Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United drops early boarding for children

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
Moving them from between groups 5 & 6 to just in line with groups 6/7/8 when they would otherwise board doesn't actually seem like much of a difference to me.
I don't say this often....... but I agree.

And I even have a kiddo!

Seems to me this is just another thing for a few 'focus-on-the-family' bloggers to complain about, especially cause they want to be able to pin this on PMUA.

Originally Posted by AAExPlat
I guess I am going to have to disagree with most of you on this issue. As a parent of two young children who travel everywhere with my wife and myself, I can tell you first hand that having early boarding privileges especially on international long haul is a huge benefit.
I'll take the opposing view. On longhaul international, we wait to board until about the middle of the pack. With the COdbaUA boarding of planes about an hour before departure, that's another HOUR that I need to keep Hobo Jr. entertained! And yes, he travels with us everywhere and is a Plat, so technically he could stumble on at his leisure!

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 23, 2012 at 9:04 am Reason: merge
Old May 23, 2012, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Denvercccc
Is this another segment of the market that COdbaUA doesn't want? They are really going to have to reduce capacity if there are no paying customers they want to attract.

Perhaps $misek has a number of puts on UAL that exceeds his buy options and stock.
... and if you read the article, pmCO allowed families to board early; pmUA did not.

Sounds like they adopted (gasp!) a pmUA policy!

So there ya go, pmUA loyalists. It's not all CO policies these days.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by JetAway
...The wheelchair scam also seems to be on the rise, whereby two healthy adults order a wheelchair for one so that they can board early.
That one's been around for many years. I remember a long time ago when I was flying to South Florida often, I made a late SDC and ended up in the last row of a flight to PBI. As I walked off the plane (last), I noticed about 6 wheelchairs waiting for passengers who had clearly ridden on (to board first), but walked off (to avoid disembarking last).
Old May 23, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K-MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Avis something or other
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
... and if you read the article, pmCO allowed families to board early; pmUA did not.

Sounds like they adopted (gasp!) a pmUA policy!

So there ya go, pmUA loyalists. It's not all CO policies these days.
PMUA also allowed passengers with small children to board before their zone. It was after GS and F.
Old May 23, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents, UA Plat, IHG Plat, MR Plat, HH Gold
Priority boarding hardly seems necessary anymore with the length of time they give for boarding now. My planes are almost always filled with 15 minutes to go, even more with the time they give on 757s. There's plenty of time for families to board leisurely once the plane is filled. Would mean less time stuck in the tin can for the little ones...
Old May 23, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Priority boarding hardly seems necessary anymore with the length of time they give for boarding now
Priority boarding is more about Overhead space than anything else these days.

I'll take the opposing view. On longhaul international, we wait to board until about the middle of the pack. With the COdbaUA boarding of planes about an hour before departure, that's another HOUR that I need to keep Hobo Jr. entertained! And yes, he travels with us everywhere and is a Plat, so technically he could stumble on at his leisure!
Interesting viewpoint. I certainly understand where you are coming from. Then again with Ipads and video games these days, one would think he would be entertained until he had to turn his stuff off.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fieldeng

Interesting viewpoint. I certainly understand where you are coming from. Then again with Ipads and video games these days, one would think he would be entertained until he had to turn his stuff off.
And therein lies the issue. Even some adults have trouble with this.... :-)

I'd like to say we don't give him that stuff because we don't want to overstimulate our kids, but mostly he's just too young for it yet!
Old May 23, 2012, 9:05 am

Programs: Silver MileagePlus, Diamond Hilton
Originally Posted by FlyHigh23
I never understood the purpose of priority boarding, I receive it now with DL but it's not like the plane is going to leave w/o me if I'm waiting in line to board. Granted you may have to wait a few minutes to sit down as people are loading their luggage or have to tag yours if there's no space, but um so what??? I think it's just another one of those 'marketing' perks or maybe its just me

I can see where you're coming from. I too think if your biggest problem of the day is you have to end up checking a bag in a plane and not carry it on, life is pretty decent for you. There are lots of other ppl in the world with bigger issues than overhead bin space.
Old May 23, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by hobo13
I'll split the difference. Our scheme was that I would board early to set up the car seat/bucket for our then-infant, plus carry-ons (only personal bags, no luggage - who has that many hands available with a baby+car seat+stroller?), while the Mrs would wait until the last minute to board with Jr. for the very reason you cite.

Not having to trudge slowly in line to board while holding all of that, nor feeling rushed to set everything up was a definite relief. As babies tend to pick up on parental stress, this may also have helped with ensuring a quieter flight for all.

My take on the policy change is that I could go either way.
      Old May 23, 2012, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by subspacetom
      I'll split the difference. Our scheme was that I would board early to set up the car seat/bucket for our then-infant, plus carry-ons (only personal bags, no luggage - who has that many hands available with a baby+car seat+stroller?), while the Mrs would wait until the last minute to board with Jr. for the very reason you cite.

Not having to trudge slowly in line to board while holding all of that, nor feeling rushed to set everything up was a definite relief. As babies tend to pick up on parental stress, this may also have helped with ensuring a quieter flight for all.
      Yes, Mrs. Hobo13 and I have done similar strategies. In fact, we have strategies for every situation imaginable..... ranging from N / 3 UG's cleared, to type of plane, to length of flight.

Amazing that we were able to figure all this stuff out ON OUR OWN before the advent of focus-on-the-family blogs, eh?
      Old May 23, 2012, 9:22 am
      Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
      Even if you do have a carry-on and it doesn't fit they usually just tag it and have it waiting for you when you get off the plane. I usually carry on a backpack and a overhead bag, if I'm not flying DL (and flying a CRJ) I have had to tag my carry on but again I don't see the big deal in that -- if theres something you may need during flight cant you just take it out before they tag it. I'd actually prefer sometimes to have it waiting for me at the exit rather than using the jaws of life to get it out of the overhead
      Actually, if your bag gets tagged on a mainline aircraft, you don't get it back when you get off the plane; you get it back at baggage claim. And there is no way in heck I am gate checking a bag with $7k in camera gear in it, much less sending it to baggage claim...

I value early boarding as a benefit even when I'm not traveling with that extra bag of gear; for me, getting settled onboard is one bit less stress and hectic rushing around to deal with.
      Old May 23, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
      Even if you do have a carry-on and it doesn't fit they usually just tag it and have it waiting for you when you get off the plane. I usually carry on a backpack and a overhead bag, if I'm not flying DL (and flying a CRJ) I have had to tag my carry on but again I don't see the big deal in that -- if theres something you may need during flight cant you just take it out before they tag it. I'd actually prefer sometimes to have it waiting for me at the exit rather than using the jaws of life to get it out of the overhead
      for me it would depend. on a personal trip where i have the luxury of time it's fine, i don't care either way. i usually tag so i don't have to deal with it.

i have had my bag be forced to be tagged once in SFO as i was connecting to an international flight... with a 30 minute connection time. i was less than thrilled with that prospect, especially as i had to run across the terminal and barely made my flight and was completely out of breath. it was one of those smaller-ish bags that i didn't really feel the need to check... but i wish i had that time anyway (seriously, i don't know if this is a PMUA thing, but a lot of the connections for asia trips from the east via SFO that i see seem to have 30-45 minute connections which i think is incredibly stupid and annoying as a customer).

but the big one for me is business travel. no amount of pre-planning gets you around those occasions when customers/clients only have certain time windows open and it forces you to hop multiple cities in one day with immediate meetings and not having to wait for your bag for 10-15 minutes is crucial in a tight schedule. i've definitely had those situations as well.
      Old May 23, 2012, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by exerda
      Actually, if your bag gets tagged on a mainline aircraft, you don't get it back when you get off the plane; you get it back at baggage claim. And there is no way in heck I am gate checking a bag with $7k in camera gear in it, much less sending it to baggage claim...

I value early boarding as a benefit even when I'm not traveling with that extra bag of gear; for me, getting settled onboard is one bit less stress and hectic rushing around to deal with.
      Agreed, I too would not want to pick it up at baggage claim, but for the times I've had to tag it (and granted it has been maybe a handful) I've either asked them to store it in the cabin/have it waiting for me at the exit door and it's never been an issue. I concede that I generally don't carry any expensive equipment in my overhead bag, so I can see you point there. Priority boarding is definitely valuable if it prevents me from going to baggage claim (under a tight schedule), but fortunately I haven't had to deal with that issue.

Last edited by FlyHigh23; May 23, 2012 at 9:54 am
      Old May 23, 2012, 10:17 am
      A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
      Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
      [Conforming moderator edit after the first post was edited.]

But back on the subject at hand, this is a PMUA policy that I did miss. Glad to have it back. ^
      Exactly. UNITED did not have this policy. This isn't a change.
      Old May 23, 2012, 11:06 am
      Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
      Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
      Originally Posted by uastarflyer
      Exactly. UNITED did not have this policy. This isn't a change.
      United did have a policy/practice of pre-/early-boarding for families with young children, but then dropped it in large part quite some time ago. COdbaUA continued to have this policy/practice for some period of time before now (i.e. this year) dropping it in large part too.

Personally, I'd rather that families with young children be continued to be granted the opportunity for pre-/early-boarding as it seems to convenience me in some of the ways suggested by AAExPlat even as I'm entitled to first/business class and/or 1k boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.