Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"This is not a Boarding Pass" - What is required for international online checkin?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:45 pm
21A

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.2.1; en-us; Galaxy Nexus Build/JOP40D) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Originally Posted by njcommodore
Does UA have a presence at your origin? You can go to a UA kiosk there to get your BP.
No, you can't. UA kiosks will only pull up a reservation where the UA segments start from the point where the kiosk is located. Presumably an agent could help, though.

Last edited by 21A; Dec 2, 2012 at 1:21 am
Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by qfrodo
It has to do with airlines facing fines if undocumented passengers show up at a port of entry. Airlines arriving in the US could be fined $3000.00 per person under the INA last I knew, I imagine other countries have similar laws/regulations in place. On my flights to Brazil they even do a second document check at the gate.
True, but every other airline manages to avoid these fines with checks at the gate, or sometime before, of the actual boarding pass.

Boy - read through the whole thread, and trying to discern a pattern.

How's this, for someone on a US passport

1) Does the country you are traveling to require a visa? If yes, no OLCI.

2) Have you used this passport to travel internationally in the last 3-6 months on United? If no, no OLCI.

3) Is your luck bad? If yes, no OLCI.*

*This is the mystery one--the first two criteria seem straightforward and no reported exceptions. But if 1 and 2 are met, why are so many people having bad luck?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 18, 2012 at 9:28 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 18, 2012, 9:42 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
My wife hadn't traveled internationally post-3/3, so it was of little surprise that her outbound refused to complete OLCI. What was surprising was that her return also refused to complete OLCI, despite UA now having her passport info (again) and having verified it a week earlier.

Mine worked fine both ways, with prior international travel on UA back in April.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 11:00 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by drewguy
3) Is your luck bad? If yes, no OLCI.*

*This is the mystery one--the first two criteria seem straightforward and no reported exceptions. But if 1 and 2 are met, why are so many people having bad luck?
ZERO checkins with many int'l trips this and last year

Correct info already on UA site, but no dice

Originally Posted by exerda
What was surprising was that her return also refused to complete OLCI, despite UA now having her passport info (again) and having verified it a week earlier.

Mine worked fine both ways, with prior international travel on UA back in April.
Return has NEVER worked for me with CO or UA. KL, OTOH, worked 10 years ago, both ways

And on my last trip even a trip to the airport day before (less than 24 hours prior to departure) didn't help "I'm sorry sir, you will have to checkin tomorrow before your flight."

EmailKid
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by exerda
My wife hadn't traveled internationally post-3/3, so it was of little surprise that her outbound refused to complete OLCI. What was surprising was that her return also refused to complete OLCI, despite UA now having her passport info (again) and having verified it a week earlier.

The same thing just happened to me. I've been traveling almost monthly internationally, but for my latest trip it wouldn't let me get my boarding pass although it did for mr. eerickso. When I looked at my profile, it had dumped all my passport information. Even though I reentered it, it still would not let me complete online check-in.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by EmailKid
And on my last trip even a trip to the airport day before (less than 24 hours prior to departure) didn't help "I'm sorry sir, you will have to checkin tomorrow before your flight."
Clearly, you were the victim of a MOLA. In such a case, IF YOU ARE AT A STATION WITH UA EMPLOYEES, best to get a SD to check you in. If not, then you're likely outta luck.

Dave

Originally Posted by eerickso
When I looked at my profile, it had dumped all my passport information. Even though I reentered it, it still would not let me complete online check-in.
Not a new phenomenon. Sadly.
Dave

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 21, 2012 at 10:44 am Reason: merge
Old Dec 21, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
So if you can't check-in online, is using Mr Chicken at the airport sufficient or do you need to see an agent for an international check-in if your passport info gets "lost"?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by hans
Is using Mr Chicken at the airport sufficient or do you need to see an agent for an international check-in if your passport info gets "lost"?
IME, using the Sleazy Chicken is sufficient as you swipe your passport.

Dave
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH
Help Unable to Check-In

I'm trying to check-in on a EWR-FRA flight. I get the following message:

--------------------
The documents requested will be sent to the email address:

[email protected]

These travelers are not eligible for boarding passes at this time:
-------------------------
I called UA and they were not able to check me in either. They told me to wait for an hour and try again. I have been trying this for the last 1.5 hours without any luck. I have requested a GPU upgrade and I see that other people have checked-in and waitlisted. I'm afraid that if I am not able to check-in, my chances of the upgrade are completely shot. Please help.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
ok. Deep breathe. Relax.

(I too have a flight that leaves at about 1 PM tomorrow and am not able to check in via the web and get an error message. But my upgrades all cleared and I can see that.)

That said. The web check in has not functioned at a 45% clip or so for me (I fly at least on a weekly basis) in 2012. Nothing new.

All is good. Feel free to give them a call to make sure you are still in the flight, but if you were not you would have gotten an email to call them...
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:28 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is this potentially related to the passport verification which can only be done at the airport?

As far as the delayed check-in, at this point most remaining upgrades will not clear until near departure -- after you have had a chance to check-in and get on the waitlist.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Why not just check in at the airport....if you're worried, perhaps arrive a few minutes early?

Hardly worth call and/or stressing over.

It is unlikely that the errors you're experiencing with web check-in will impact the success of your upgrade. In my experience it's likely a passport/visa issue or a ticket being out of sync with your reservation. Upgrades either process in advance of the flight (which is not impacted by check-in) or at the gate (at which point you'll be checked-in). Perhaps, in the end, check-in time is a tie breaker (assuming premier level & fare class are equal) but it's a bit dramatic to say your chances are shot.

Finally, EWR-FRA isn't that bad in E+.

Last edited by kenn0223; Jan 6, 2013 at 6:39 pm
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Is this potentially related to the passport verification which can only be done at the airport?

As far as the delayed check-in, at this point most remaining upgrades will not clear until near departure -- after you have had a chance to check-in and get on the waitlist.
Yes, you are absolutely right. It is related to the passport verification. But I don't recall getting this information anytime in the past. Just flew TATL 3 weeks ago, same sector. The only difference was that I was on C and not waitlisted for any kind.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by kenn0223

Finally, EWR-FRA isn't that bad in E+.
I agree. I have done E+ several times. But on a different post I had mentioned that this is a personal trip. I have a 4 hour drive at FRA and planning to head back on Wednesday. So a little comfort would be a nice to have. If it does not work out, e+ it is.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 6:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by acader
Yes, you are absolutely right. It is related to the passport verification. But I don't recall getting this information anytime in the past. Just flew TATL 3 weeks ago, same sector. ....
yes, the system is know for dropping passport verification and re-requiring airport verification.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-checkin.html

Originally Posted by kenn0223
... Finally, EWR-FRA isn't that bad in E+.
a matter of opinion ,
certainty if given a choice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.