Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

No Show / Skipping / or Flying United Airlines Flight Segment(s) Out of Order?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No Show / Skipping / or Flying United Airlines Flight Segment(s) Out of Order?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2022, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
So what risks are there in a one way award ticket (international) if you drop the married segment after the flight to where you actually want to go.
Old Apr 4, 2022, 4:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by cruisr
So what risks are there in a one way award ticket (international) if you drop the married segment after the flight to where you actually want to go.
Are you checking bags?
The segment you are dropping is the last segment on the ticket?
Do you plan to make this a regular habit?
You are eligible to enter the country?
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Are you checking bags?
The segment you are dropping is the last segment on the ticket?
Do you plan to make this a regular habit?
You are eligible to enter the country?
1. NO
2. Yes
3. No
4. Yes
Old Apr 4, 2022, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by cruisr
1. NO
2. Yes
3. No
4. Yes
then you won't have any issues w/ that strategy
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and cruisr like this.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:41 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Award miles skipping 2 connetion

Any problems with skipping the second connection on award flight YVR FRA CPH. I would do it one way, no checked luggage
I want BC and BC is not offered on YVR FRA non stop but can get it via YYC. Tried booking YVR YYC FRA but then it is not offered, only with a second connetion.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
No as long as you don't do it too often.
Old Apr 28, 2022, 2:24 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by sfo
Any problems with skipping the second connection on award flight YVR FRA CPH. I would do it one way, no checked luggage
I want BC and BC is not offered on YVR FRA non stop but can get it via YYC. Tried booking YVR YYC FRA but then it is not offered, only with a second connetion.
Thanks for your reply. Would probably never do this again, as I like to get as much mileage as I can out of award travel. I would probably go on to CPH but there is a long layover in FRA, so will spend the night and go on by train the next day.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:32 pm

So I booked one of the 60K rewards from XX-IAH-SYD-WLG-BHE. The first two flights are on United, the second two flights are on Air New Zealand. Since then, my plans have changed and I don't really need to go to BHE. I'd like to start my trip on the north island. But I can't just change the flight to drop the BHE flight since United wants to charge 200K points now. Would I be OK just not getting on the WLG to BHE flight?

From what I've read on the boards, I'm assuming I'll have to clear customs in Wellington and get my bags. Then I'd have to go to the domestic terminal for my flight to BHE anyway, right? So I could just pick up my bags and leave the airport.

It's a one way flight. But I did book a separate one way flight home nearly two weeks later (CHC-SYD-IAH-XX). First leg is Air New Zealand, second legs are United. Is there a chance that United would cancel that flight if I skip the last leg of the incoming flight?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by readergirl87
So I booked one of the 60K rewards from XX-IAH-SYD-WLG-BHE. The first two flights are on United, the second two flights are on Air New Zealand. Since then, my plans have changed and I don't really need to go to BHE. I'd like to start my trip on the north island. But I can't just change the flight to drop the BHE flight since United wants to charge 200K points now. Would I be OK just not getting on the WLG to BHE flight?

From what I've read on the boards, I'm assuming I'll have to clear customs in Wellington and get my bags. Then I'd have to go to the domestic terminal for my flight to BHE anyway, right? So I could just pick up my bags and leave the airport.

It's a one way flight. But I did book a separate one way flight home nearly two weeks later (CHC-SYD-IAH-XX). First leg is Air New Zealand, second legs are United. Is there a chance that United would cancel that flight if I skip the last leg of the incoming flight?
With 100% certainly. If you miss any segment the rest of the trip will be cancelled.
My apologies, I missed the reference to one way tickets. You'll be fine. Just to be sure - check your reservation online after the skipped leg just to be sure the return trip is in place, but there's no real reason that it wouldn't be.

Last edited by milepig; Jul 26, 2022 at 2:34 pm
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
So I booked one of the 60K rewards from XX-IAH-SYD-WLG-BHE.

If they are separate bookings you have nothing to worry about.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by milepig
With 100% certainly. If you miss any segment the rest of the trip will be cancelled.
Didn't OP say they have separate tickets and there just dropping the last leg?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
Didn't OP say they have separate tickets and there just dropping the last leg?
That's correct. I have separate tickets. I'd be dropping the last leg of the one to New Zealand.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
That's correct. I have separate tickets. I'd be dropping the last leg of the one to New Zealand.
shouldn’t be an issue, but I’ve always done that on the last leg of my journey. I doubt there could be any repercussions especially with separate tickets. Never did it on the outbound, even the last leg. But hey I wasn’t feeling that well and I didn’t board that flight
Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:26 am

Skipping BRU-FRA connection

I have a BRU-EWR flight coming up that connects in FRA. I'm thinking of going from BRU-FRA a day early, but I haven't tried calling United to have that leg cancelled (if that's even possible), and I can't seem to locate an option to do that under my itinerary.

My question is, will I run into any issues if I simply skip my BRU-FRA leg and arrive on a separate flight the day before? I am not an EU citizen, so I will need to clear customs as well. Just trying to think this through. I would then keep my FRA-EWR flight as-is.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Yes, if you don't get on the BRU-FRA flight the remainder of your itinerary will be cancelled. They will assume you are also not taking the FRA-EWR flight.

You should call to determine whether you can change or cancel the BRU-FRA flight beforehand and figure out the relative expenses involved.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.