Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premiere Accelerator Rates [2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Award/Premiere Accelerator Rates [2012]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Last years offers we're a UA only product. I had some TPAC reservations with offers of almost 100,000 miles. Also, UA only sold Award miles. They didn't have these ridiculous CO offers to "up it" to include Status miles towards 1K which IMHO is "cheating" or at least ruining the integrity of the 1K program

Now that we have SHARES and CO, The product is different. You can only buy the same or double the mileage the tkt would earn, the prices keep changing and make no sense..........and WORST of all you can turn them into Status miles towards 1K and buy your way into"Elite" status

THE 1K program USED to have integrity. There are stories of people who flew 99,995 miles and asked for a waiver but were turned down.
OLD 1K. FLY 100,000 miles, NO OTHER WAY
OLD MM. FLY 1 MM ON UA METAL ONLY, NO BONUSES, NO OTHER WAY

The New CO way no longer rewards loyalty. It rewards anyone who can "pay" there way into any level they like
Are you going to ever post "after" looking up the facts, or just post whatever comes to mind, despite its inaccuracy?

1. You cannot buy Elite miles to get to 1K.
2. Elite miles are 10 cents each - to even get to Plat would cost $7,500.
3. New UA does not count bonuses or partner flights for MM.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer
I planned to pay for Award Accelerator on an upcoming DEN-SIN trip. So, did UA just bump up the cost or does it get more expensive as you get closer to your travel date? I just went to purchase and it appears to have almost doubled in price????

This sucks (like much of the new United). I was going to do this, but not at this price.

Has anyone else had this experience?

Thanks for the insight.
Not seeing an answer here as to why buying award accelerator jumped in price? I was previously seeing 60,000 miles for about .015/cpm and now its up to .025/cpm. From about $900 to $1500 for triple miles on my DEN-SIN flight. I realize these are not elite miles. I'm looking to use them for award redemption (Int. business or first).
Old May 17, 2012, 8:48 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aacharya
But you can buy Premier Accelerator miles to get 1K. UA Insider has explicitly indicated that (well, the post I found said they were still debating the thresholds but that for now it could be used for anything, meaning yes, 1K also), and others have linked to her post in the various accelerator threads.

It is just the Flex PQM from certain Chase cards which can't be used for 1K.

Not seeing an answer here as to why buying award accelerator jumped in price? I was previously seeing 60,000 miles for about .015/cpm and now its up to .025/cpm. From about $900 to $1500 for triple miles on my DEN-SIN flight. I realize these are not elite miles. I'm looking to use them for award redemption (Int. business or first).
Because they can?

If you see an Award Accelerator offer you like, buy it, because not only can the rates change, but the amounts of miles offered can change, too.

Last edited by exerda; May 17, 2012 at 10:53 am
Old May 17, 2012, 10:14 am

Are you going to ever post "after" looking up the facts, or just post whatever comes to mind, despite its inaccuracy?

You should look up the facts. Only FLEX PQMs (the kind earned on certain UA/CO credit cards) are capped at Platinum. Purchased Elite Maximizer PQMs can definitely be used all the way up to 1K. If you have the cash but aren't flying this year for some reason you can effectively buy 1k for $10,000. As a practical matter, I doubt many will do so, maybe one or two people.
Old May 17, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA, UA Plat, HH Gold, Marriott Amb
Here's another one I haven't seen before. I have a RT ORD-NRT the first week of June. When originally booked, the miles available for purchase were directly linked to the RT distance of the trip -- 12,548.

After reading this thread I looked at my reservations. Now the miles offered are an even 30000 or 45000, priced at $750 and $1125 respectively for a cost of 2.5cpm. Premier Add-on was 10cpm.

Mileage for a domestic turn next week are 2x and 3x the actual RT mileage.
Old May 17, 2012, 2:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mmayer
Here's another one I haven't seen before. I have a RT ORD-NRT the first week of June. When originally booked, the miles available for purchase were directly linked to the RT distance of the trip -- 12,548.

After reading this thread I looked at my reservations. Now the miles offered are an even 30000 or 45000, priced at $750 and $1125 respectively for a cost of 2.5cpm. Premier Add-on was 10cpm.....
waitlisted segments count into the offered total and can boost the numbers quite a bit
Old May 17, 2012, 3:22 pm
RNE

I was previously seeing 60,000 miles for about .015/cpm...
If you really saw a price that low, then you saw something I've never seen and never heard of anyone else seeing; you should have jumped on the $900 for all those miles.
Old May 17, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA life gold, UA/CO life Presidents/United Club since 1965; Marriott life titanium, HH diamond
Originally Posted by RNE
The effective cost can dip below 2-cents per mile if you buy the miles with a miles-earning credit card. ^
Good point -- and although I tend to save up reward miles for overseas business class flights, the 2 cpm is a genuine bargain for use in high price domestic markets: example: My wife will accompany me on a MSY-YYC RT in June, and the lowest price is about $800 which would earn her only about 4500 miles -- 18cpm!

But I currently have a TPAC flight booked for September, and am being offered 40k miles for $800, 60k for $1200, which is 2 cpm. (also offered the same EQM miles for 10 cpm, as others have reported).

So if we spend the $800 on the miles (using the right credit card) instead of a ticket, and use 25k reward miles for her ticket, there will be a net gain of 5-10k miles -- and since she's also P1k we have flexibility to change the itinerary at no cost if our plans should change.
Old May 17, 2012, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MRP Platinum, Marriott Vacation Club Chairman, SPG Platinum, Cunard Platinum,
Originally Posted by flymexico2010
Strange enough I was offered 13k RDM for 285 USD....last week for an international trip to EU.
I login today and I am offered 15k RDM for 300 USD....is this price good?
$300/15000=$.02 cpm which is a good rate. I bought a lot of RDMs for $02.5 cpm awhile ago if that gives you an idea of the value. At that time I thought they were a good buy and I bought in to lock in that rate. Now it looks like I paid $150 too much on 30,000 miles
Old May 17, 2012, 4:00 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mmayer

After reading this thread I looked at my reservations. Now the miles offered are an even 30000 or 45000, priced at $750 and $1125 respectively for a cost of 2.5cpm. Premier Add-on was 10cpm.

Mileage for a domestic turn next week are 2x and 3x the actual RT mileage.
Almost all of my itins have changed to the fixed miles vs. 2x/3x miles options. I have no clue as to the logic behind it.
Old May 17, 2012, 4:01 pm

Purchase Elite Miles on the new UA, like old CO?

Does anyone know if you can purchase EQM (PQM) on a UA flight, then cancel the actual flight but pay for and keep the EQM, like you used to be able to do when booking a CO ticket? Comes in handy if short of EQM/PQM for your desired status.
Old May 17, 2012, 4:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Yes, you can. The process is essentially identical.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!
Old May 17, 2012, 4:05 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD

My facts are right on!!

1. You CAN now buy Elite miles to get to 1K

2. Elite miles are .10-.12 each. So what? I never said what they cost, just that you CAN buy them

3. New UA does not count bonuses. I'm aware of that. I said "LAST YEAR" CO allowed bonuses which ruined the integrity of the program (IMO) others may disagree

So, yes. I check my facts before writing "what comes to mind". Suggest you do same and/or read EXACTLY what I said

Originally Posted by exerda
But you can buy Premier Accelerator miles to get 1K. UA Insider has explicitly indicated that (well, the post I found said they were still debating the thresholds but that for now it could be used for anything, meaning yes, 1K also), and others have linked to her post in the various accelerator threads.

It is just the Flex PQM from certain Chase cards which can't be used for 1K.

Because they can?

If you see an Award Accelerator offer you like, buy it, because not only can the rates change, but the amounts of miles offered can change, too.
I know, but I'm the "idiot" for not checking MY facts. Gotta love these people that jump on a thread, flame someone, and disappear into cyberspace

Originally Posted by exerda
Almost all of my itins have changed to the fixed miles vs. 2x/3x miles options. I have no clue as to the logic behind it.
The price seems to go lower if you have a partner carrier on an int itin

From what I've seen

.025-.03 Domestic
..021-.025 INTERNATIONAL
.02 INT w FOREIGN PARTNER

Please correct me if anyone have seen different then this

Originally Posted by RNE
If you really saw a price that low, then you saw something I've never seen and never heard of anyone else seeing; you should have jumped on the $900 for all those miles.
They were as low as .015 on the old UA web site.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 17, 2012 at 11:17 pm Reason: merge
Old May 17, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yes, you can. The process is essentially identical.

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!
Can you provide a link!!!!! Many thanks!!!! Want to check it out!!!!
Old May 17, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by bcj1949
Can you provide a link!!!!! Many thanks!!!! Want to check it out!!!!
The link appears on every itinerary you have booked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.