Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 16, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread. The active thread is Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass

Chase in conjunction with UA, as a renewal benefit for certain UA MP-branded Chase credit cards, offer one-time United Club (UC) access passes. {Hyatt also offers similar passes for their top elites.} These passes offer one-time access to the UC (with any airline same day BP) on a space-available basis. No guest privileges. The pass is only for UA operated clubs, cannot be used at non-UA operated lounges.

Note: Due to UC renovations and/or Polaris lounge construction, club capacity at most domestic UA hubs is constricted. Leading to some access restrictions for one-time passes -- especially at peak times.
One-Time Passes can now be redeemed at all ORD club location within capacity constraints. Customers are encouraged to use the clubs in B and F concourses as the C concourse club is currently under partial construction, with limited space.
At the EWR clubs in the C concourse, one-time passes are not being accepted when the clubs are approaching capacity.
For SFO, there is no access near the G / international gates for one-time passes. They are being re-directed to the E/F gate UCs.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need the actual paper one-time pass?
Technically, no. All you need is a picture/scan of the pass number and bar code on the back of the day pass. The lounge agent will manually type in the number or ask you to scan the barcode on the scanner. UA states
A valid mobile or paper United Club one-time pass and boarding pass for same-day travel OR
A valid 15-digit one-time pass number and boarding pass for same-day travel
Can I upload/store the one-time pass in the United app?
Sadly, you cannot upload/store paper passes in the United app. However, as of Summer 2017, all new passes issued by the Chase United Explorer card are now loaded directly into the United app.

Can I use these one-time passes at partner/contract/*A lounges?
No. These one-time passes are only used at actual United Club lounges world-wide. Any lounge identified on this page as being operated by "United Club" are eligible for use with one-time passes.

How many people can enter the United Club with one-time access pass?
One person per pass. Exception - UC policy is all children under 2 are not considered a formal guest.
A one-time pass admits one person, with no guests, to a United Club location. Exception: children under 2 years of age may accompany someone accessing a United Club location with a one-time pass.
Can I use one-time pass at multiple United Clubs on the same day?
No. You must surrender your day pass upon entering the club. If you plan to visit multiple United Clubs on the same day, you will need multiple day passes. Some clubs will allow re-entry and/or use of other UA Clubs at same airport -- inquire at the entry desk (it typically involves a stamp on your boarding pass). However, no way to use the same pass at a different airports.

Is a boarding pass required to use a one-time pass at a United Club?
Yes, a same-day boarding pass is required. It can be with any airline until Nov 1, 2019. "Effective November 1, 2019, United Club customers, including members and their guests, and one-time pass holders will need to provide a same-day boarding pass for travel on United, Star Alliance™ or a contracted partner for entry into all United Club locations."

Are in/out privileges allowed when using the one-time pass?
Technically, no. However, it is not out of the realm of possibilty if you ask the lounge attendant. YMMV, though.

Are minors allowed?
Yes, as long as they are accompanied by another person 21 or older. Remember, one day pass per person (lap child excluded).

Can I be denied entry into the United Club?
Yes. If an United Club is at-capacity, it will no longer sell day passes. It will also deny entry to those with one-time passes initially and other eligible travelers ( UC member, *G, premier cabin,...) could be delayed on entering once capacity reaches local limits.

Are expired one-time passes still usable?
Expired one-time passes can be used for a $25 admission fee, up to 30 days after the expiration date.

Can I give my pass to a family member or friend? How?
Yes. You can provide the physical pass to them. You may also provide them with the pdf version of the pass that Chase sends when your card renews, which they can print or scan from their phone. Finally, you can take a screenshot of the pass in the United App and email/message that to your family member. The pass will remain in your United App until it is used by someone else at a club, so it remains available for your use (unlike a physical pass).

I see these passes available for sell on eBay/Craigslist, ...? Are they valid? Is this safe?
It should be noted UA frowns on the third party trading, selling, or bartering of their coupons. As with any transaction of this type, it's always buyer beware; however, reports of issues are very rare.
The current going rate on eBay is $20-30 each for passes with a lengthy expiration date. Passes that expire in a few weeks can be had in the $10-15 range, sometimes even less as the expiration date creeps closer.

I cancelled my Chase United Explorer card. Are my passes still valid?
No. When you cancel your card, any unused one-time passes will be forfeited from your account--even if you printed out the barcode from the United app for later use. The time between card cancellation to pass invalidation is unknown; however, it is suggested that the passes aren't invalid until they disappear from your UA app. This is now an additional risk one needs to be wary about when buying one-time pass barcodes from eBay/Craigslist.

Entry is also available for $59 (as of 02/2016) at the UC itself or by purchasing within the United mobile app.
Print Wikipost

Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:17 am

You can give a screen capture of the bar code. The bar code can be presented in either printed or digital form.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 9:05 am

Last time I did this for a friend, I just bought it via the United App and then screenshot the barcode when done and texted it over. Was no issue. But that was a couple years back in case something has changed.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
5 hours gives plenty of opportunity for other options. Is the UA club the best place to spend the time? Other club passes may be cheaper and better.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:16 am

Does anyone know, now that the Polaris Club has opened, is the United Club at EWR Terminal C accepting one time passes at all, specifically morning? We have a 2 hour and 48 minute connection in EWR, landing at 8:50 am on 7/6/18 and was hoping to use our annual Chase Explorer Card passes there. I saw something about only closing it to one-times during busy times in the afternoon, but the united website just says they are not accepting passes.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by mtcbuilder
Does anyone know, now that the Polaris Club has opened, is the United Club at EWR Terminal C accepting one time passes at all, specifically morning? We have a 2 hour and 48 minute connection in EWR, landing at 8:50 am on 7/6/18 and was hoping to use our annual Chase Explorer Card passes there. I saw something about only closing it to one-times during busy times in the afternoon, but the united website just says they are not accepting passes.
Im here now 7/4/18 at 2pm and used my one time pass at the pop up lounge located next to gate 124. No issues, attendant scanned my pass on my phone as well as my boarding pass.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerTB

Im here now 7/4/18 at 2pm and used my one time pass at the pop up lounge located next to gate 124. No issues, attendant scanned my pass on my phone as well as my boarding pass.
update: it is now 4:15pm and I went to use the restroom out of the lounge since the pop up lounge does not have one. When I came back I noticed that they now have the sign up that they’re not able to accommodate one time passes.

FyI when I first got here the lounge was practically empty. Now, there’s more people but still seats readily available.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Sharing Club Passes with Spouse

I just received my two club passes (I have the United Credit Card). This year they are digital rather than paper cards. My wife is traveling through IAH today and I have the following questions:

1. Can I share one with her?
2. How do I do this?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
1. If by "share" you mean, give to her to use, yes you can.
2. Open UA app, screenshot, and send to her. Clicking "more details" takes you to a screen where only one pass is displayed rather than 2.

*If by "share" you mean both of you utilize one pass? No you cannot.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
1. If by "share" you mean, give to her to use, yes you can.
2. Open UA app, screenshot, and send to her. Clicking "more details" takes you to a screen where only one pass is displayed rather than 2.

*If by "share" you mean both of you utilize one pass? No you cannot.
Thanks. I just wanted to giver her one to use.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by salisboss
Thanks. I just wanted to giver her one to use.
Just be careful in promising anything.. as most clubs are just permanently putting up the "not accepting Chase passes at this time" sign.

Did this with mine at EWR and she was turned away.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Tblack15
Just be careful in promising anything.. as most clubs are just permanently putting up the "not accepting Chase passes at this time" sign.
I haven't seen such a sign anywhere.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 10:14 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
as most clubs are just permanently putting up the "not accepting Chase passes at this time" sign.

Did this with mine at EWR and she was turned away.
Most clubs?

Or, one club?
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Just be careful in promising anything.. as most clubs are just permanently putting up the "not accepting Chase passes at this time" sign. Did this with mine at EWR and she was turned away.

Originally Posted by ajGoes
I haven't seen such a sign anywhere.
EWR for over a year now.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Most clubs? Or, one club?

EWR C concourse has had them up on a 'temporary" basis for over a year so basically permanent. I for one thought that with the opening of the Polaris lounge they might come down but not as of 2 weeks ago. On some of the busy hubs (IAD, IAH, and SFO) I've seen them up intermittently but not permanently. Though to be fair IME, the signs seem to be up during the hours when most travelers would want to use them. I've never seen them limit access at CLE, not that there is any reason it should be with how little traffic that fairly large EXCO club is! I'm sure many of the non-hub clubs are similar to CLE.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
"Permanent" is untruthful. "Extended period" isn't. No need to state that UA will never again allow the passes at EWR (unless you are privy to some announcement UA has made that everyone else is unaware of).

SFO limited passes for a year. Was that "basically permanent"?

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 18, 2018 at 12:53 pm
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Most clubs?

Or, one club?
I can rephrase.. "HUB CLUBS"

EWR always. SFO, ORD and IAH all had these signs for me in the last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.