Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
General the answers is ETCs can only be used for UA flights.

Below is a suggestion
Originally Posted by zrs70
My old workaround still works:

Use the voucher to purchase a changeable UA only ticket.

Then use the new ticket and change it to the flights your really want, including the non- UA metal ones.
related thread
Questions/Answers/Rules on Electronic Travel Certificates (vouchers; ecerts)
Print Wikipost

UA Electronic Travel Certificate & Codeshares/partner flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Five Star
There may be a workaround, though it's multi- step:

Part 1
A) online, do an award booking for the route you want.

B) you will have the chance during the booking process to purchase for cash rather than miles. Do this.

C) when you get to the payment page, choose to pay with cash at the airport. This will create a PNR and enable you to hold the ticket

Part 2
book a second online ticket, one that is flexible, and pay with your voucher

Part 3
Call United and give them the second PNR, the one you don't want. Tell them you want to cancel it and use the value toward purchasing the first PNR.

I can't vouch this will work. It is a great workaround when the actual itinerary has at least one UA flight. But the op wants a trip with no UA flight.
Wow, did you figure this out on your own?! Pretty neat!

Do you know if this works (part 2) by buying a nonrefundable ticket and canceling within 24 hours instead of paying the premium for a flexible ticket?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by gtolj2
Wow, did you figure this out on your own?! Pretty neat!

Do you know if this works (part 2) by buying a nonrefundable ticket and canceling within 24 hours instead of paying the premium for a flexible ticket?
Not all flexible tickets are expensive. You can find fairly cheap flexible tickets from Los Angeles to San Francisco.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: Eurobonus EBD, BW Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Plat Amb, HH Diamond
payment at the airport option was missing for me (tried suggestions above)

My additional headache is that I'm a foreigner and they require a credit card from the US and billing address in order to use voucher if price exceeds the voucher value
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:46 am

My old workaround still works:

Use the voucher to purchase a changeable UA only ticket.

Then use the new ticket and change it to the flights your really want, including the non- UA metal ones.
Thanks for sharing. So buy a changeable UA ticket. Change it later to any flight bookable on UA.com. Seems like something one can do entirely online too, yes?
Old Mar 21, 2015, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DBCme
Thanks for sharing. So buy a changeable UA ticket. Change it later to any flight bookable on UA.com. Seems like something one can do entirely online too, yes?
Yes.
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:40 am

I don't think you need to book the first ticket or call in if you can do it all online with the change flight option
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Question using ETC on codeshare

Is it possible to use an ETC on an itinerary with some flights operated by star alliance partners?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by amartin1979
Is it possible to use an ETC on an itinerary with some flights operated by star alliance partners?
The T&C doesn't allow it. Sorry!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amartin1979
Per my posts above, the workaround is cumbersome, but it works.

Just use the voucher to purchase a changeable UA only itinerary. Then use the new itinerary toward the purchase of the ticket you really want.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Per my posts above, the workaround is cumbersome, but it works.

Just use the voucher to purchase a changeable UA only itinerary. Then use the new itinerary toward the purchase of the ticket you really want.
I wasn't able to do it online, but I found a willing agent.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:14 pm

Hello there,

Recently I've received an ETC from UA and I have some questions. So I have a return ticket (first eastbound leg already used) and I want to change my return date from June 29th to May 20th +/- 3days. I am guessing that this will cost me a lot, but I have to do this. Can you use this ETC and kind of make a trade with Customer Service towards lowering ticket cost?
The problem is that return trip is operated entirely by LH IAD-FRA-ZAG but it was purchased through UA page....
I dont fly often on domestic US flights and I always have some codeshare when i fly with UA so I am afraid I can not use it to purchase a flight...

Thanks
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:16 pm

Electronic travel certificate question

I had to cancel an expensive ticket in March due to a medical emergency. I'm doing much better now and have booked a European cruise departing from Barcelona in May.

I am flying from Chicago and of the 4 flights on my itinerary, they are all United except for the Munich - Barcelona flight. The united flight going through Newark is about $900 more than the connecting flight on Lufthansa.

Is there any way to still use my $4000 e cert? The terms say it has to be all United flight, but I hate to pay so much extra just to use the e cert.

Anyone have any tricks to get around this?
Old May 5, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Pay with GC or ETC Gone?

After I select flights, travelers, and seats, I am no longer given the option to pay with a gift certificate or electronic travel certificate. These used to be options along with credit card, etc. I'm not seeing them anymore. Any thoughts?
Old May 5, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Does the trip include flights operated by any carrier other than United?
Old May 5, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Yes, there is a Cape Air flight. Didn't know that that would make it not possible to use GCs or ETCs. Thanks, mherdeg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.