Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Yes. You can even bring in someone who is not on the same flight as long as it is a Star Alliance flight they are flying on.
Thanks. This trip started out as a small family trip and has ballooned a bit. Three of us in Global First and two waitlisted for BF. I'd feel bad leaving part of the family out in the hallway.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jasonvr
OK, looking for confirmation of my interpretation of the above. I am arriving in SFO from MUC in LH F and connecting to UA Domestic F to LAX. Since I am arriving in Intl F on a *A carrier, I should have access to the GFL in SFO, correct?

As a side note, I also believe I will have access to the SQ lounge (I think it is open at the right time - I arrive at 7pm and depart at 10:35pm)
And regardless of the language I quoted - flatly denied at the SFO GFL with a phone call to someone to confirm. She even said that if I was arriving on UA Intl F I wouldn't have access SQ SKL isn't open yet, so we are relegated to the UC in T3. Didn't realize they had opened one over near the G gates as well (right by the SKL). When did that open? Is it decent?
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
And regardless of the language I quoted - flatly denied at the SFO GFL with a phone call to someone to confirm. She even said that if I was arriving on UA Intl F I wouldn't have access SQ SKL isn't open yet, so we are relegated to the UC in T3. Didn't realize they had opened one over near the G gates as well (right by the SKL). When did that open? Is it decent?
I'm not surprised you were denied entry.

The UC at the G gates has been there for years. It's basic, and generally overly crowded, although my experiences are mainly in the mornings before all the TPAC flights go out.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by cheltzel
What is the SFO GFL like (as compared to the ORD GFL)?

Larger or smaller? Food/Beverage service?
Much larger. It is a lovely and comfortable space. I haven't been @ ORD in several years, but SFO was always at least a couple notches better (both food and beverage). Food for a lounge run by a domestic US carrier is excellent. For international standards, it is passable. The beverage is pretty good.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
And regardless of the language I quoted - flatly denied at the SFO GFL with a phone call to someone to confirm. She even said that if I was arriving on UA Intl F I wouldn't have access ....
it is a departure lounge, not for arrivals.

There is an SFO Arrivals lounge (for UA flights) but only for the mornings.

Didn't realize they had opened one over near the G gates as well (right by the SKL). When did that open? Is it decent?
since the international terminal was built. Guessing about 15-20 years ago. Amenities are not much different from T3 UC but is a bit more open and airy.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ainternational
I'm not surprised you were denied entry.

The UC at the G gates has been there for years. It's basic, and generally overly crowded, although my experiences are mainly in the mornings before all the TPAC flights go out.
It must have been the construction that threw me off. I must always cut right immediately after getting off the escalator when coming from T3 into the G gates. This time I was coming from G and going to T3 and with the construction barricade, heading for the escalators puts you directly at the door of the UC.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
it is a departure lounge, not for arrivals.

There is an SFO Arrivals lounge (for UA flights) but only for the mornings.
Understand. The language I had originally quoted indicated that on arrival Intl F customers could also get access. I honestly gave it a 50/50 chance before I even tried so I wasn't too disappointed. I knew that I had the UC as a backup.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Much larger. It is a lovely and comfortable space. I haven't been @ ORD in several years, but SFO was always at least a couple notches better (both food and beverage). Food for a lounge run by a domestic US carrier is excellent. For international standards, it is passable. The beverage is pretty good.
FWIW, I find the food at the GFL @ SFO to be pretty terrible. I'd just assume get takeout or eat at one of the restaurants in the terminal. But past security, there isn't anything great anyways at SFO.

On the flip side, I did find the food at the LAX GFL recently to be a pleasant surprise and quite good. Much better than recent experiences at SFO at least.

All of that said, I prefer to just enjoy the drinks in the lounges and have a decent meal at a restaurant instead.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 5:44 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I was at the ORD GFL a few months ago and it as small but fairly nice. The food/drink were pretty basic. Nowhere near a decent LH Senator lounge. I much prefer the UA GFLs at HKG and NRT.

The only thing I recommend it for is if your flight departs from gate C18, you get direct access to the boarding ramp from the club itself.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I was at the ORD GFL a few months ago and it as small but fairly nice. The food/drink were pretty basic. Nowhere near a decent LH Senator lounge. I much prefer the UA GFLs at HKG and NRT.
That's funny. To me, Senator Lounges are just plain awful.

Too hot; too crowded; lousy styling; minimal food choices; until recently expensive paid internet access; but good beer.

But, hey, if you prefer a Senator Lounge to a UA first class lounge, good for you.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:35 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE

Too hot; too crowded; lousy styling; minimal food choices; until recently expensive paid internet access; but good beer.

But, hey, if you prefer a Senator Lounge to a UA first class lounge, good for you.
I believe you are referring the the Senator lounges at FRA. The ones at MUC are way better. The business lounges at FRA often have better food and beverage choices than the ORD GFL. Admittedly they are more crowded, but the ORD GFL can get crowded as well.

It also wasn't meant to be a stirring endorsement of the Senator lounges either, more of a swipe at the quality of almost all the UA lounges and GFLs
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Madone59
I will departing SQ F from SFO, will I be able to access the GFL or only have access to the SQ lounge?
GFL, but you might find the SQ F lounge (there is a separate F room) to be better.
Originally Posted by PittDoc
Similar Q to AAerSTL and jasonvr, but ARRIVING on Int *A 3-class F ticket (LX ZRH-ORD-PIT) and connecting to UA F domestic.

Access to IFL (GFL) at ORD or just United Club (I am *G)? *A website says only "departing" flights but upstream UA T&C's says both directions.
UC, because your long haul F BP is not on UA metal.

Your denial was correct. IME, if arriving in long haul GF on UA metal, you get access to the GF lounge. This has been true for me for ORD, LAX, and IAD. I think she was wrong on that point.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by mre5765
<snip>
IME, if arriving in long haul GF on UA metal, you get access to the GF lounge. This has been true for me for ORD, LAX, and IAD. I think she was wrong on that point.
My experience as well. I have always received access to Global First Lounge when arriving on UA metal.

In fact, last time I arrived at IAD in United Global First, the computer system was down and my name was on a printout at the lounge they were using for access checks....
Old Aug 25, 2012, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
My experience as well. I have always received access to Global First Lounge when arriving on UA metal.

In fact, last time I arrived at IAD in United Global First, the computer system was down and my name was on a printout at the lounge they were using for access checks....
Interesting. The lady in the lounge said they had actually turned away someone earlier in the day after arriving on UA Intl F. So I guess, as with many things in the world of UA now, YMMV
Old Aug 26, 2012, 3:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

I'd take the IAD Senator Lounge over the JFK UA IFL any day.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, FB Gold
LAX IFL access

Hi,
I'm traveling today LAX-SFO-ICN. LAX-SFO is in UA F, and SFO-ICN is in SQ F. I thought the rules said that a same-day international first class ticket got you into first class lounges, so I came here to the LAX IFL and was bounced by the attendant. She said that I only got access at the airport of departure and invited me to use the united club on account of my star gold status. I said I thought she was incorrect based on the star alliance website, and was surprised to see that there was now language (that might have always been there) about access in international J and F only being at the local airport of the flight. Anyway, the attendant let me in anyway, but I'm wondering who was right.

Nce lounge, by the way. Good food and beverage and very quiet. Cleaning and serving staff come to seated customers and offer to serve food and drinks.

Ryan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.