Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Random seat changes to UA itineraries after they are booked & purchased [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2013, 5:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Seat Assignments Changed & Family Split Up!

We all know that when we pre-assign seats, these are not guaranteed as some exceptional events such as aircraft change can force the airline to change your seat.

However, the least UA can do is tell us why & try to rectify the issue. I had pre-selected an window & middle seat for me & my wife. When I got my boarding passes I saw that we both were split up & sitting in different rows.

I tweeted UA and the response was "Seats were changed for reasons we're not able to disclose. We guarantee a seat, but not a seat assignment".

Why can't they disclose it?? A little explanation goes a long way United!

Anyways, the United twitter account didn't help. I used two great UA hosts at the ORD United Club to help and they graciously got us together by upgrading us to Economy Plus.

If not for those two great UA employees, things would have ended really badly. These things should not happen.
Old May 1, 2013, 8:26 am

I'm flying next week ORD-FRA on a 777 for a ticket I booked 10 months ago. I had seat 1A, but when I checked this morning I was switched to 1C and 1A is now occupied.

I was really looking forward to a window seat. Usually I never book them because I get a little claustrophic sandwiched between a wall and another person, but I thought this was my chance to enjoy a window seat since I wouldn't have anyone next to me.
Old May 1, 2013, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Had one this week as well...moved me out of row 12 on a EMB145. (If row 12 is not available, I don't book it).

Thankfully, I noticed it on my daily (no kidding...every day) check on my itineraries and was able to snag my original seat again.
Old May 1, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by ThriftyTourist
However, the least UA can do is tell us why & try to rectify the issue. I had pre-selected an window & middle seat for me & my wife. When I got my boarding passes I saw that we both were split up & sitting in different rows.

I tweeted UA and the response was "Seats were changed for reasons we're not able to disclose. We guarantee a seat, but not a seat assignment".

Why can't they disclose it??
The only valid reason would be that a Federal Air Marshall took your seat(s). But given that you were in E-, that doesn't seem likely.

The other explanation is that COdbaUA is incompetent and the company won't allow its employees to disclose that.
Old May 1, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by AggieTraveler
I'm flying next week ORD-FRA on a 777 for a ticket I booked 10 months ago. I had seat 1A, but when I checked this morning I was switched to 1C and 1A is now occupied.

I was really looking forward to a window seat. Usually I never book them because I get a little claustrophic sandwiched between a wall and another person, but I thought this was my chance to enjoy a window seat since I wouldn't have anyone next to me.
exactly the same for me but IAD-FRA... booked 7 months on advance. 1A moved to 1k with 1A occupied. air march all I assume.

managed to move to a much better seat in row 2 a little closer to departure.
Old May 1, 2013, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
exactly the same for me but IAD-FRA... booked 7 months on advance. 1A moved to 1k with 1A occupied. air march all I assume.

managed to move to a much better seat in row 2 a little closer to departure.
The only seat open on my flight in row 2 is 2H - would that be better than 1C? 2A & 2K have been blocked from the beginning, and I've heard 1H is undesirable (1K is also taken).
Old May 2, 2013, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only seat open on my flight in row 2 is 2H - would that be better than 1C? 2A & 2K have been blocked from the beginning, and I've heard 1H is undesirable (1K is also taken).
depends on the aircraft. if it's a 777 (I just came off one) then row two is the place to be. I was in 2C... crew rest next door so very private.
Old May 2, 2013, 6:11 am

depends on the aircraft. if it's a 777 (I just came off one) then row two is the place to be. I was in 2C... crew rest next door so very private.
It is a 777, but 2H is taken now. Thanks for the response anyway, though. If I'd known 1A was going to be taken away from me, I would have booked 2C from the beginning (it's been taken about a month). 1H is now the only other available seat. I tried searching the other threads for information on seats, but 1A and 1H were pretty much the only ones I found info on. Now I know for in the future, though.

I called United yesterday, and they said it was an aircraft change, which I have a hard time believing. Plane type stayed the same, and all the other seats (whether taken/open) stayed the exact same. I tweeted them last night and just sent them a DM with my details. I'll see if they provide an explanation - other than their tweet of "seat assignments aren't guaranteed".

Let's just hope they don't switch me to 1H for pushing the issue!

ETA: United's DM non-response: "In some instances the Airport Team may have to change seats due to different situations, we do apologize for the frustration."

Last edited by AggieTraveler; May 2, 2013 at 7:12 am Reason: add info
Old May 3, 2013, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is a 777, but 2H is taken now. Thanks for the response anyway, though. If I'd known 1A was going to be taken away from me, I would have booked 2C from the beginning (it's been taken about a month). 1H is now the only other available seat. I tried searching the other threads for information on seats, but 1A and 1H were pretty much the only ones I found info on. Now I know for in the future, though.

I called United yesterday, and they said it was an aircraft change, which I have a hard time believing. Plane type stayed the same, and all the other seats (whether taken/open) stayed the exact same. I tweeted them last night and just sent them a DM with my details. I'll see if they provide an explanation - other than their tweet of "seat assignments aren't guaranteed".

Let's just hope they don't switch me to 1H for pushing the issue!

ETA: United's DM non-response: "In some instances the Airport Team may have to change seats due to different situations, we do apologize for the frustration."
there is a specific reason why 1A is not available and UA is unable to disclose that.

probably better to stay away from 1A in future.

the rest of my seat assignments all held without issue.
Old May 4, 2013, 8:41 am

there is a specific reason why 1A is not available and UA is unable to disclose that.

probably better to stay away from 1A in future.

the rest of my seat assignments all held without issue.
I figured that was the case, but I thought I'd try anyway. I will definitely avoid 1A in the future.
Old May 4, 2013, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I figured that was the case, but I thought I'd try anyway. I will definitely avoid 1A in the future.
also, possibly, 2H... if you know what I mean . (I would have out money in it from my flight 2 days ago...)
Old May 4, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: UA GS
Going SFO-PVG soon, and the only C seats left unassigned were the row 7 middle seats. Blech.

I've been checking every day (2-3 times a day) to see what, if anything, frees up. Then when I logged in, I found myself in 10A -- window seat. I prefer UD but thank you UA for moving me without my knowing but in a positive way!
Old May 4, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by harryhood
Going SFO-PVG soon, and the only C seats left unassigned were the row 7 middle seats. Blech.

I've been checking every day (2-3 times a day) to see what, if anything, frees up. Then when I logged in, I found myself in 10A -- window seat. I prefer UD but thank you UA for moving me without my knowing but in a positive way!
This where a subscription to EF comes in handy and worth every penny.
Old May 6, 2013, 12:01 pm

United changed my seat arrangement

Hi all,

I booked two tickets 2 months ago and chose two seats together, but when I check back today found united just changed one of this seats. I call them and told them i need two seats together but they said they sold all tickets out all I can do is buy economy plus seats which costs $140.

Any suggestions? Can i have a chance to get to seats in airport?
Its 6 hours long flight, i really need to take care of my daughter.

Thanks, have a good Monday
Old May 6, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA/UA/DL
You may want to check this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...t-changes.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.