Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Award/Premiere Accelerator Rates [2012]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines Award/Premiere Accelerator Rates [2012]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:08 pm

Programs: UAL 1K
Originally Posted by EmailKid
No. Only up to Prem Plat.

EmailKid
from where are you getting this rule? does not track to what I have been told by many an agent and online itself.

this would be a major change how did you source the answer?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 11:10 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ekim
from where are you getting this rule? does not track to what I have been told by many an agent and online itself.

this would be a major change how did you source the answer?
please the rest of the thread where multiple folks corrected this mis-statement. And
Originally Posted by EmailKid
OK, I stand corrected

EmailKid
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Here's some more data. I needed 27K PQM to make 1K this year without buying more tickets and 90K RDM for a standard C award to HKG.

So I found a combination that would get me 26K PQM + 90K RDM. After buying 20K PQM at 7.5 c/m, the last 6K was 8.5 c/m. The price of the RDMs didn't change. So UA IT can fiddle with the pricing in real time.

The final price was very little more money than buying a Y+ ticket on CX.

Anyhow, ... I start looking at awards to HKG for the time I have to be there and find SAVER F, which worked fine for me.

Thanks, Jeff.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: UA, 1K
So I found a combination that would get me 26K PQM + 90K RDM. After buying 20K PQM at 7.5 c/m, the last 6K was 8.5 c/m. The price of the RDMs didn't change. So UA IT can fiddle with the pricing in real time.
So, let me get this straight. UA IT can't get miles to post properly (let alone timely), can't get reservations to ticket instantaneously, wait-listed instrument supported upgrades to clear within T-24, instruments to process properly (many instances of RN>0 and upgrades not processing), instruments to be re-deposited automatically... BUT, they can adjust PQM prices in real time and take away bonus miles..Nice: shows you where the company's priorities are (hint: not with customer service or over-entitled elites).

Safe flying to all
Old Jul 30, 2012, 9:02 am

When trying to decide whether it's "worth it" to buy PQMs rather than take a MR, I look at both the airfare as well as any additional costs involved (e.g., hotel, taxis, meals, etc.). A transcon MR can often be done same-day (from the East coast) and would likely be cost-effective. But a big bundle MR to HKG, for example, can run up the tab and purchasing PQMs might be the way to go.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:23 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Looking over my offers at the moment, I have one which would almost yield 1K for under $10k in a single trip.

IAD-BKK (~21k PQM for my routing, available for $1.5k on my dates right now) ... with an accelerator offer of 75k more miles for a total of $7950. All-in, that would be about 9.9 cpm for the 96k RDM, and for a 1K. One would only need a transcon to top out to 1K after that. Or, of course, one could cancel the itin and just take the PQM, then book something else for the remaining 25k.

I am actually considering buying on a shorter trip to mitigate the chances of a late-year "audit" by MP stripping me of full-Y bonus on an irrops flight or some other adjustment with no time to react to. I could also go ahead and secure 1K without booking any additional travel (I'm at about 91k counting booked trips at the moment), I suppose, but I actually *like* to travel.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Originally Posted by JetAway
When trying to decide whether it's "worth it" to buy PQMs rather than take a MR, I look at both the airfare as well as any additional costs involved (e.g., hotel, taxis, meals, etc.). A transcon MR can often be done same-day (from the East coast) and would likely be cost-effective. But a big bundle MR to HKG, for example, can run up the tab and purchasing PQMs might be the way to go.
Well put. UA makes this kind of decision messier all the time.

The killer for me with an MR is usually time. I get little enough time off on the weekends and a transcon MR counts as work for me. If I'm 5K short or less, I cash in a few Visa choices, which I will do this year (in December!) to make up the last 1K pqm I will need.

The AA EXP offer and the novelty of the PQM accelerator (at least for this PMUA flyer) made my personal calculation more complicated.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:35 pm

Rate Difference

I just noticed that my wife (no status) on same itinerary can buy premier accelerator miles in total for 8 cents per mile while I am 1K and for the same trip, they want 13.5 per mile.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, BAEC Silver, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-gold, SPG-gold
punished for being 1K

I just took a look at my reservations and my MP# was not listed on it. When I added my MP#, the price of the EQM and PQM's more than doubled. Seeing a whopping .23/mile.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
So the new UA will display a price, then increase it when you enter your credentials?

In most places that is a crime. Worth reporting to the authorities?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by smitty06
I just took a look at my reservations and my MP# was not listed on it. When I added my MP#, the price of the EQM and PQM's more than doubled. Seeing a whopping .23/mile.
Try re-loading the page. That often "re-sets" it to the the correct amount. There seems to be a glitch in the system.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by JetAway
Do you value your time during MRs as well?

Originally Posted by harryhv
Elite status isn't protected by the DoT.

Originally Posted by smitty06
I've noticed this happen on my award itineraries, but not on revenue itineraries.

Originally Posted by dulcamara
Well put. UA makes this kind of decision messier all the time.

The killer for me with an MR is usually time. I get little enough time off on the weekends and a transcon MR counts as work for me. If I'm 5K short or less, I cash in a few Visa choices, which I will do this year (in December!) to make up the last 1K pqm I will need.

The AA EXP offer and the novelty of the PQM accelerator (at least for this PMUA flyer) made my personal calculation more complicated.
If you're switching to AA (or at least hopefully have done the match and tried a few flights), why bother giving $mi$ek more money for a shiny piece of plastic?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 9:44 pm

Programs: United 1k
Originally Posted by harryhv
So the new UA will display a price, then increase it when you enter your credentials?

I noticed the same thing yesterday, from what I have observed, general members have lower rates than Elites....
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MK19791980
I noticed the same thing yesterday, from what I have observed, general members have lower rates than Elites....
Not sure this is true in general -- elites are getting higher mileage offers but best I can tell from data on FT the cpms are similiar.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by danray
I just noticed that my wife (no status) on same itinerary can buy premier accelerator miles in total for 8 cents per mile while I am 1K and for the same trip, they want 13.5 per mile.
+1 Non Status sister has an offer of 3 cents, Premier Acc. plus 6 cents for a total of 9 cents for Non-Elite on trip tomorrow!

Last edited by artyam; Aug 4, 2012 at 12:20 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.