Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Another Global First omen....AA pulling First

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another Global First omen....AA pulling First

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 9:29 am

On a related note, on yesterday's UA 257 JFK-SFO, the pre-flight announcement included a push for customers to go to ualsurvey.com and weigh in on "keeping the 3-class ps. service"... I was in 1D and from the murmur in first, people were not happy about the chance that it could go away.
Old May 10, 2012, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
While I am among those who likes the "twin" seats on the windows on outer aisles, it will great not having 5 seats in the middle aisle on these planes.

Otherwise, of course, it's one 10-across vs another 10-across configuration.
Old May 10, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
While I am among those who likes the "twin" seats on the windows on outer aisles, it will great not having 5 seats in the middle aisle on these planes.

Otherwise, of course, it's one 10-across vs another 10-across configuration.
2-5-2 = 9
3-4-3 = 10

Old May 10, 2012, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by ULMFlyer
2-5-2 = 9
3-4-3 = 10

Nice...ha ha...my bad!
Old May 10, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
3-4-3 is still purely speculative. Nothing in the linked article confirms this - the speculation is based on the "up to 170 in MC" and "up to 45 in MCE" from the press release relative to the existing 190. That could mean 45 MCE and <170 regular Y, or 170 Y and <45 MCE - or any combination in between.

Now, it is possible that 3-4-3 will happen, but nothing posted thus far supports the unequivocal statement that AA is going to 3-4-3 on all 777s. :
Old May 10, 2012, 9:51 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by entropy
Clearly a couple on vacation is much more likely to pay an extra 20-50% for a quality Y+ than 3-5X the price for C.
Except premium Y is typically not 20-50% more than regular Y. On VS and BA it's more like twice as much, if not even more. On TK it's about 75% more. Even the 75% premium is hard for a family on vacation to swallow, and twice as much puts it out of range (at least for me!).

This is really the gamble: it costs airlines to reduce the number of passengers per flight, and they aren't all convinced that there will be enough pax willing to pay a sufficiently high premium to make up the difference.

Eliminating First Class makes sense because companies generally won't pay for it. But many will pay for Business, and all will pay for Economy. So, by getting rid of First and instead making Business really nice, they attract customers. The question is whether enough companies will spring for Premium Economy for trips they'd normally require to be in Economy: if they do, as Premium Economy becomes more common, airlines without it will be at a substantial competitive disadvantage.
Old May 10, 2012, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
SQ MGMNT has told me they have a VERY strict policy of NO op ups, no upgrades and don't even allow award redemption into the F cabin on the 77W and 380. They feel it dilutes the value and would rather have the flight go with F-0 and Y/C oversold leaving pax on the ground. This business model seems to work for them
All well and good except for the fact that this is NOT a strict policy.
I know this from multiple personal experiences.
Dave
Old May 10, 2012, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by scnzzz
3-4-3 is still purely speculative. Nothing in the linked article confirms this - the speculation is based on the "up to 170 in MC" and "up to 45 in MCE" from the press release relative to the existing 190. That could mean 45 MCE and <170 regular Y, or 170 Y and <45 MCE - or any combination in between.

Now, it is possible that 3-4-3 will happen, but nothing posted thus far supports the unequivocal statement that AA is going to 3-4-3 on all 777s. :
Allow me to remedy that, then: a industry analyst also privy to the information Cranky had, quoting an AA executive.

https://twitter.com/#!/hharteveldt/s...67948663914496

Got confirmation from @AmericanAir VP-Mktg: AA to offer 3-3-3 seating in Main Cabin Extra on 777s, to go to 3-4-3 in regular economy.
This also makes a PE product on AA somewhat feasible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.