Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 8, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
:-: United's Global First Lounges located at LHR, JFK, ORD, SFO, HKG and NRT are for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First or in International First Class on a Star Alliance member aircraft with more than two classes of service departing that day from that airport.

:-: United's Global First Lounge located at IAD is for the exclusive use of passengers traveling in United's Global First. See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20895856-post36.html for documentation of the exclusion of non-UA F pax from the IAD GFL.
10/31/2013
This has now been confirmed to be false and an incorrect denial by the IAD GFL staff per UA Insider - see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21700252-post535.html

Passengers must be holding a same day ticket for flights departing to/from a Trans Atlantic, Trans Pacific, Southern South America, Africa or a Middle East destination. Passengers connecting to/from other United/United Express flights will be admitted as long as the above requirements are met.

Global Services members can also use Global First Lounges when traveling in BusinessFirst or p.s. (JFK-LAX/SFO) BusinessFirst cabin.

A GS who arrives in BF or GF will be admitted to the GFL. A pax who arrives in GF (Global First - UA operated flight 3-class aircraft) will be admitted to the GFL. A GS or pax who arrives on other metal will not be admitted on that basis.

from United Global First and Arrivals lounges
United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Print Wikipost

Global First Lounge (IFL / GFL) Access Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:35 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Since no shower at LAX GFL, what option is there for a shower after arriving GF from SYD before my connection (with adequate time a given)?
Change routing to SFO and use the arrivals lounge there.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
The wiki does not mention the guests rules. Anyone familiar enough with that to add it?

As far as I know, departing all GF pax can invite one guest if traveling on a Star flight that day. Departing GS in BF cannot invite guests. Don't know about departing international first pax on a Star flight other than UA.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Check it out...

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...ge/access.aspx
Old Apr 18, 2014, 12:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
This is a better link for United Global First and Arrivals lounges
Originally Posted by uanj
The wiki does not mention the guests rules. Anyone familiar enough with that to add it?

As far as I know, departing all GF pax can invite one guest if traveling on a Star flight that day. Departing GS in BF cannot invite guests. Don't know about departing international first pax on a Star flight other than UA.
These eligible United Global First Lounge visitors are allowed one adult or child to accompany them as a guest.
Does address the GS issue direct but seems to make no distinction on entry method.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 18, 2014 at 12:41 pm
Old Apr 19, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Arriving on United metal in F with onward flight - yes, access to GFL.

Does not apply if you arrive on other metal, even JV partners (LH,NH). No access to GFL.
IME, they used to usually waive this rule for JV partners, but recently they seem to be rather strict about it. In fact, if you're inbound on JV F, you don't get any lounge access unless you're *G, which to me seems pretty weird.

Especially, when they're cancelling international routes (e.g. SEA, BKK) and trying to push their pax on to JV metal.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by 5khours
IME, they used to usually waive this rule for JV partners, but recently they seem to be rather strict about it. In fact, if you're inbound on JV F, you don't get any lounge access unless you're *G, which to me seems pretty weird.

Especially, when they're cancelling international routes (e.g. SEA, BKK) and trying to push their pax on to JV metal.
Agreed. Does not make much sense.

Except for the (manual process) use of GPU on single LH segments, I can't think of any difference between JV metal and any other codeshare.
Old May 4, 2014, 11:01 am

Thumbs down No go at LAX today

The dragons at IFL LAX refused me entry because I'm flying F on Air China. No amount of reading their own policy could assist in their comprehension.

No big deal, I'm visiting a friend for a couple hours anyway. I just wanted to check it out.
Old May 4, 2014, 12:38 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Does address the GS issue direct but seems to make no distinction on entry method.
Did you mean does not address GS access? The page does not mention GS access at all, at least not today as I read it.

Originally Posted by Denver Enzo
The dragons at IFL LAX refused me entry because I'm flying F on Air China. No amount of reading their own policy could assist in their comprehension.

No big deal, I'm visiting a friend for a couple hours anyway. I just wanted to check it out.
Departing or arriving? Star policy is departing only, if you are arriving and continuing on a connecting flight you get access to UC only.
Old May 4, 2014, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

Originally Posted by uanj
Did you mean does not address GS access? The page does not mention GS access at all, at least not today as I read it.

Departing or arriving? Star policy is departing only, if you are arriving and continuing on a connecting flight you get access to UC only.
I took is as meaning he was leaving on Air China, but of course could be wrong.
Old May 4, 2014, 1:37 pm

Leaving LAX to PEK in F on Air China. I'm enjoying a Moosehead at the Air Canada zoo in T2 now.
Old May 4, 2014, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Leaving LAX to PEK in F on Air China. I'm enjoying a Moosehead at the Air Canada zoo in T2 now.
That would definitely be a time where I would be asking for a supervisor and standing my ground. The rules are so blatantly clear on this matter. Next we'll hear that the GFL is denying entry to UA pax leaving the local airport in UA GF because....well, I can't come up with an insane enough reason, so we'll just have to wait to see what they come up with
Old May 4, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

Completely different terminal. Why bother with UA GFL?!
Old May 4, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k, BA silver, HH D
I'm assuming id qualify for access at ORD under the rules cited above... Can anyone confirm?

I arrive to ORD in Global first from FRA at ~3pm on Friday and connect to Anchorage the next morning at 10AM in F. Under the 24 hour rule, I should be allowed access, no?

United Global FirstSM Lounge

The United Global First Lounge is an oasis of service and privacy. Tailored to the needs of United Global First customers on long-haul international flights*, we offer personalized services, complimentary hors d'oeuvres and premium beverages.
Access policy

The following customers may access the United Global First lounge by showing their United boarding pass for a flight arriving or departing on a same-day (within 24 hours) itinerary.

United Global First customers traveling on long-haul international flights*
Star Alliance™ First customers departing on international flights

*Long-haul international flights are between the U.S. and Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East or South America.
Old May 4, 2014, 3:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Completely different terminal. Why bother with UA GFL?!
Some people enjoy lounge hopping, I know I do. Plus, I don't believe there's a dedicated First Class lounge in Terminal 2 where Air China flies from. OP even mentioned he had to sit at an overcrowded AC MLL.
Old May 4, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by CMK10
Quote:

Some people enjoy lounge hopping, I know I do. Plus, I don't believe there's a dedicated First Class lounge in Terminal 2 where Air China flies from. OP even mentioned he had to sit at an overcrowded AC MLL.
I do as well, but airports where are terminals are connected airside, not the case at LAX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.