In this case the criticism is unwarranted

No preboard is the better policy.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:53 pm

The next time I accidentially nail you folks in the E+ aisle seats in the head as I walk down the aisle sideways during group 4 boarding, because I am carrying my 3 year old's car seat in my right hand and my infant's bucket (with infant in it) in my left hand (while my wife brings up the rear carrying the two diaper bags, her carry on satchel, and my laptop or camera bag), please accept my honest apologies. I'd have liked to board with all my crap before your head came to be seated in my way, but they didn't give me a choice.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by hoopics
The next time I accidentially nail you folks in the E+ aisle seats in the head as I walk down the aisle sideways during group 4 boarding, because I am carrying my 3 year old's car seat in my right hand and my infant's bucket (with infant in it) in my left hand (while my wife brings up the rear carrying the two diaper bags, her carry on satchel, and my laptop or camera bag), please accept my honest apologies. I'd have liked to board with all my crap before your head came to be seated in my way, but they didn't give me a choice.
I'd for one would like to praise you for buying the seats for your children and using the car seats-and as the parent of 5, I would suggest a backpack in lieu of the 2 diaper bags. It would make your travel load alot easier!
Old May 23, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
Here's the thing: Children preboarding/not preboarding was the most inconsistently-applied UA policy before 3/3, and I suspect it will remain so going forward.

I guarantee you that somewhere tomorrow in the UA system -- likely plenty of places -- the GA will preboard families with small children. Same thing six months from now. You can go up to the podium waving that USA TODAY article and the agent will tell you that UA boards kids first and has always boarded kids first.

And for every GA who says "this is an MCO-bound flight, everyone has kids, therefore no kids board early" another will say "this is the Disney express, let's board all you families early."
Old May 23, 2012, 9:24 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
Boarding has been inconsistent since the start of this awful merger.

I have to say, I like the simplicity of DL's boarding. Babies and wheelchairs, a decent pause, First, Sky (upper elites and prem. econ), then some zones.

I remember the good ol' days at PMUA, that was simple too. Red carpet GS/1K/First, (Business soon afterwards); no carpet Prem exec/*G, then 1-4. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember UA boarding wheelchairs before GS, but children later on. Made sense to me.

It's all FUBAR now and I'm so glad I no longer have to experience the inconsistent confusion and elite cattle calls that the new United calls "boarding."

Originally Posted by flavorflav
Here's the thing: Children preboarding/not preboarding was the most inconsistently-applied UA policy before 3/3, and I suspect it will remain so going forward.

I guarantee you that somewhere tomorrow in the UA system -- likely plenty of places -- the GA will preboard families with small children. Same thing six months from now. You can go up to the podium waving that USA TODAY article and the agent will tell you that UA boards kids first and has always boarded kids first.

And for every GA who says "this is an MCO-bound flight, everyone has kids, therefore no kids board early" another will say "this is the Disney express, let's board all you families early."
Old May 24, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: Several dozen
Children of a Lesser Class

Should only first or business class children board first ahead of children of a lower class. Or has United done a class act of shooting itself in the foot?

I'm not so sure I wanna ride in the back of the United bus, ...ummm...I mean plane, with all the lower class children. Shouldn't we have seperate, but equal planes for them?

What next Jeffy, you gonna use waterhoses and dogs to enforce the rule?

(CNN) -- As families prepare for air travel this coming Memorial Day weekend, United Airlines won't be offering early boarding to families in coach with small children.

Joining a handful of other carriers, United made the policy shift in late April with little fanfare.

Previously, families with small children flying coach were allowed on aircraft before general boarding, a convenience for moms and dads trying to herd their kids across the friendly skies.

"We figured it would be better to simplify that process and reduce the number of boarding groups," said United spokesman Charles Hobart. The airline does allow passengers with children traveling in first class or business class to board early.
Old May 24, 2012, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
The airline does allow passengers with children traveling in first class or business class to board early.
They make it sound as if this is something new or some sort of class warfare thing. This is how it always has been and will continue to be. Of course those who travel in first or business class board early, children and adults. The way it has always been. The only thing they are doing is getting rid of advance family boarding in coach...the first/business class advance boarding shouldn't even have been brought into the discussion since there really is nothing new there.
Old May 24, 2012, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by discjoker
They make it sound as if this is something new or some sort of class warfare thing. This is how it always has been and will continue to be. Of course those who travel in first or business class board early, children and adults. The way it has always been. The only thing they are doing is getting rid of advance family boarding in coach...the first/business class advance boarding shouldn't even have been brought into the discussion since there really is nothing new there.

+1 ^

To say ..."The airline does allow passengers with children traveling in first class or business class to board early." was in bad taste as FC/BC passengers are entitled to board early - regardless of age. Same goes for elite passengers and their family (on the same PNR), they can board early as well with their children.

Another half-researched (travel) article.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:26 am

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
As a plat who regularly flies back and forth transatlantic with two small children (in paid seats too) I board with the platinums, as is allowed.

To the feckless hacks who make snide comments at the gate, or try to be "helpful" and tell me kids don't board at that time, just get the hell out of my way or buy a higher class of ticket so you can board before me. I'd hate for my PTSD to kick in and me have to kill you with a spoon.

I agree with the other posters who have posted about inconsistent boarding procedures. That is a pet peeve of mine with UA (and a few others).

Be it 2k, plat,military, kids,actors-who-get-on-before-everyone-else, whatever the order should be, make it uniform policy across the "new" UA so there is less guessing amongst pax.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Should only first or business class children board first ahead of children of a lower class. Or has United done a class act of shooting itself in the foot?

I'm not so sure I wanna ride in the back of the United bus, ...ummm...I mean plane, with all the lower class children. Shouldn't we have seperate, but equal planes for them?
The only change is that rather than boarding after all the elites and CC holders the families board after all the elites and CC holders, but in their assigned groups.

It isn't like they were previously the first passengers on board and now they're not.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:47 am
glx

Programs: UA GS, SPG Plat, National EC Executive (Replaced Hertz), Hertz PC (Retired)
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I guess I am going to have to disagree with most of you on this issue. As a parent of two young children who travel everywhere with my wife and myself, I can tell you first hand that having early boarding privileges especially on international long haul is a huge benefit.

Want the benefit? Pay for it. It's a benefit, not a freebie.
Old May 24, 2012, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by flavorflav

Actually the rules read as follows ---

"ALL children MUST board in their assigned groups between ANY hub city and MCO, and there WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS". HOWEVER, between MCO and ANY hub city the rules are explicitly clear and are quite different--- "All passengers regardless of age wearing large mouse ears are ONLY permitted to board before any other passenger is seated"!
This rule is called the preventative "Slap Upside the Head" rule which is to prevent these beanies, with ears, from banging into every passenger between row 1 and their assigned seat.
Old May 24, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by glx
Want the benefit? Pay for it. It's a benefit, not a freebie.
You'll have to explain this one to me. How does one "pay" for the benefit to pre-board before all other passengers? I think I know what you mean (buy F to board early), but that doesn't really accomplish the same as pre-boarding does (not be in the way of ANYONE during the time to get settled).

But I am guessing that your overly aggressive tone tells me all I need to know about your real knowledge of the matter.

Since you're GS, you probably fly F most of the time. Please let me know how a family with small children inconveniences you by boarding before you. I'd like to understand what your beef is...
Old May 24, 2012, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
You'll have to explain this one to me. How does one "pay" for the benefit to pre-board before all other passengers? I think I know what you mean (buy F to board early), but that doesn't really accomplish the same as pre-boarding does (not be in the way of ANYONE during the time to get settled).

But I am guessing that your overly aggressive tone tells me all I need to know about your real knowledge of the matter.

Since you're GS, you probably fly F most of the time. Please let me know how a family with small children inconveniences you by boarding before you. I'd like to understand what your beef is...
You get the credit card, pay for E+, etc. That's how you pay for it.

I find everytime I've been on a recent flight with families, there have been MAJOR seating issues, since families who want to sit together wait until the day of to try to sit together. As you know, by then, gate agents can't help, and so everyone is all jumbled up as the FA attempts to reseat everyone. Not to mention that these families, to avoid bag fees, have more than one carry-on each.

The example cited before of a three-person family carrying two diaper bags, stroller/car seat, and only one extra bag is a rare one. More often than not, there are also two/three roller bags.

This is not directed at AAExPlat or any other FTer, who know better. But the typical families who buy tickets on orbitz, and have no clue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.