Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Said to Talk Exclusively With Boeing on 200 Jets (BusinessWeek Article)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:27 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.77MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by B787938
Don't forget that Larry Kellner was appointed as a director at Boeing last year.
Ah, didn't know that. Certainly makes things a bit more interesting.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by ACVBear
and count me as one who things the A319/320 are more comfortable than the 737s.
+1

Wider seat, roomier, quieter.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Continental has been exclusively a Boeing customer for the last 20-odd years. Now that most of the CO management is running the new United, it wouldn't surprise anyone if they continue the exclusivity.

I don't think negotiating leverage is an issue - there are many other points for negotiation besides 'I'm talking to Airbus'.

On a personal note, this would make me very happy.... I'd much rather see the business stay with Boeing. Not an Airbus fan.
The merits of Airbus and Boeing aside (there are pluses and minuses to each, IMHO), the history of the relationship between CO and Boeing goes back to the beginning of Gordon Bethune's tenure as CEO.

Bethune had been an executive at Boeing when he was hired at CO. The airline was still very much struggling at the time, and when Bethune got to CAL, he agreed to a formal exclusivity agreement with Boeing in return for a lot of financial support on the part of Boeing.

Later that exclusivity was ruled illegal, but was maintained as what is known as a "gentlemen's agreement."

Whether the current deal with Boeing in fact has any connection to the gentlemen's agreement is very hard to know, since this agreement, by its very nature, is murky and out of the public view.

But let's just say that once CAL turned the corner, it was clear that it was their turn to pay Boeing back for helping to save the airline, and that may still be a part of the equation here...
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Though no talk of widebodies here -- when I saw the headline before story got printed thought that would be referenced as well.

Theoretically that's still a two horse mixed race.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by walkerci
I love the way the consider new 737s an upgrade over the 757-200.

757 can board behind the front cabin.

For this alone, the 737 is inferior.
I hate it when kettles constantly bump into me and my seat, while boarding.
http://www.gulfstream.com/ :P

The main reason I dislike the 757 is that it takes too darn long to board. Though the longer 737 variants aren't much better in this regard.

On the matter of "losing leverage", I'm sure that everybody in the negotiation knows perfectly well that even if United isn't (officially) talking to Airbus at the moment that they easily could do so if they don't feel like Boeing's giving them a good deal. In fact, "give us a good deal or we'll start talking to Airbus" is just as good as "give us a good deal because we're currently talking to Airbus", and saves you the trouble of actually talking to Airbus.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by Jorgen
The main reason I dislike the 757 is that it takes too darn long to board. Though the longer 737 variants aren't much better in this regard.
With the second door boarding of the 757, it usually leaves < 160 people on the right side (assuming 757-200; the 757-300 is a different story), so it's not much different than a longer 737 as you point out.

Originally Posted by Jorgen
On the matter of "losing leverage", I'm sure that everybody in the negotiation knows perfectly well that even if United isn't (officially) talking to Airbus at the moment that they easily could do so if they don't feel like Boeing's giving them a good deal. In fact, "give us a good deal or we'll start talking to Airbus" is just as good as "give us a good deal because we're currently talking to Airbus", and saves you the trouble of actually talking to Airbus.
Speaking of leverage, they may in fact be messing with Airbus by leaking that they're going to only talk to Boeing, in the hopes that Airbus becomes more aggressive.

Then again, from this one-size-fits-all fleet management team that has never had to leverage competitors against each other, I doubt it.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cheltzel
and count me as one who things the A319/320 are more comfortable than the 737s.
+1

Wider seat, roomier, quieter.
And soon with even bigger bins!

And real UA crew (for now). Another non change that I like.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MileCards
Though no talk of widebodies here -- when I saw the headline before story got printed thought that would be referenced as well.

Theoretically that's still a two horse mixed race.
Pigs will fly before you see this new UA order a WB Airbus, from what it looks like
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:12 pm

Does this mean there's no hope for an A380 order in the future?

<kidding>
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:18 pm

and count me as one who thinks the A319/320 are more comfortable than the 737s.

regardless we don't know why they did this but I hope there is a reason behind it more so than just that is how Continental used to do things so that is how the new airline does things.

Does, with the added evidence of everything else, seem to further point to this just being continental...
Although I have next-to-no experience in fleet maintenance, I would bet the official reason is similar to the same official reason CO has been giving over the years...that standardizing the fleet helps lower costs tremendously (and have the tag-on effect of helping reduce MX delays through cross-training). Whether that argument holds water in this scenario I have no clue.

What I will provide is this...as of YE2011 here is the fleet mix for the combined airline:

Boeing: 549 aircraft (78%)
Airbus: 152 aircraft (22%)

A320-200: 97 aircraft
A319-100: 55 aircraft
73x: 238 aircraft
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
I wonder......

Instead of leveraging Airbus against Boeing....

They are leveraging the 787 settlement negotiations?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Later that exclusivity was ruled illegal, but was maintained as what is known as a "gentlemen's agreement."
Not illegal. The exclusivity agreements were terminated by Boeing in order to get EU approval of the MD acquisition.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt GLOB, Marriott Lifetime PLT, UA 1K 1MM.
honestly, i don't think this in itself is all that bad. personally i've always had a soft spot for the 737. personally i just thought it always looked cool. some people don't, but i like that it's low to the ground. i like the nose of the 737 over the A319/32x. i think the hamster pouches look cool.

but then again that's aesthetics and is completely subjective.

and if the new planes are that much more fuel efficient and the 737MAX is that much quieter (i saw the chevrons on the engines in the PR pics which is a good indication) then that's also more ticks in the "plus" column to me.

i think it really depends on what UA decides to do with the planes. if it loads it up with the sky interior and those new Y seats (i forget who makes them... the one on the new 767's with lie flats have them) and so on and so forth, maybe we can get somewhere.

or they can remove some more padding in Y seats, stick in some more of those temporary F seats and throw us some terrible interiors.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

What they are doing with the 787 is instructive

And it blows

Doom for any new fleet adds. I'll be riding the 744, 777 transpac and Airbii domestic as often as possible.

If I want a 737 it will be on WN.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by slariz
Does this mean there's no hope for an A380 order in the future?

<kidding>
Yes, it still possible to order some A380.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.