Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
Seat changed when aircraft did not change

Is that possible? I made a reservation a month ago, and had a window seat and United changed my seat to a middle seat. There was no aircraft change. Now there are no other seats available.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K
It's possible. One option is that the aircraft changed twice (X->Y and Y-X). A second option is a traveler sweet-talked an agent into changing your seat. A third option is that your seat was taken by a federal air marshal, which UA will not be able to tell you for security reasons.

You can call Reservations and ask UA to help explain the seat change history, or to help you find a better seat.

Anecdotally, my wife and I (on separate reservations) just went from 1EF to 2E/1F overnight on a sCO 757 with no equipment or other flight changes. We're just gonna assume that 1E is a federal air marshal and wink knowingly at them as they board.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
I called reservations and they told me that they do not have seat history. And my seat was mid aircraft in coach.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Happens a lot with United now. In my opinion, completely unacceptable.

If you complain, you will hear references to the legal contract of carriage, which basically means you have no expectations to a specific seat.

Flyer Unfriendly.

[Link to this thread removed by moderator - obsolete after merge]
Old Oct 30, 2013, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I wonder if there's a way to force them to reveal the reason they arbitrarily moved your seat. Perhaps claiming that they did it for illegal discriminatory reasons would force a response.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jdcryans
I've had my fair share of random seat changes back when it was really bad (complained but it didn't change anything), but now after a year with no issues we just got moved from 14J/K on the 744's UD to... 10J/K, possibly the worst seats on the plane in BF! This is a revenue flight in late November.

One of our original seats is still available, but there isn't a single pair of seats we can move to except those pack of 4 in the middle. So incredibly pissed...
This happened to me last week. I keep screen shots of seat assignments for this reason, it helped me get my seats restored (though it took me three agents on the 1K desk to do it).
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by MrMarket
This happened to me last week. I keep screen shots of seat assignments for this reason, it helped me get my seats restored (though it took me three agents on the 1K desk to do it).
So they have to bump another 1K/GS? :-)
Old Oct 30, 2013, 1:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lax2010
So they have to bump another 1K/GS? :-)
Well, in fairness, they have to bump someone out of a seat that they shouldn't have been able to reserve.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:41 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Exactly why no one "reserves" their seat due to the numerous things that can happen, requiring re-accomodation.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 5:25 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
it continues this week

four domestic segments in two days for two of us traveling on separate itins. All my seats were changed to unassigned or different seats! What is going on????
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:03 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by uanj
four domestic segments in two days for two of us traveling on separate itins. All my seats were changed to unassigned or different seats! What is going on????
Could it be change of aircraft?
Old Oct 31, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Flying DCA-IAH in a couple of weeks on A319 and seat magically changes from 2B to 1E. I absolutely loathe bulkhead seats on this plane but alas row 2 is now fully booked. I called res and the agent sincerely apologized and even offered to change my flight to anything I wanted from BWI, DCA or IAD. I'm assuming I got FAM'd.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 2:34 pm

How do you save the screen shots of the seat assignments?
Old Oct 31, 2013, 4:06 pm

I have a random seat change happened to me last week. The strange thing is that I printed my boarding pass with the "correct" seat that I had selected. Several hours later, I checked my United.com account and it showed a different seat number. I called the 1K line and the agent confirmed that my seat is now showing a different seat than what was printed on my boarding pass. She could not explain it and indicated that the seat on my boarding pass belongs to someone else so I cannot be moved back to it. There has been no equipment change or anything like that. When I get to the airport, I asked the check-in agent to move me back to my original seat. She said that another person was assigned that seat. I showed my boarding pass and she checked with the supervisor if she could change me back to my original seat and move the other person to my "new" seat. The supervisor okayed it as it seems that I checked in first and I have a higher Mileage Plus status. However, this was a strange experience that I went through.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 8:14 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by fishingfrye
How do you save the screen shots of the seat assignments?
OK since no one helped you out, here you go:

Size the window to whatever size you want to save, hold ALT key, then press Print Screen key, open Paint program (under accessories), click Paste or hold CTRL key and press V @:-)

Save image as, and voila. I've saved screenshots of my seats many times, as well as alternate flights in case of IRROPS or SDC possibilities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.