Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Cancelled within 24 hours - where is the refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 1:53 pm
sb3
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K

Does anyone have experience buying, then cancelling a ticket post 3/3 (within the 24 hour window)? I bought a ticket and then cancelled with the 24 hour refund period. The credit used to go back on my credit card statement almost immediately. 10+ days later it still hasn't posted. Since I don't want to pay the credit card company the fare only to have it credited back to me next month, I called them and they are putting the charge on hold. What I'm curious about is when UAL will get around to refunding the ticket price.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Did you choose "cancel" or "refund" when you decided you didn't want the flight? One will indicate a refund will be processed to the original CC while the other just leaves the value in the original ticket.
Old Apr 6, 2012, 3:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by sb3
Does anyone have experience buying, then cancelling a ticket post 3/3 (within the 24 hour window)? I bought a ticket and then cancelled with the 24 hour refund period. The credit used to go back on my credit card statement almost immediately. 10+ days later it still hasn't posted. Since I don't want to pay the credit card company the fare only to have it credited back to me next month, I called them and they are putting the charge on hold. What I'm curious about is when UAL will get around to refunding the ticket price.
What did UA say when you called?
Old Apr 9, 2012, 11:26 am
sb3
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K
I was finally able to reach someone at UAL. They did say the refund was requested but with the merger it may take at least 1 credit card cycle to process.

I didn't manually select an option when I cancelled the flight. I was on the phone with an agent and she did it for me when we booked a different flight.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
How about refunding an award ticket?

Used the refund button to cancel an award ticket made <24 hours earlier.

Not so much worried about the $5 but wonder why the miles haven't re-appeared?

They manage to deduct the miles instantly; wonder why they can't return them instantly? Sigh.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:13 am

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by cblaisd
How about refunding an award ticket?

Used the refund button to cancel an award ticket made <24 hours earlier.

Not so much worried about the $5 but wonder why the miles haven't re-appeared?

They manage to deduct the miles instantly; wonder why they can't return them instantly? Sigh.
Maybe wait for the next sweep? The new SHARES system...
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1k650
Maybe wait for the next sweep? The new SHARES system...
As far as I know, SHARES does not do credit card or mile refunds. Other systems do that.

The cancellations I have done online all had the miles refunded in minutes (earlier ones were hours).

Taxes refund came in just over a month for two I cancelled early March.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM UA 1MM, HY Global, Bon Lft Plat, HH Dia
Haven't seen any consistency to the process on on award redeposit. Had some where the redeposit of miles was immediate with the refund of fees coming later.

Had others where the fees have been refunded but the miles are no where to be seen. Refunded all and the response showed processed and on others subject to audit.

Myriad of excuses, or no reasons why, and no solution in sight. So far, the most truthful, non answer from the agents is that "it is a glitch". Obviously, lots of glitches.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:59 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Still waiting on a revenue refund (more than 2 weeks). Will call again tomorrow. Assuming I can call when the refund office is open which appears to be from 11:55am to 11:59am and then again from 1:16PM to 1:22PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 2:05 am

Programs: UA: 1K, HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by username
The cancellations I have done online all had the miles refunded in minutes (earlier ones were hours).

Taxes refund came in just over a month for two I cancelled early March.
FWIW, my recent cancelation of a recently-booked award trip had the money credited back in 2 days.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
I've done a few refunds with both award and revenue tickets post-merger. The pattern I've seen is:
  • Award: miles redeposited instantly. Itinerary went under either "Cancelled" or "Inactive" tab in my reservations, and turns "This reservation has been refunded" in a day or so. All taxes & fees credited back to my CC, but the first one took about a month. The later ones were much quicker.
  • Revenue: still haven't received refunds on two tickets (one refundable, one within 24 hours). Both went under "Inactive" tab and still shows "This reservation has been cancelled and is being processed for a refund" although refund requests were made almost a month ago. For the 24-hour case, I received an email saying that the fare is not refundable (which is true but I'm using a different rule) so had to call and the agent put some note in the refund request. Haven't heard back from them yet.
Looks like they are taking more time refunding bigger money
Old Apr 17, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
If it drags on, just dispute the charge with the credit card company. At least you won't have to pay it until the situation is resolved.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Star Gold,Marriott Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MtRoot
I've done a few refunds with both award and revenue tickets post-merger. The pattern I've seen is:
  • Award: miles redeposited instantly. Itinerary went under either "Cancelled" or "Inactive" tab in my reservations, and turns "This reservation has been refunded" in a day or so. All taxes & fees credited back to my CC, but the first one took about a month. The later ones were much quicker.
  • Revenue: still haven't received refunds on two tickets (one refundable, one within 24 hours). Both went under "Inactive" tab and still shows "This reservation has been cancelled and is being processed for a refund" although refund requests were made almost a month ago. For the 24-hour case, I received an email saying that the fare is not refundable (which is true but I'm using a different rule) so had to call and the agent put some note in the refund request. Haven't heard back from them yet.
Looks like they are taking more time refunding bigger money
Yes, agree with the other poster. Dispute it with your cc, as I had to do for a FF econ ticket that I canceled. I too got the "your reservation has been refunded" message - for a MONTH. You'll never hear back from them until the hamster wheel does its thing. In the end, I canceled the dispute when I finally got my money back after 27 calendar days, a far cry from the 7 business days as stated on .bomb.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
If it drags on, just dispute the charge with the credit card company. At least you won't have to pay it until the situation is resolved.
Hard to do if the original form of payment is a UATP account!
Old Sep 12, 2012, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Question canceling reservaton within 24 hour of booking

I understand United will give full refund if you cancel the reservation within 24 hours after booking.
Is the cancellation/refund done via their website, or do I have to call to get the refund?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.