FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1956614-questions-regarding-united-club-one-time-pass-archive.html)

muji Jan 5, 2012 10:47 pm

Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass {Archive}

Received a letter today from Chase/Continental thanking me for having had the OnePass credit card (had it & closed it last year). The letter says "enclosed are your anniversary benefits...when you renew your OnePass card membership..." Enclosed are two "travel discount certificates" as well as two "one-time passes for United Club".

I do not plan on renewing the card (which I actually have already closed months ago). There is nothing on the passes which indicate I need to be a current OnePass cardholder (or need to present my OnePass card along with the passes in order to gain club access).

The passes state: "This pass grants one person one-time access to United Club". If I use the passes would I likely simply hand the club staff the pass - or would they require a check to see if I am a current OnePass cardholder, etc.?

muji Jan 5, 2012 10:47 pm

Questions Regarding the United Club one-time pass {Archive}

Received a letter today from Chase/Continental thanking me for having had the OnePass credit card (had it & closed it last year). The letter says "enclosed are your anniversary benefits...when you renew your OnePass card membership..." Enclosed are two "travel discount certificates" as well as two "one-time passes for United Club".

I do not plan on renewing the card (which I actually have already closed months ago). There is nothing on the passes which indicate I need to be a current OnePass cardholder (or need to present my OnePass card along with the passes in order to gain club access).

The passes state: "This pass grants one person one-time access to United Club". If I use the passes would I likely simply hand the club staff the pass - or would they require a check to see if I am a current OnePass cardholder, etc.?

ckpeter Jan 5, 2012 11:45 pm

Does the passes have your name on it? Do the terms prohibit you from giving the pass to someone else?

If the pass can be a gift, then I don't see how they can enforce the card-holder requirement. In any case, my guess is that you can use them even without the card.

mia Jan 6, 2012 8:09 am

Moderator action

Moved to UA forum because discussion pertains to club admission, the source of the passes is incidental.

muji Jan 6, 2012 8:21 am

Originally Posted by ckpeter (Post 17758308)
Do the passes have your name on it? Do the terms prohibit you from giving the pass to someone else?

They have no names on them (but there is a blank line where you are to fill in the "United Club Guest Name"), so it appears that they can be used by, and even given to, anyone. (They also have a scannable barcode - so I wonder if upon scanning the passes the club staff might then say the passes are invalid since the scan shows that the person does not have a OnePass account.)

I'm wondering if others have received this same letter with its discount offer and these passes.

ckpeter Jan 6, 2012 8:28 am

Originally Posted by muji (Post 17760109)
They have no names on them (but there is a blank line where you are to fill in the "United Club Guest Name"), so it appears that they can be used by, and even given to, anyone. (They also have a scannable barcode - so I wonder if upon scanning the passes the club staff might then say the passes are invalid since the scan shows that the person does not have a OnePass account.)

I'm wondering if others have received this same letter with its discount offer and these passes.

I would highly doubt that the systems are that sophisticated to track whether a pass is linked to an active credit account. It wouldn't make sense for the companies to build a complex system only for a limited-circulation pass that costs them a few dollars.

My suggestion is for you to just fill in your name and go in. If there is any trouble, you can always say that this was a gift.

I will probably be receiving one of those soon. If you have any trouble using them, I would certainly appreciate if you could post back.

danpeake Jan 6, 2012 9:43 am

I got two of these and then cancelled my OnePass card. When I went to a United Club (after the OnePass credit card account had been closed and the cards were destroyed) I handed the club passes to the agent at the door, she had me sign the back, and I was granted access. It was very simple. I think you won't have a problem using them.

bj2757 Jan 6, 2012 10:47 am

I actually received 3 of them - guess they were sticky - for a card I cancelled earlier in the fall. Only got them for me - we also canx Mrs bj2757's card at the same time - guess they figure she's really gone. Our's were the Continental Cards - we still have fairly new United cards (that I wish I didn't have so I could get the even better United card).

filelover Jan 6, 2012 3:23 pm

Got these two. My card is coming to the 1 yr mark (plan on canceling it). Looks like these can be used by anyone.

Originally Posted by muji (Post 17758152)

RNE Jan 6, 2012 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by danpeake (Post 17760671)
I got two of these and then cancelled my OnePass card. When I went to a United Club (after the OnePass credit card account had been closed and the cards were destroyed) I handed the club passes to the agent at the door, she had me sign the back, and I was granted access. It was very simple. I think you won't have a problem using them.

That's good to know, especially because it flies in the face of the T&C (bolding mine).

You will receive two (2) Club passes after account opening and every account anniversary thereafter. Please allow 8 – 10 weeks after account opening for delivery of Club passes. Please allow 2 – 4 weeks from your credit card account anniversary date each year thereafter for delivery. Club passes cannot be shipped to PO Boxes or addresses outside the 50 United States and Washington D.C. To qualify for this bonus offer, your credit card account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. Valid when presented at any United Club location. Each pass is valid for one (1) guest for one (1) visit. United Club representatives will retain this certificate. No cash value. Cannot be replaced if lost or stolen. All United Club membership guidelines apply. Chase is not responsible for offer fulfillment.

I received two cards myself and gave them to my son shortly thereafter, so I don't have them to refer to now, but would someone who still has a card check to see if there is any kind of serial number on it? If not, then I would suppose you're good to go because how else could COdbaUA know a particular card is associated with a closed account and therefore invalid?

okrogius Jan 6, 2012 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 17763435)
That's good to know, especially because it flies in the face of the T&C (bolding mine).

Fulfillment in your quote can very easily refer to printing/mailing of passes (versus redemption at a club).

RNE Jan 6, 2012 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by okrogius (Post 17763466)
Fulfillment in your quote can very easily refer to printing/mailing of passes (versus redemption at a club).

Perhaps, but it's a stretch and we still need to settle the serial number question. Anyone?

LarkSFO Jan 6, 2012 7:48 pm

I received this mailing today as well - 2 "One-Time Passes" and 2 "Travel Discount Certificates".

One-Time Passes have three different identifiiers on the back.

1) A bar code
2) A number above the bar code (which is the same on both passes)
3) A C00xxxxx number to the left which is different on each card

There are brief T&C's on the back of the card, but none of them refer to whether this card is transferable.

The two discount certificates:

$25 off a flight $175 - $274
$50 off a flight $275 - $399
$100 off a flight $400 or more

Must be a R/T ticket
Must include a Sat night stay, book 14 days in advance
Not valid with W / S / T / L / K or G class fares

I am going to keep this card, by the way, for the time being (along with my MP Visa Signature).

Air Houston Jan 6, 2012 9:37 pm

Most likely the passes are sent out periodically as part of a batch process bulk mailing. If your anniversary is coming up soon and your batch is due to be processed - even if it isnt yet due to be mailed - you might get the mailing for a card that has been cancelled.

ckpeter Jan 6, 2012 10:23 pm

On a side note, can someone post when these passes expire? Is it one year from issue (12 months) or valid until end of next year (2013 for those received in 2012)?