Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How long should it take for RPU or GPU to redeposit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long should it take for RPU or GPU to redeposit?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by manoaflyer
. Can I hold my upgrades on the HNL-SFO and DEN-HNL until 6 (or so days) before departure and redeposit back to my account if I see a fair number of first class seats open? Can I do those myself or call in 1-K line? I like to save these two upgrades for a possible future trip to the Washington, DC.
yep, I've done it before.

Originally Posted by manoaflyer

Finally, can I access the red carpet club (with or without an upgrade) at SFO or DEN as a 1K member? I am unsure if Canada will be considered as international!

Thank you.
yep!
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
FWIW, lessons learned about restoring a mistakenly deducted GPU

Especially given how much I've been admittedly griping about UA's lousy IT, other systems, etc., I really should have known better before going down the following path. Still, FWIW, I thought I'd share this experience:

To make a fairly long story fairly short, UA mistakenly deducted two GPUs instead of one for a BKK-NRT-HNL-SFO Y-C upgrade a couple of months ago. Knowing it could take some phone time to deal with this, I put off doing so until I had time after work yesterday evening. To my mild surprise, there was an MP desk open (which I reached via 1K/Premier reservations or whatever it's called these days), though it was MNL (which could well mean it simply was a reservations desk doubling as the MP desk). So here is what I should have known, but learned:

1. Don't try to handle such matters through MNL. The CSRs were nice enough, but didn't have a clue about what to do. In addition, the connection was cut off twice when the first two I reached put me on hold in order to check into the issue.
2. By extension, I guess #1 means don't try to handle such matters in the evening, since like me you could reach MNL.
3. If, as I did, you nevertheless decide in for a dime in for a dollar (i.e., since I had alread wasted well over an hour on this, I might as well try to see it through), ask to speak to a supervisor ASAP. When I finally did this, she quickly restored the missing GPU to my account. Not sure whether she did this because she actually checked the records I was providing or because she wanted to help or get rid of me quickly, but once I reached her it she was able to instantaneously put it back in.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
For GPU, RPU, mileage or revenue refunds/redeposits I always call during the business day (central time). If not you run a high risk of being told that someone needs to be contacted about this who has gone home (MP, accounting, etc.).
Old Aug 21, 2012, 12:00 pm

Why would you ever talk to someone in MNL about a redeposit of a GPU. A 2 minute call to the MP folks always gets me straightened out promptly, as of late, and that includes redeposit of miles as well as GPU's & RPU's. The MP desk can look up your flights and see where each upgrade went in a matter of seconds. As has been mentioned, call during the day and get to the right department from now on. It makes life much easier.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Agree... Mileage Plus knows the routine now pretty well.

Has anyone had an RPU or GPU re-deposit automatically? I have never seen that happen, so now just call a day or two after every time.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Agree... Mileage Plus knows the routine now pretty well.

Has anyone had an RPU or GPU re-deposit automatically? I have never seen that happen, so now just call a day or two after every time.
Has happened twice out of ~25 possible attempts since 3/3 (missing upgrades, flight changes/cancellations, etc.)...not too successful.
Old Aug 26, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: UA GS
I sponsored GPU's for a couple of relatives flying roundtrip from LAX/IAH/FRA. They were uprgraded on both the outbound and return. Unfortunately on thier outbound segments, their LAX/IAH flight was delayed by 4 hours and they missed their IAH/FRA upgraded flight. They eventually were rerouted via SFO (no upgrades).

I waited a few days to see if the 2 GPU's used for the IAH/FRA flight would be returned. I was told that they will not return to my account until they finish their reservation (i.e. return), which is 9 days from now. I read through this thread and have not seen this as a policy. Has anyone else been told that the reservation has to be completed before the GPU's are returned?

Fortunately, I do not need to use the GPU's in the next couple of weeks, but I'm concerned that the more time that passes, the more difficult it will be to get them back.

BTW, when I originally requested the upgrades (March/April?), the GPU's were never taken out of my account. My relatives were upgraded on the FRA/IAH/LAX portion a few months ago. A week before their flight, I called United to sponsor GPU's for their LAX/IAH/FRA flight. They realized that they never took out the GPU's from my account. The next day, they received the IAH/FRA upgrades.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 10:08 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by LEONIDES
They are really good at cancelling these RPUs automatically, once F fills up, and there is no space. My RPU for a flight 3 days from now was cancelled tonight, when F filled.

If they are that efficient at cancelling the RPUs, why can't they return them automatically to your account?
I am sure they could make this work....If they tried....If they were properly motivated.
Right, why would COdbaUA management care? They don't. I cancelled a flight yesterday on which I had a RPU waitlisted. I was told the RPU would re-deposit immediately. Yeah, sure it will. I didn't have the time to deal with the agent, but I'll need to call to get it put back in. I'm sure this is the party line and SOP for agents to say to folks, and the assumption is that a lot of folks will never call back or check, so a win for COdbaUA.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Originally Posted by SFOTurtle
Right, why would COdbaUA management care? They don't. I cancelled a flight yesterday on which I had a RPU waitlisted. I was told the RPU would re-deposit immediately. Yeah, sure it will. I didn't have the time to deal with the agent, but I'll need to call to get it put back in. I'm sure this is the party line and SOP for agents to say to folks, and the assumption is that a lot of folks will never call back or check, so a win for COdbaUA.
I feel your pain. I just cancelled an upgrade request since the flight is in a few days and the upgrade didn't clear. I figured I'll just take my chances (which are slim to none) on a CPU.

The agent said the upgrades should show up soon which is good because I have a few Nov. flights I'd like to upgrade.

Alas, still not showing up in my account.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Re-depositing a RPU?

On flights OGG-IAH next week, it looks like I have a better shot at a CPU than it did when I redeemed a RPU. In the RPU small print I found "In the case of redeposit or cancellation, the Regional Premier Upgrade will be returned to the account from which it was taken", but there's not an obvious way to un-redeem online. I guess this is something I have to call to get done?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:18 am

Programs: United Gold
Yes, you have to call, there is no way to do it online that I know of.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:41 am

Programs: UA Gold / Bonvoy Platinum
Just call in, it works, have done it before.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
On flights OGG-IAH next week, it looks like I have a better shot at a CPU than it did when I redeemed a RPU. In the RPU small print I found "In the case of redeposit or cancellation, the Regional Premier Upgrade will be returned to the account from which it was taken", but there's not an obvious way to un-redeem online. I guess this is something I have to call to get done?
Make sure it gets re-deposited while on the phone too, doesn't always happen
Old Feb 17, 2013, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, United 1k, Hilton Gold, Budget Slowbreak. Hertz 5 Star
40 minutes to get redeposit of GPUs

Which is more broken, United IT or United agents? Made a reservation earlier this month and just discovered that 4 GPUs had been deducted rather than 2. Simple error and should be a simple fix, right? Called Mileage Plus. Agent asked for all my account info then put me on hold for 5 minutes. Said she didn't want to cancel my reservation so she had to conference me in with reservations. Ok, not sure why, but lets solve the problem.

Another 10 minutes on hold to get a reservations person, in Texas. She again asked me everything about the reservation, and more hold time. Comes back and says she has to get Mileage Plus on the line. Duh... that is who I was just on with. Another 15 minutes on hold. Comes back and says we almost have this fixed.

Am I missing something? Is this really such a difficult problem?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Just doesn't seen it warrants too much whining. If it took a week or months, maybe. In the scheme of other problems, this is pretty trivial. I've had a GPU restored by just sending a e-mail with the facts. Spent no time on phone. If that failed, I might've called.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Feb 17, 2013 at 11:07 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.