Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Silver Status vs. Mileage Plus Credit Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

So this is my first year as a silver elite on Continental...I mean Premier Access Silver on United and I couldn't feel more hosed. I wanted to pick the brains of the people on the forum as to whether there were actually any perks available to Premier Access Silver members that were not otherwise available through the Mileage Plus Explorer card.

I happen to have both and at least for a while I was getting a 2nd bag free as a Silver. Now I really can't discern ANY difference between the benefits I get for flying 25,000+ miles a year as opposed to having the card. Are there any differences at all? Any reason why I should care if I make Silver status if I have the Mileage Plus credit card?

Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by CUontheslopes131
So this is my first year as a silver elite on Continental...I mean Premier Access Silver on United and I couldn't feel more hosed. I wanted to pick the brains of the people on the forum as to whether there were actually any perks available to Premier Access Silver members that were not otherwise available through the Mileage Plus Explorer card.

I happen to have both and at least for a while I was getting a 2nd bag free as a Silver. Now I really can't discern ANY difference between the benefits I get for flying 25,000+ miles a year as opposed to having the card. Are there any differences at all? Any reason why I should care if I make Silver status if I have the Mileage Plus credit card?

Thanks!
Welcome to FT!

There are additional benefits of being Silver that you don't get from the card and they are significant:

-Economy Plus (no E+ access with the card alone.. as a silver you get E+ at checkin)
-Domestic First Class upgrades...not sure how many you'll get as a silver, but it's certain you won't even be on the list by just having the card alone
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Thank you! Yes, I hadn't thought of the upgrades, in part, because of exactly what you indicated. I have been flying for about a year now as a silver elite and haven't even sniffed an upgrade. The Economy+ is a nice feature though at least, you're right.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
The biggest benefit of getting the card is just racking up some extra miles to be able to redeem for international C/F award travel.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Thank you! Yes, I hadn't thought of the upgrades, in part, because of exactly what you indicated. I have been flying for about a year now as a silver elite and haven't even sniffed an upgrade. The Economy+ is a nice feature though at least, you're right.
Don't forget:

25% Mileage Bonus
* Silver status on *A airlines (if you fly US a lot, for example)
Elite Security (when not flying UA)
Elite Boarding (YMMV on this one for other airlines. Silver is slightly ahead of the credit card boarding zone)
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:54 pm

In addition to those already mentioned:
500 mile minimum earning per segment
Better saver award availability
reduced close-in/change/redeposit fee on award tickets (United Club card eliminates close-in booking fee)
Instant Y/B upgrades

What you get from the Explorer card that you don't as Premier is two club passes. Hard to find anything else. The bonus miles (2/$1 on United) can be had from several cards offering 2pts/$1 on travel (Chase Sapphire Preferred, for example). Of course the bonus miles for signup for the Explorer might make it worth getting anyway.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:00 am

New UA not as good as old UA

My husband is an elite silver and has been for a couple of years. Pre-merger he used to be able to get 2 suitcases when flying internationally. Now he only gets 1!!!
I'm not impressed with the new UA, what other airline doesn't give you any free suitcases for international travel?

DealsSeeker
Old Apr 19, 2012, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I think getting free upgrade and getting E+ seats for Premier Silver status members are quite difficult on popular segments. I have gotten free upgrade 1 time in the last 3 years. I am curious what my chances are getting E+ seats at check-in for international flights... To me those benefits are nice if I get to use them, so I discount those benefits. Now they even reduce free checked luggage to just 1...
Old Apr 23, 2012, 1:35 pm

My Question is... if you have Silver Elite Status and get 1 bag free already. Do you get another bag free by also having the credit card?
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Originally Posted by sbratton
My Question is... if you have Silver Elite Status and get 1 bag free already. Do you get another bag free by also having the credit card?
My understanding is no, it is not additive. So you get 1 free checked bag. I think it used to be spelled out on either the old United web page or the Chase page but I can't find it now.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by aacharya
Don't forget:

25% Mileage Bonus
* Silver status on *A airlines (if you fly US a lot, for example)
Elite Security (when not flying UA)
Elite Boarding (YMMV on this one for other airlines. Silver is slightly ahead of the credit card boarding zone)
Or just fly 20k on A3 and you'll have *G and won't have to put up with any of the silver crap.

UA will treat a *G better than a Silver at least.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Superguy
Or just fly 20k on A3 and you'll have *G and won't have to put up with any of the silver crap.

UA will treat a *G better than a Silver at least.
As UA is my best option out of SBA (and I assume that's the case for most silvers), and generally flying cheap fares, I'd only earn 50% crediting to A3. Granted flying 40K miles for *G is fewer than 50K miles for *G but it's not gonna make a huge difference for silvers who don't get close to making gold.

Edit: A3 does have a 500 mile minimum for UA flights without requiring status, so if you're starting from scratch it's not an awful idea I guess. You lose out on possible CPU upgrades as *G, but they're so rare as Premier Silver anyway it doesn't matter much.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sbratton
Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

No, you do not. Similarly, if you are flying on a route where the 1st bag is free you don't get another one for free.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by penner42
As UA is my best option out of SBA (and I assume that's the case for most silvers), and generally flying cheap fares, I'd only earn 50% crediting to A3. Granted flying 40K miles for *G is fewer than 50K miles for *G but it's not gonna make a huge difference for silvers who don't get close to making gold.

Edit: A3 does have a 500 mile minimum for UA flights without requiring status, so if you're starting from scratch it's not an awful idea I guess. You lose out on possible CPU upgrades as *G, but they're so rare as Premier Silver anyway it doesn't matter much.
And once you get it, you only have to fly 1 segment every 3 years to keep it.
Old Apr 23, 2012, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA-Plat AS-MVPG
I just earned Silver and I notice a change after using just the card.

Most of the differences are listed above but also Priority Baggage. All the little differences between Silver and the explorer card add up and it does make the trip better.

I should be Platinum or 1k by the end of year though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.