Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Asiana Award Reservation CANCELLED without even telling me!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asiana Award Reservation CANCELLED without even telling me!

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2012, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Plat DL-Plat (did status match on DL before losing EXP on AA)
See
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...elling-me.html
Old May 4, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: United Gold
Update

I ended up calling the 1K line. I had all the dates, carriers and flight numbers that I wanted ready and in about 30 minutes I had the exact itinerary I wanted. It took about 15 minutes to actually ticket. This is only the second time I've used the phone to make a reservation, do all partner awards require a call?

Because of what I've read here, I wanted to make sure that the Asiana portion of the itinerary actually ticketed. I called 1-888-437-7718, which is the number I got from the Asiana website, but they said they couldn't help me and told me to call 1-800-227-4262 instead.

The Asiana agent spoke perfect english and she confirmed that she could see the reservation on their system. I offered to also give UA's e-ticket number and she noted that in my reservation as well.

So my questions are:

1) Am I all set? Or do I have to babysit the reservation until I actually take the flight?

2) There is an ANA portion on the itinerary, and I have used the ANA website to lookup the reservation and choose a seat. I don't have to call them with the UA e-ticket number do I? (Also, Air Japan is ANA right?)

3) Usually I get an e-mail with my itinerary, but this time I didn't. I had to find the e-ticket number by pressing the View Receipt link on United.com. Should I worry that I didn't get an e-mail?

4) Could someone please let me know the best lounge to use in NRT, ICN and HKG. I'm in Global First NRT-ICN, business from ICN-HKG, business from HKG-NRT and Global First NRT-HNL. I am 1K with a paid United Club membership.

Thanks.
Old May 4, 2012, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Actually, there was an active discussion on this issue a few months ago - the issues with SHARES and OZ seemed to pre-date 3/3, if the experiences reported by many others are any indication.
Bizarre. Once again, I avoid many of the CO issues that seem to plague everyone else.

Why do I get this sneaking suspicion that the other shoe is about to drop? I'll keep knocking on wood...
Old May 4, 2012, 9:01 pm

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by love_to_travel

1) Am I all set? Or do I have to babysit the reservation until I actually take the flight?

2) There is an ANA portion on the itinerary, and I have used the ANA website to lookup the reservation and choose a seat. I don't have to call them with the UA e-ticket number do I? (Also, Air Japan is ANA right?)

3) Usually I get an e-mail with my itinerary, but this time I didn't. I had to find the e-ticket number by pressing the View Receipt link on United.com. Should I worry that I didn't get an e-mail?

4) Could someone please let me know the best lounge to use in NRT, ICN and HKG. I'm in Global First NRT-ICN, business from ICN-HKG, business from HKG-NRT and Global First NRT-HNL. I am 1K with a paid United Club membership.

Thanks.
Here's my experience with award on OZ using UA miles...

Made a RT HKG-ICN-SFO-PDX and return. Got OZ confirmation number. Tried to make a seat selection on Asiana's website - 2 flights were missing from the itinerary (out of 4). I did not suspect something was wrong. Had to change dates, called up UA to make the changes - was told the original ticket was not completely issued! Thank god I had to make that change! Once the change was made, ticket issued, I went to OZ's website to make seat selections again. Now all 4 flights show up and seat selection was successful. ICN-SFO was on the new Quadra seats, return was the older non 180 lie flat. HKG-ICN portion was on regional seats. Service and food was excellent. Nothing to complain about except the lounge at SFO - small, cramp and no showers!

Now to answer your questions;

1. I would still babysit your reservation just to be on the safe side. Make sure that you can select your seats online. You can call any OZ office, not just the US toll free. I find it quicker to get someone on the line calling an Asian office.
2. I don't know about JL, but for ANA I think you don't need to call them, just use your ANA confirmation no. to make seat selection. Make sure that your ticket is actually properly issued!
3. Personally I would be concern, I don't know about others. I would want to see the ticket number!
4. In NRT I like the UA First lounge which is above the RCC/Biz lounge. In HKG if you hold a *G First BP, you can go into UA's or TG's lounge, never tried SQ's. I personally prefer UA over TG. In ICN - I think you're stuck with OZ's lounge which is pretty big and nice.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:16 pm

Asiana also like to drop a SEGMENT out of your itenerary after you've begun travel.

It happened to me on an award ticket, and I had to purchase a seat for that segment - it just "disappeared" and even after I showed the agent my printout with the flight listed, she could do nothing but sell me a ticket and tell me that it was not in the system now(?)

I don't trust them now.
Old May 4, 2012, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
You always have to babysit any reservation made by SHARES -- especially when partners are involved.

One of my favorite stories involves a mixed UA and LX F reservation booked using CO miles at the time. I run into a FT buddy in a RCC on the outbound, and we talk about my ticket. He reminds me that since I'm on a CO ticket, I should keep an eye on the partner space.

I had been doing that all along, even printed out the UA and LX ressies the day before the trip. We look at the ressies right then and there in the club, and they're still fine.

Several hours later, in another city, I load up the ressies, and sure enough, our LX F return for ZRH-JFK is gone. The outbound is fine, and the connecting JFK-SFO is fine.

I call up CO, and they blame LX. Of course I know it's CO and SHARES, so I call over to LX, who proves it's CO. I get them on the horn together, and LX manages to finally prove to CO that it was CO who sent something from their SHARES system that caused the deletion of the segment.

We ultimately got the flight reinstated, but not after spending significant time brokering the deal.

But the point is, always babysit any reservation from SHARES, especially if it involves partners.

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Asiana also like to drop a SEGMENT out of your itenerary after you've begun travel.

It happened to me on an award ticket, and I had to purchase a seat for that segment - it just "disappeared" and even after I showed the agent my printout with the flight listed, she could do nothing but sell me a ticket and tell me that it was not in the system now(?)

I don't trust them now.
It probably was something that CO did like in my example above. We don't hear these kinds of reports of OZ issues with tickets issued by other carriers (including tickets that used to be issued by PMUA).
Old May 6, 2012, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by channa
But the point is, always babysit any reservation from SHARES, especially if it involves partners.
Thanks channa, I'll make sure to watch it until I depart. Thanks also kittiyut for your detailed reply.

Actually just to be proactive I called Asiana again today to check on everything. The agent spoke english well with only the slightest hint of an accent. She was insanely polite and kept calling me Mr. love_to_travel and thanking me for flying Asiana.

While I was verifying the booking number and the e-ticket number, I guess she could sense that I was worried about making sure the ticket was valid so she took my e-mail address and my cell phone number and told me that everything would be all right. What a great CSR, hopefully this bodes well for the actual flight experience.
Old May 6, 2012, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I booked two award tickets on OZ with UACO miles Thursday night, ticketed about 90 minutes after booking. As of tonight I'm able to enter the eTicket number on flyasiana.com and get seat assignments for all 6 segments.

Do I still need to call, or looking up by eTicket number on flyasiana.com enough confidence they have the ticket? I suppose even with the eTicket lookup I could still have a non-connected eTicket and PNR.

Last edited by mduell; May 6, 2012 at 11:58 pm
Old May 6, 2012, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by username
I booked a MileagePlus award reservation on Asiana a few weeks ago (post-merger). It ticketed fine and everything. Today, when I looked, it disappeared from my list. I could not retrieve it by the locator either.

I called UA. The agent initially said everything looked fine. Then she said wait a minute, something is wrong. I have been on the phone for over an hour now for them to fix the problem. She said something came back from OZ that confused SHARES. I know OZ's system is bad so not sure whose problem it is.

I have another reservation and it still looks fine.

So, keep an eye on your award reservations that have OZ.
This just happened to me. My confirmed award flight - getting me home - from ICN to SFO disappeared. UA rep thought it was there but then found a problem. I am now booked on the UA flight. Not happy I had to find this myself while traveling overseas. I shall be looking to book on another carrier. (this and several other issues have caused me to lose confidence in UA as a company that I can trust with my travel arrangement.)
Old May 7, 2012, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by mduell
As of tonight I'm able to enter the eTicket number on flyasiana.com and get seat assignments for all 6 segments.
I can't find a page on flyasiana.com that will allow me to enter my United e-Ticket number, do you happen to remember how you got to the page that allowed you to do this?
Old May 7, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
The Asiana agent spoke perfect english and she confirmed that she could see the reservation on their system. I offered to also give UA's e-ticket number and she noted that in my reservation as well.

So my questions are:

Thanks tothe OP and all who posted here. I have an award ticket reserved 3/31 involving an October OZ flight FRA-ICN. When I called OZ 1-800-227-4262 (answered by Seoul office because it is 3 a.m. in California) they indeed did not have my ticket number. Fortunately the seat is still there. The agent took my UA 016 number and assigned a seat - I did not have to call UA to do it. She said everything should be OK now. I log on with ticket number and indeed I can see the seat map and could change seat if I wanted. I then printed a copy of seat assignment acknowledgment and saved in my Evernote. I guess I will call back sometime to make sure nothing happens between now and October.

I can't find a page on flyasiana.com that will allow me to enter my United e-Ticket number, do you happen to remember how you got to the page that allowed you to do this?
Top bar: Information & Services
=> Online seat assignment
=>[red botton] Check to Select Your Seat
=> Guest Access
=> e-ticket number
I overwrote the 988- with my UA 016 ticket number, the one I supplied to OZ agent a few minutes ago. Everything worked.

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 7, 2012 at 5:55 am Reason: merge
Old May 7, 2012, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Top bar: Information & Services
=> Online seat assignment
=>[red botton] Check to Select Your Seat
=> Guest Access
=> e-ticket number
I overwrote the 988- with my UA 016 ticket number, the one I supplied to OZ agent a few minutes ago. Everything worked.
Thank you PanAmWT! I followed your directions exactly and everything worked.
Old May 18, 2012, 12:55 am

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Ticketed a *A Business award and a segment DISAPPEAR??

So i used miles from UA to book *A Business award for travel in early June.

SIN-ICN on SQ and ICN-SEA on OZ. All confirm and ticketed back in March. After 48 hours, i sent myself another receipt confirming all the flights are there and to save a copy for my records.

Today, i decided to check on flight times and realized that the OZ segment ICN-SEA disappeared. I called UA and they told me that there was a schedule change (flight numbers, aircraft type and departure time is the same, but arrival is brought forward 10 mins) and the space is no longer available. THIS IS ABSURD!!! The agent is telling me there is nothing she can do and she is talking to a supervisor to figure out a resolution.

What are my options here? This is truly exasperating.

Thanks
Old May 18, 2012, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
There's a long history apparently with PMCO and issues with OZ on ticketing

I'd say, if you don't get the answer you like, keep hanging up and calling again

Good luck
Old May 18, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
is there any proper/legal recourse?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.