Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How long should it take for RPU or GPU to redeposit?

Old Apr 16, 12, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: CO (now UA) 1K / Hyatt Platinum / UMPPPC / SLH Honoured

Mods--I am reposting this. You combined it into the thread "When do RPUs Post in Integrated PSS", but that is a completely different question. That person was asking when RPUs post to their account after achieving mileage levels of every 25k miles. My question is about a _redeposit_ of an RPU after it has not cleared on a flight.

Here's the post again:

You would think that if the computer system is smart enough to send you an email at T-24 to say that the RPU has not cleared and now you are at the mercy of the normal non-certificate-based upgrade list post-merger randomness, that the computer system would be smart enough to re-deposit the RPU at that same time.

Nope.

T+9 days and no redeposit. Is this one of those "wait 2 to 3 weeks and it will sort itself out" things or is it one of the "yeah, you should go ahead and call the elite phone line, because emailing 1kvoice sure as heck isn't going to do any good" things?
Old Apr 16, 12, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP/3MM UA 1MM, HY Globalist, MR Titanium, HH Gld
Your question may have no answer. It seems that Mileage Plus does not have that functionality at present. It may be a matter of waiting 2-3 months.

There don't appear to be any reports of people successfully redepositing RPUs, and GPUs after failing an upgrade. In fact, there have been no reports of people successfully redepositing miles and money after failing at the upgrade.

It may be possible to get it done with agent intervention, but then only if you need them immediately.
Old Apr 16, 12, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

I've never had to not call. Sadly.
Old Apr 16, 12, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
I've been waiting for 15 days for two GPUs, 12 days for a RPU, to be redeposited after changing 2 itineraries. I feel your pain.
Old Apr 16, 12, 10:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I also had to call in to get 2 GPUs reinstated in my account. They do not seem to get redeposited automatically anymore. I seem to recall not having to worry about it in the past (pre 3-12). Hopefully they get the glitch fixed.
Old Apr 16, 12, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM), Marriott Lifetime Titanium (UGH), Uber Diamond
I have been waiting over a month (RPU pulled incorrectly on March 11). I have sent 2 emails to the 1K email. NOTHING!!!

I am beginning to really dislike the new United!
Old Apr 16, 12, 10:29 am

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Titanium
Thumbs down

My RPU (exp 4/30) was applied to 3/19 PNR.

The flight was canceled. RPU was never returned.

I am going to call UA on 5/1 and see what happens.

Can they give me an expired RPU?
Old Apr 16, 12, 10:46 am

Programs: QR platinum
I have just called to get back an RPU that failed to clear and was not redeposited after 10 days. Procedure was overall painless, although it would be great if the instruments were redeposited automatically:

I started from the 1k reservation line (no wait using AT&T toll free from the UK), asked to be transferred to 1k mileage plus desk. I briefly explained the issue and the reservation agent apologized for the inconvenience, then transferred me (waiting with me for the mileage plus representative for an hold of a couple of minutes).

The mileage plus representative asked for my pin (mileage plus number and PNR were transferred from the 1k desk), looked at the PNR, typed for a few minutes and redeposited the RPU with original expiration. I was thanked for being 1k and flying UA.

Overall great customer service experience, apart from the fact that I should not have had to call in the first place.
Old Apr 16, 12, 10:53 am

The answer is "CAll"!
Waiting for it to happen automatically, won't happen!
I've had 3 of them redeposited for cancelled flights since 3/3, but they all required an emotionless phone call to 1k first.
Have your confirm # and pin # handy!!!
Old Apr 16, 12, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't think "how long" is the relevant question... there appears to be no automatic redeposit. Call OPSC, wait a few hours for them to answer, and beg/plead.
Old Apr 16, 12, 12:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United 1K, MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire
I had to call. Only took about 5 minutes.
Old Apr 16, 12, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Just hung up the phone and it took about 10 minutes to get the RPU redeposited. The flight was 6 days ago.
Old Apr 16, 12, 3:03 pm

I called 1K line to change my RPU from one itinerary to another. The agent cancelled the original RPU request on the spot and called MP line to request redepositing RPU into my account for me. It took about 30 minutes for the whole process.

The agent told me that it would normally take 14 days before RPU being redepositing back to the account.
Old Apr 16, 12, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, once-upon-a-time NW Gold, BMI Gold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Infinity + Epsilon
Old Apr 16, 12, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
It took more than 6 weeks and calling to get an RPU back.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: